Thread poster: Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 7, 2003

Hello all,

Here is my situation: I recently spotted a major typo on the packaging of my favorite non-dairy product, and I decided to write to Consumer Affairs alerting them of the mistake. When they wrote back to thank me and offer me some freebies, I took the opportunity to inquire about their needs regarding the translation of their website and marketing materials. I was advised to contact the Corporate Office, for which I was provided the address (but no contact name).

I am hoping I can get some advice as to how to proceed from this point, as I have little experience contacting corporations directly. My sense is I should stress how familiar I am with the marketing approach of the corporation in question, since I am a long-time consumer of their products. Also, from what I can see none of their websites has been translated, at a time when more and more corporations in the U.S. are reaching out to their Spanish-speaking consumer base.

Basically, how do you create an opportunity for yourself without coming across as patronizing? And should the purpose of my first approach be to find out the name of the contact person? I am reluctant to go the "To Whom It May Concern" way

Any advice would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Direct link Reply with quote

Guy Bray  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:23
Member (2002)
French to English
Go for the CEO Jul 7, 2003

I would get the name of the corporation's CEO from its website, and write to him personally, copying the relevant VPs.

Good luck.

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
CEO or Sales Manager Jul 7, 2003

The CEO and the people in the sales office are the only ones
who will profit by an increase in turnover..
The other ones will only get an increase in workload..

[Edited at 2003-07-07 20:10]

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:53
English to Tamil
+ ...
No emails please Jul 9, 2003

Try to get the name of the CEO and send him a nice printout of your presentation letter, which may better not exceed a page of doule space typing, and have easy to read paragraphs. Being a linguist you should have no problems in drafting such a letter. And no emails as they tend to get deleted at the flimsiest excuse. The good old postal route should do the trick.
Having said that let me tell you what I have been successfully doing all these 24 years. I send the letter as mentioned above in handwritten script. If your handwriting is legible, try it at least once. I know what I am talking about.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice on approaching a corporation

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs