Xiaoping Fu  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:04
Chinese to English
+ ...
Feb 19, 2002

One posting in this site has the following requirements:

Bidder requirements

Must be young and energetic (age < 30 years old), Must be Chinese native, Must be either a buddhist or christian, ....

I am wondering what the age and religion have to do with translation.

Anybody has any ideas?

Xiaoping

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:04
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Maybe they need to translate a religious material Feb 19, 2002

I am not sure about the age, but as far as religion, maybe the material that needs to be translated has a religious nature. One of my areas of expertise is religion, and often one of the conditions that they want me to meet is to be a Christian, or I would not get the job. I think this makes sense. As far as the age, this is probably a personal preference...
[addsig]

Camara
Camara
United States
Local time: 20:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
Been there, heard that. Feb 19, 2002

I once had an employer who asked me my religion, I later found out he was an Arab and he wouldn\'t hire Jews. So the request does not strike me odd at all. Like they say, \"been there, done that\" in this case \"heard that\" Just take it with stride. Was seems odd to me is the \"energetic\" part, what\'s with that? What are they going to ask you to do? Why not methodical, hard working, analitical, etc.

Ok, my 2 cents are up!

Saludos

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 02:04
German to English
+ ...
Well... Feb 19, 2002

The age part means they\'re going to have you working day and night, so you\'ve got to be young and fit to keep up with the strain - or that you have to have a feeling for the language spoken by you young people, or both.

Religion? Dunno.... Maybe they don\'t want any members of \"wierdo\" religions doing their translations due to their nature.... Although as a Buddhist, I can tell you that gets pretty wierd sometimes too! ... See more
The age part means they\'re going to have you working day and night, so you\'ve got to be young and fit to keep up with the strain - or that you have to have a feeling for the language spoken by you young people, or both.

Religion? Dunno.... Maybe they don\'t want any members of \"wierdo\" religions doing their translations due to their nature.... Although as a Buddhist, I can tell you that gets pretty wierd sometimes too!

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-02-19 08:09 ]
Collapse

Camara
Camara
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Been there, heard that. Feb 19, 2002

I once had an employer who asked me my religion, I later found out he was an Arab and he wouldn\'t hire Jews. So the request does not strike me odd at all. Like they say, \"been there, done that\" in this case \"heard that\" Just take it with stride. Was seems odd to me is the \"energetic\" part, what\'s with that? What are they going to ask you to do? Why not methodical, hard working, analytical, etc.

Ok, my 2 cents are up!

Saludos

Silvina Beatriz Codina
Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 21:04
English to Spanish
Is it necessary to share the original document's opinion? Feb 19, 2002

Recently, in another job-posting site I saw a similar request. It was a charitable religious organization that was looking for translators, and I found it interesting because a lot of the work involved documents about human rights, social services, etc, subjects I am experienced with and that I enjoy. However, one of the requirements was to be ready to pledge a belief in Jesus Christ being our Savior and in other points of religious doctrine. As an atheist, I was automatically eliminated.
... See more
Recently, in another job-posting site I saw a similar request. It was a charitable religious organization that was looking for translators, and I found it interesting because a lot of the work involved documents about human rights, social services, etc, subjects I am experienced with and that I enjoy. However, one of the requirements was to be ready to pledge a belief in Jesus Christ being our Savior and in other points of religious doctrine. As an atheist, I was automatically eliminated.

I found this requirement highly discriminatory. Even if the work involved religious texts (and it didn\'t), what you need in that case is not belief in religion, but knowledge about religious subjects, and you can be familiar with them even if you are not religious. I remember that years ago in a language class I attended the subject of Christian beliefs came up, and the professor asked some questions about the sacraments and some of the parables from the Gospels, and I was the only one who knew about them, and I am an atheist!

Just imagine how it would be, if we had to share the opinions and beliefs expressed in a document in order to be able to translate it. Our translating abilities would be a bit limited, wouldn\'t they?
Collapse

xeni (X)
xeni (X)
English to Russian
+ ...
It is discriminatory, but Feb 19, 2002

Yes, this requirement is discriminatory without any doubt, but I think the employer has the perfect right to choose a translator according to any criteria they want.

And though it is not necessary to share the original document\'s opinion, it is highly desirable. Not from the professional point of view, no, but all other criteria being equal I would prefer to work with somebody who shares my values, wouldn\'t you?

Laura Molinari
Laura Molinari  Identity Verified
Canada
French to English
+ ...
Religion question not so strange Feb 19, 2002

I think the fact that they are asking for a specific religion is simply that the text may likely deal with a buddhist or christian ideals and concepts. Just like sometimes offers specify \'must be lawyer or doctor\' when others can do legal or medical translations. I think they are looking for someone highly versed in Christian and Buddhist concepts, ideas, in order to do the translation justice.

As for age, could be a text aimed at getting young people back in touch with th
... See more
I think the fact that they are asking for a specific religion is simply that the text may likely deal with a buddhist or christian ideals and concepts. Just like sometimes offers specify \'must be lawyer or doctor\' when others can do legal or medical translations. I think they are looking for someone highly versed in Christian and Buddhist concepts, ideas, in order to do the translation justice.

As for age, could be a text aimed at getting young people back in touch with their religious roots...

As for the posting Silvina is referring to, it must be WVU, no? I saw the same thing and think that is no way to get a highly qualified translator. Maybe this is why I see that posting months after I saw it the first time on some job lists I get...
[addsig]
Collapse

bochkor
bochkor
English to German
+ ...
Let them know they are discriminating! Feb 19, 2002

I totally agree with all writers before me, who were struck by the unfairness of this ad. But I\'d like us all to realize it for what it really is: DISCRIMINATION!!!

Of course, it\'s another matter, whether it\'s worth your while to take this example of electronic discrimination to court or not, simply because I don\'t know what constitutes a hard evidence. But one thing\'s for sure: I would at least send that company an e-mail (even if not applying) to let them know that wh
... See more
I totally agree with all writers before me, who were struck by the unfairness of this ad. But I\'d like us all to realize it for what it really is: DISCRIMINATION!!!

Of course, it\'s another matter, whether it\'s worth your while to take this example of electronic discrimination to court or not, simply because I don\'t know what constitutes a hard evidence. But one thing\'s for sure: I would at least send that company an e-mail (even if not applying) to let them know that what hey\'re doing is dicriminating, which is illegal, so they better drop that practice! And if they get mad, who cares? At least, I as someone stepped up to the plate making a point that this kind of ad will not be tolerated.

Another way is to use the Blue Board to rate this agency and don\'t shy away to use the words \"religious and age discrimination\"!

Hope you all agree.
Collapse

AndrewBM
AndrewBM
Ireland
Local time: 01:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
Just a thought Feb 20, 2002

Do I have to share my client\'s philosophy and religion? The age requirement is a no-goer, anyway. But how about religion? Obviously, there are open and closed religions. Which means not every religion is open to the public.

However, if a religion claims to be an open one (e.g. Christianity) it may not allow religious descrimination, as pointed out above.

An esoteric society would be better off using their secret networks instead of this one (apologies
... See more
Do I have to share my client\'s philosophy and religion? The age requirement is a no-goer, anyway. But how about religion? Obviously, there are open and closed religions. Which means not every religion is open to the public.

However, if a religion claims to be an open one (e.g. Christianity) it may not allow religious descrimination, as pointed out above.

An esoteric society would be better off using their secret networks instead of this one (apologies to Henry, if I said something wrong).
[addsig]
Collapse

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 21:04
English to Spanish
It is discrimination... Feb 20, 2002

although I can make some allowances on the age cathegory (perhaps they want to address a particular age group?), religion is amongst the questions that I hate most in job applications or general forms.

I believe it´s as personal as asking one´s sexual preferences and political affiliations. I tend to answer mockingly if it´s an oral application or simply \"N/A\".

Moreover, Ms. Codina says:

Quote:... See more
although I can make some allowances on the age cathegory (perhaps they want to address a particular age group?), religion is amongst the questions that I hate most in job applications or general forms.

I believe it´s as personal as asking one´s sexual preferences and political affiliations. I tend to answer mockingly if it´s an oral application or simply \"N/A\".

Moreover, Ms. Codina says:

Quote:

...the subject of Christian beliefs came up, and the professor asked some questions about the sacraments and some of the parables from the Gospels, and I was the only one who knew about them, and I am an atheist!

situation I have been witness of (and even protagonist!) several times.

If the translation is about a religious matter you don´t need a beliver: you need a theologist (or someone with a solid background knowledge of the subject).

Good luck,

Rossana ▲ Collapse

David Rockell (X)
David Rockell (X)
Chinese to English
Buddist is not unusual but a video games-playing buddist? Feb 20, 2002

They may have their reasons but I have to say I find this combination odd. When I first saw it I though it must be bogus. Amitabha, Shanzai, Shanzai! Pow, zap, whizz...

Marta Argat
Marta Argat  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:04
Chinese to Ukrainian
+ ...
"only for left-handed/red-haired translators" - Feb 20, 2002

that will be the next step.

I\'ve been volunteering for a Christian charity organisation. They sent me a text about Christmas, but first asked: \"Do you share the religious beliefs stated in the text? If not - you may refuse, and we give the text to someone else.\" That\'s really tactical: you are asked about your religion to be sure the task won\'t offend you!

Marta Argat
Marta Argat  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:04
Chinese to Ukrainian
+ ...
"only for left-handed/red-haired translators" - Feb 20, 2002

that will be the next step.

I\'ve been volunteering for a Christian charity organisation. They sent me a text about Christmas, but first asked: \"Do you share the religious beliefs stated in the text? If not - you may refuse, and we give the text to someone else.\" That\'s really tactical: you are asked about your religion to be sure the task won\'t offend you!

chooi
chooi
Malaysia
Local time: 08:04
Chinese to English
+ ...
Discriminatory bidding requirements Feb 20, 2002

I saw the particular ad that XiaoPing mentioned. I qualified for most of the requirements (including the country) except the age bit. Slightly older though Anyway, it seems that they wanted people who play arcade and PC games (written at the bottom of the description). Maybe that explains the age requirements. However, i sincerely do not know what makes them think that older people don\'t play anymore???

Well, even if i qualified,
... See more
I saw the particular ad that XiaoPing mentioned. I qualified for most of the requirements (including the country) except the age bit. Slightly older though Anyway, it seems that they wanted people who play arcade and PC games (written at the bottom of the description). Maybe that explains the age requirements. However, i sincerely do not know what makes them think that older people don\'t play anymore???

Well, even if i qualified, I would not bid for this job due to the absurd discriminatory requirements that were listed. (I am particularly sensitive about religious discrimination) BTW, I noticed that no one has bid for the job yet. Just wish them luck.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Age and Religion requirements for Translators

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »