Mobile menu

dealing with a publishing house
Thread poster: Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 29, 2003

Hello all,

I am considering accepting a proofreading assignment for a publishing house. The client is a non-profit, and I am offering them reduced rates. I have a couple of questions, as I am not used to dealing directly with publishing houses:

1/ Would it be reasonable to ask to be credited in the book as a proofreader? Or does that happen automatically?

2/ How about asking for a complimentary copy of the finished book in exchange for the reduced rate? Would that be up to them to offer?

Any advice or past experience will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Susana


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:29
English to Tamil
+ ...
Take with a pinch of salt May 29, 2003

The client may indeed be Mother Theresa, Mahatma Gandhi all rolled into one. This does not in any way reduce your work. In fact with the Mahatma, it wouldhave been much more painful, in that you will not be paid much but you are supposed to give your best. As such the idea of accepting a reduced rate itself has to be looked into with due care. This I am telling you even though your question was not about giving reduced rate, as you have already made up your mind on that.
Now the answer to your query is obvious. Do be firm in your demands. Get your name in as the official proofreader. Do demand complimentary copies and what not.
Let the past practice not be a guide. You just cocentrate on your demands. As the saying goes in my mother tongue, Tamil, only on crying does the child get milk. No delicate feelings here.



Susana Galilea wrote:

Hello all,

I am considering accepting a proofreading assignment for a publishing house. The client is a non-profit, and I am offering them reduced rates. I have a couple of questions, as I am not used to dealing directly with publishing houses:

1/ Would it be reasonable to ask to be credited in the book as a proofreader? Or does that happen automatically?

2/ How about asking for a complimentary copy of the finished book in exchange for the reduced rate? Would that be up to them to offer?

Any advice or past experience will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Susana


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I appreciate your input, Narasimhan May 29, 2003

Narasimhan Raghavan wrote:
As such the idea of accepting a reduced rate itself has to be looked into with due care. This I am telling you even though your question was not about giving reduced rate, as you have already made up your mind on that.


You are correct in that I already have made up my mind about offering reduced rates for this particular project, and obviously I give careful consideration before making a decision of this kind.

Indeed, my question has to do more with common practices in the publishing field, which I am not particularly familiar with.

Thanks again for any postings addressing that issue.

S.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:59
English to French
Well... May 29, 2003

Narasimhan Raghavan wrote:
...Now the answer to your query is obvious. Do be firm in your demands. Get your name in as the official proofreader. Do demand complimentary copies and what not.
Let the past practice not be a guide. You just cocentrate on your demands. As the saying goes in my mother tongue, Tamil, only on crying does the child get milk. No delicate feelings here.


What she mentionned seem fair enough and I guess she should mention it. I would be very surprised if they were to reject such a fair request.

But that's not a matter of milk, there. When you work for a charity, it's not a matter of what you get, it's a matter of what you give. That's why one would charge less. or not charge at all.

IMO, she just ask what she wants. She already agreed to do it, so ...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Claudia Krysztofiak  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:59
English to German
+ ...
What you ask seems just fair to me May 29, 2003

Some years ago I did some proof reading for a organisation which by no means was non-profit, and it was absolutely clear from the very start, that I got a free copy of the final version.

If you do lower rates for someone, this should always be a question of give and take. You give your work for less money, that seems to be something you decided you can afford. They can give something back they can afford (if not the money), which is giving your name in the work, which costs them very little and is a way to express their gratitude and then give you at least one copy of the final version.
Do not work for takers who are not ready to give something back at all.
That is my opinion.
Good luck!
Claudia


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:59
Partial member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Names May 29, 2003

I worked for 10 years in the publishing field (in Italy) and, as far as I know, the "proofreader" is mentioned only if he/she actually re-writes the text. It's not automatic at all, but it's something you can ask for.

You should ask for a free copy and even for a discount on copies you might want to buy (if this is the case).


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Lucinda  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:59
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
What you ask is fair and should not be a problem Jun 3, 2003

If you have decided on the reduced rate, so be it. You can definitely ask for your name to be put in the front as the official proofreader and request a complimentary copy. I just finished translating a management book for a Dutch professor and we agreed to mention my name in the book and send me a complimentary copy.

If you have not dealt with these folks before you might get things in writing in a formal contract. The ATA has a couple of good sample contracts, I believe. I mean your requests (name mentioning as well as copy to be received) as well as the rate agreed upon and the payment schedule you agreed upon. Do it, trust me on this one!

Good luck!
Lucinda


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

dealing with a publishing house

Advanced search


Translation news





Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs