Thread poster: Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 14, 2003

Hello all,

I originally posted this in the "Money Matters" section, but perhaps it belongs here instead.

I am curious as to whether there is a general consensus on how to approach the pricing of slogans in translation. Do most of you charge by the slogan? By the hour whenever research is necessary? By the word at higher rates?

Any ideas as to where I can find info on the going rates for this specific type of assignment will be much appreciated.

Susana Galilea
Accredited Translator, EUTI

[Edited at 2003-10-31 22:06]

Direct link Reply with quote
Local time: 17:24
German to English
+ ...
Flat rate Jul 14, 2003

Hi Susanna,

I do a lot of work for advertising agencies and always charge a flat rate for slogans - equivalent to a couple of hours' work. I generally give a selection of alternative options and the pros and cons of each one.

Hope this helps

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:54
English to Tamil
+ ...
Slogans are something different Jul 14, 2003

Some 30 years back I won the third price (a black and white TV) in a slogan contest. My slogan just said: "xxx soap converts bathing into pleasure from a dreaded routine". Just 10 words and I landed a TV set, which in those days cost some 250 US dollars. Quite a good rate what? Jokes apart, I want to make the point that in this case you have to negociate a lumpsum and not be content with word rate.

Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:24
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
my experience Jul 14, 2003

Hi Susana!
I was contacted last year for this type of thing, and it takes a lot of time. It was for an agency, and the rate they pay is the equivalent of a page of translation (250 words or 1 cartelle as we measure stuff here in Italy) per slogan. In some cases only one slogan would fit (I had photos to give me an idea of the campaign), but in other cases I gave them 3 or 4 slogans because I had several ideas. Then the company picked what they liked best.
I can tell you that it's easier and faster to translate 250 words than it is to come up with a catchy slogan. So take what ever your regular rate is for a page/cartella and apply it to each slogan.

[Edited at 2003-07-14 15:33]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

advice on pricing slogans

Advanced search

Translation news

Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs