How do you make sure you get paid?
Thread poster: Elvira Stoianov

Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 15:33
German to Romanian
+ ...
Feb 16, 2002

I would like to know other opinions on how to make sure you get paid for your work. Has it happened to anyone not to get paid for a job received through ProZ? And those of you who bid on jobs do you take some measures to make sure you will get paid or do you take the risk of doing work without getting paid?

Any opinions on this matter are appreciated.

Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...

To safeguard payment: get to know the outsourcer Feb 16, 2002

Never finally accept a job without having:

1. Got all normal detalis like address, phone, fax, email etc.

2. Talked on the phone with the project manager and got a first hand expression

3. Having checked the TCR(and/or PP) list

(4. Having asked those lists)

Got a reassuring impression of the outsourcer. These guidlines have saved my money now for almost 6 years.

Best regards

Mats Wiman

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Points to watch Feb 16, 2002

I have not had a lot of jobs through Proz.com yet, but the points I watch for are these:

1. As Mats says, always make sure you have a physical postal address for the client, plus a telephone number that is not a handy and, if possible, a fax number.

2. Think about what country the potential client is in, and in what currency they wish to pay you. Check up on matters like whether you have to pay the costs of the international transfer in order to receive your money. Also, do not accept payment in any currency not convenient to you, for which you might have to pay conversion fees on a day when you get as little as possible of your own currency in exchange for that one.

Ideally, stick to working for agencies in your own country. If you do this, you can also sue anyone who doesn\'t pay you. You\'ll never be able to sue anyone in a foreign country who doesn\'t pay you.

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO)
Local time: 09:33
German to English
+ ...
I agree 100% Feb 16, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-02-16 20:10, MatsWiman wrote:

Never finally accept a job without having:

1. Got all normal detalis like address, phone, fax, email etc.

2. Talked on the phone with the project manager and got a first hand expression

3. Having checked the TCR(and/or PP) list

(4. Having asked those lists)

Got a reassuring impression of the outsourcer. These guidlines have saved my money now for almost 6 years.

Best regards

Mats Wiman

And also see my \"16 rules\" for dealing with agencies:

www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&eid_c=22169&topic=556&forum=18&10

Scott Li  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 22:33
Member (2005)
Chinese to English
+ ...
ask for reference Feb 17, 2002

You can also ask for references from translators in other language pair from the agency and check with their experiences.

A good agency should not mind to provide such references.

yacine  Identity Verified
Arabic to French
+ ...
payment Feb 17, 2002

Dear Friend/colleague,

To what was already said to you, I can add that you should always ask for a purchase order. This purchase order must contain 1)name of the comapany 2)address of the company 3)telephone of the company 4)Fax of the company 5)Name and surname of the project manager6) IVA number (for Italian companies and URSSAFF number(for French number)7)Agreed on price agreed on deadline for payment 9)target language10)source language

I hope it helps you

Yacine

Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 11:33
English to Spanish
The advice in this forum is crucial... Feb 20, 2002

when dealing with new customers. Just a few more:

- You can ask for a front downpayment on large jobs. Most clients feel reassured in this way that you won´t dissappear in the middle of the project since they have already \"booked\" your services, and you definitely know they are good payers.

- For those 400 words projects, you can deliver the translation in a read only format (a protected .doc or .pdf). After they pay you, you deliver the original files, glossaries and all you had previously agreed upon. Of course, these read-only files can be easily cracked, but most people don´t know how and it´s quite probable you hirer is one of those people .

After a few projects in which you show how good a translator you are and they show how good payers they are, you can raise this limits and trust a little bit more.

Cheers,

Rossana

Evelyna Radoslavova  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:33
English to French
+ ...
Thank you all... how about this case: Mar 4, 2002

All of your suggestions are valuable (including your rules on dealing with agencies, Werner - I will certainly use many of them).

Now I have a somewhat different case: I did a couple of jobs for a new client (without paying attention to several red flags, shame on me!). I got paid for the larger one, but now it would appear that they are in deep s*** and will default payment on the other.

The agency is located in my country (Canada). It has no justifiable reason whatsoever to withhold payment and if I go to court, I have no doubt that the judgment will be in my favour (I have a purchase order, an acknowledged invoice, etc.) However, I would rather try everything else first, since I believe that the odds of recovering my money after a successful suit are very small and far away. I have been trying to cajole the client to pay me and have given him until tomorrow to call me with a payment plan.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO)
Local time: 09:33
German to English
+ ...
Deep s.... Mar 4, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-04 11:24, evelynar wrote:

All of your suggestions are valuable (including your rules on dealing with agencies, Werner - I will certainly use many of them).

Now I have a somewhat different case: I did a couple of jobs for a new client (without paying attention to several red flags, shame on me!). I got paid for the larger one, but now it would appear that they are in deep s*** and will default payment on the other.

The agency is located in my country (Canada). It has no justifiable reason whatsoever to withhold payment and if I go to court, I have no doubt that the judgment will be in my favour (I have a purchase order, an acknowledged invoice, etc.) However, I would rather try everything else first, since I believe that the odds of recovering my money after a successful suit are very small and far away. I have been trying to cajole the client to pay me and have given him until tomorrow to call me with a payment plan.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!

Well, as I understand it, they have already informed you that you will not see any money on that other job, correct? If that\'s the case, END OF DISCUSSION! Time to act! Hand their accounts over to a collection agency. You are both located in Canada, so that\'ll make things a bit \"easier\" for you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you make sure you get paid?

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs