Jan 21, 2002

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-22 16:45 ]

Direct link Reply with quote

Rachel Gruenberger-Elbaz
Local time: 06:37
Hebrew to German
+ ...
"Chuzpe" Jan 22, 2002

To ask you to do three complete translations is what we call a \"chuzpeh\" in Yiddish... schlicht eine Frechheit. We had similar cases in Israel recently, and discovered, that the client just split his \"samples\" between various translators and thus got the whole translation for free. The maximum for a sample should be one page (200 words or 1500 characters). In this specific case I would just refuse, and offer them samples from other translations you have done which are similar. Be tough with clients and good luck!

R.G.

RSmith
France
Local time: 05:37
French to English
+ ...
excessive test translations Jan 22, 2002

Hello,

I think this point was raised fairly recently- I\'ve had a similar experience with an agency recently too and I ended up calling them and politely pointing out that in general, test translations are between 200-300 words - they\'d sent me three files totalling over 2000 words!!! They put it down to a mistake on their part - although it did occur to me that it could have been a \"free\" translation for a client....

Anyway, in general, I think 200-300 words is acceptable and largely sufficient to be able to assess the quality of a translator.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

no title

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
TransPDF.com PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs