Mobile menu

Copyediting rates
Thread poster: AndyC
Sep 10, 2003

Offered (and completed) editing job for Washington DC-based multilateral financial organization. Source text written in English by (possibly brilliant but) non-native speaker, whose prose took some time to handle. My standard rate for this kind of thing is half my translation rate (which is always measured in source text words). In your view, what’s a good rate-per-word for this kind of copyediting?

Thanks a mill for all responses.

Andy

Direct link Reply with quote

Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 06:27
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I generally charge per hour for all non-translation jobs Sep 10, 2003

So I work out how much I can translate in an hour, work out how much I would generally make from that hour's work, and charge that as my hourly rate.

If you only charge half your translation rate and you end up taking just as long, then you're losing money hand over foot....

HTH

Alison

Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
hourly rates Sep 10, 2003

I charge an hourly rate for all proofreading and editing assignments. Agencies tend to offer a single rate for reviewing, whether it entails simple proofing or more extensive editing.

After many years of reviewing jobs of all qualities, I find what works best for me is to apply different rates for proofreading, basic editing and extensive editing/rewriting.

Hope this helps.

Susana Galilea
www.accentonspanish.com

[Edited at 2003-09-11 21:08]

AndyC
TOPIC STARTER
Reply Sep 10, 2003

Alison -- very many thanks for responding. I'll make all effort to work it out as you suggest. "Hand over fist". I'm not sure why
it is that, but it is that.

Saludos y un abrazo,
Andy

AndyC
TOPIC STARTER
Susana Sep 10, 2003

Thanks so much for answering. Excellent info ...

Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 06:27
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Of fists and feet..... Sep 11, 2003

Andy....

Sometimes it's just fun to misquote a commonly used phrase
Keeps people on their toes (not that I'd do that in a translation mind you!)

Best,

Alison

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copyediting rates

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs