In regard to Kudoz, should majority rule? (eng/spa) (environmental science)
Thread poster: belindaos
belindaos  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 2, 2003

Hello. On July 31, I went to Kudoz for help in the translation of the term "atmospheric fallout" in the following context: "Atmospheric fallout and runoff of acids is a serious problem in lakes vulnerable to acid deposition." (See: http://www.proz.com/kudoz/491042) (This I did after research on my own, and not having found a suitable translation.) Within minutes, I received two answers which coincided in "precipitación atmosférica". Since then, twelve other proz members have said they "agree". I went to the references they offered, and found that in the vast majority, the source was in one way or another using "precipitación atmosférica" as a synonym for "lluvia" or "precipitación". This is not how the term is used in this context.

In trying to avoid confusion and get the most accurate meaning across, I kept searching and found "lluvia radiactiva". Though I know "precipitación atmosférica" is used, I feel a little bit more comforatable with this other translation. On the other hand, I also think that the proz members who proposed "precipitación atmosférica" are experienced in the field, and I respect this.

What do you think, should majority rule or should I go out on my own? In other words, based on your experience, which do you think it should be: "lluvia radiactiva"..., "precipitación atmosférica radiactiva"..., or "precipitación atmosférica", as the majority contends?

If you could give me your opinion, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Belinda

[Edited at 2003-08-02 16:33]

Direct link Reply with quote

two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 15:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
It is your choice Aug 2, 2003

It is your translation, and therefore your choice. If your research makes you feel more comfortable with "lluvia radioactiva", then go for it by all means!
Regards,
Enrique

Daniela McKeeby
United States
Local time: 14:48
Italian to English
+ ...
Never Aug 3, 2003

Everybody is human, nobody is perfect. I have seen a few answers that were absolutely hilarious and yet many translators agreed. I don't speak Spanish and I have no idea what is all about in your particular case but I usually follow one rule: only a few hits on Google is a hint that the expression is wrong (or hits coming ONLY from translations). Not to mention the fact that a translator could be answering a few hours later, after other translators have already agreed with the wrong answer. ProZ is a wonderful site and, as far as I know, the only one able to provide help in a matter of seconds BUT always take the answers with salt (and eventually pepper).
End of the story? The translation is yours - one way or another

Anna Haxen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 20:48
Member (2005)
English to Danish
+ ...
Why radiactiva? Aug 3, 2003

Hello. Spanish is not my language, but the environment is my field, so I'll venture an answer anyway. If I am correct and radiactiva meens radioactive, I don't understand why you would want to use this term when the issue is acid fallout. I think the original suggestions are best. Remember, both fallout and runoff pertain to acid. Hope this is helpful.

Regards

Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Aug 3, 2003

Thank you, Enrique.

Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. I'll keep it in mind. Aug 3, 2003

Thank you, Daniela, for sharing your experience, your "rule", and your advice. I'll try to keep it all in mind. I agree, Proz.com is a wonderful site.

OneDocument, S.L.
Spain
Local time: 20:48
Member (2004)
French to Spanish
+ ...
Lluvia ácida Aug 3, 2003

Anna Haxen wrote:

I don't understand why you would want to use this term when the issue is acid fallout. I think the original suggestions are best. Remember, both fallout and runoff pertain to acid.

Hi!

I totally agree with Anna. If you want, use "lluvia ácida", but never "radiactiva". Acids have nothing to do with radiactivity!.

¡Saludos y besos!

Mig

Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Aug 5, 2003

Thank you, Anna Haxen and Mig for helping to clear up my blurred vision. I´m afraid I followed a lead, and failed to see the obvious. Your participation was very helpful.

Belinda

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

In regard to Kudoz, should majority rule? (eng/spa) (environmental science)

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs