Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 03:12
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Aug 28, 2003

.... as the rather improbable thing has happened, and my husband is beeing headhunted to Canada (we're still waiting for the final offer to decide, but I'm trying to get ahead), I'd like to hear other freelancers' experience with moving from one country to another.
I have an Italian VAT registration, an annual volume of work amounting to 20-28000 Euros, and work about 1/3 of my time for different Italian agencies.
What I'm wondering about is wheteher I need to reregister in Canada,
... See more
.... as the rather improbable thing has happened, and my husband is beeing headhunted to Canada (we're still waiting for the final offer to decide, but I'm trying to get ahead), I'd like to hear other freelancers' experience with moving from one country to another.
I have an Italian VAT registration, an annual volume of work amounting to 20-28000 Euros, and work about 1/3 of my time for different Italian agencies.
What I'm wondering about is wheteher I need to reregister in Canada, or if I can keep working from my European VAT-position.
If I do need to re-register, does anybody have any experience regarding how much work you'll lose by moving?
So, whoever has moved within Europe or intercontinentally: I'm all ears!

[Edited at 2003-08-28 01:57]

[Edited at 2003-08-28 02:56]
Collapse

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:12
German to English
Me too! Aug 28, 2003

I'm about to move to Germany and would love to know other people'e experiences

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:12
Flemish to English
+ ...
Websites Aug 28, 2003

Have a look at http://canada.gc.ca/. It is a good start.
The same is true for the link of the German Government. It was mentioned on the German forum. From a fiscal point of view, Germany is less interesting than the UK. Social security contributions are higher. These are the main reasons why a German friend of mine wants to move to the UK and have his 'seat of fortune" there.

Kathi Stock
Kathi Stock  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:12
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
I moved from Germany to the United States Aug 28, 2003

Actually, there was not much change in regards to my work. I set up my little office at home, got a phone, fax and internet connection and started working.
I still get most jobs via email.
Don't forget to register with local authorities. I contacted the local Chamber of Commerce and they were very helpful. They can tell you all in regards to VAT, licenses and other permissions & regulations. The best of all is - their advise is free of charge...
See more
Actually, there was not much change in regards to my work. I set up my little office at home, got a phone, fax and internet connection and started working.
I still get most jobs via email.
Don't forget to register with local authorities. I contacted the local Chamber of Commerce and they were very helpful. They can tell you all in regards to VAT, licenses and other permissions & regulations. The best of all is - their advise is free of charge
Good luck!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moving to a different country

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »