Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: how to deal such kind of a person?
Thread poster: Aisha Rishi

Aisha Rishi
Pakistan
Local time: 22:44
English to Urdu
+ ...
Sep 21, 2003

One of the fellow translator is after me to explain to him how I use a certain program, which is my speciality and which I know not many of the translators of my languge pair can work in. So ofcourse that makes me unique and clients prefer me over them. I have been polite with this person, but I dont want to tell him him ofcourse, because then it wont be JUST my speciality anymore, and I will be losing my clients then. It is kind of a trade secret, and It took me one year to find this solution all by myself. So how do I politely tell this person that I dont want to tell him my trade secret? oh and btw he is not coming out in the open and asking me for it, he is going round and round this thing. He offered me that he would forward me the work concerning that particular program, but I think then he changed his mind, to not to pay me and to do it himself. That is fine with me, if he wants to do it himself, but not by learning from me ofcourse.

[Edited at 2003-09-21 12:29]

Direct link Reply with quote

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:44
English to Turkish
I cannot see any reason Sep 21, 2003

why you don't make them exactly the same explanation you've just made here. Still, if you can't tell all these to them openly and directly you can try this: next time this fellow translator contacts you tell them that you're very busy at the moment, that you have to finish an article you are working on before sparing the time to have a discussion, and that this article is about the very program they've been asking about, and it is to be published in the Proz.com site's "Being Independent" forum, under the title "how to deal with such kind of a person"

[Edited at 2003-09-21 16:39]

Aisha Rishi
Pakistan
English to Urdu
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
i just cant say NO Sep 21, 2003

Xola wrote:

why you don't make them exactly the same explanation you've just made here. Still, if you can't tell all these to them openly and directly you can try this: next time this fellow translator contacts you tell them that you're very busy at the moment, that you have to finish an article you are working on before sparing the time to have a discussion, and that this article is about the very program they've been asking about, and it is to be published in the Proz.com site's "Being Independent" forum, under the title "how to deal such kind a person"

I know its a very bad habit of mine that i am too soft hearted and I cant say NO to anyone. But this is a matter of my job, this is what I do for living ofcourse, so if i start losing clients, then thats it, as most of u can refer to it urself. I was thinking along these lines too of saying politely that I dont have time to spare to explain all the procedure etc. But it did really make me angry how this person was trying to be smart with me, ugh, some people.

DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:44
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
Lets be generous about the motives of our fellow translators, BUT..... Sep 21, 2003

The decision whether to teach others how to do something, which you think will disadvantage you by doing it, is yours - no one else has any right to say that you should.
IF directly asked to teach it, and if you need or wish to refuse (and if you feel obliged to explain, which you aren't unless you choose to), it would seem perfectly reasonable to say - politely & nicely but firmly - that you spent a year acquiring these skills, and it would be against your commercial interests to teach them to other people, despite the fact that you would like to(!), and that you are willing to help your colleagues in any way that doesn't go against your interests.

As an offer of commercial cooperation (the way you describe it, that is), offering to send you work in exchange for you teaching the skill which you say is needed to do the work, doesn't seem very persuasive. The way you describe it, it does seem to come down to asking a favour - which of course is up to you.

I'm not clear from what you say, whether or not you are being directly asked - you will have to decide for yourself whether you need to say anything at all. If it is just a question of hints, maybe not.

I and others are genuinely indebted for much valuable advice here, freely and generously given, but it was the choice of the givers to share it or keep it to themselves. If you don't choose to share this particular information for the sensible sounding reasons you have given, I'm sure you will help colleagues in some other way that won't harm you, on another occasion.

But whatever you decide to do, and whatever the situation, be generous in what you say about your fellow translators motives (so as to avoid aggravated feelings) particularly in public - after all, you are in control of the situation, because you have the decision.

Best wishes
Giuli

[Edited at 2003-09-21 15:09]

Aisha Rishi
Pakistan
English to Urdu
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
oh but i am generous Sep 21, 2003

Dr. Giuli Kvrivishvili wrote:

The decision whether to teach others how to do something, which you think will disadvantage you by doing it, is yours - no one else has any right to say that you should.
IF directly asked to teach it, and if you need or wish to refuse (and if you feel obliged to explain, which you aren't unless you choose to), it would seem perfectly reasonable to say - politely & nicely but firmly - that you spent a year acquiring these skills, and it would be against your commercial interests to teach them to other people, despite the fact that you would like to(!), and that you are willing to help your colleagues in any way that doesn't go against your interests.

As an offer of commercial cooperation (the way you describe it, that is), offering to send you work in exchange for you teaching the skill which you say is needed to do the work, doesn't seem very persuasive. The way you describe it, it does seem to come down to asking a favour - which of course is up to you.

I'm not clear from what you say, whether or not you are being directly asked - you will have to decide for yourself whether you need to say anything at all. If it is just a question of hints, maybe not.

I and others are genuinely indebted for much valuable advice here, freely and generously given, but it was the choice of the givers to share it or keep it to themselves. If you don't choose to share this particular information for the sensible sounding reasons you have given, I'm sure you will help colleagues in some other way that won't harm you, on another occasion.

But whatever you decide to do, and whatever the situation, be generous in what you say about your fellow translators motives (so as to avoid aggravated feelings) particularly in public - after all, you are in control of the situation, because you have the decision.

Best wishes
Giuli

I always help peeple around in forums etc, with whatever problem I can help them with. It was just the way this person tried to be over smart with me. I didnt ask him to send me work and in exchange I will teach him, no. He contacted me asked my rates etc, and said that he would provide me with work for that particular program. I said ok, but then all of a sudden he started asking me all sorts of questions about it, like how it is used, etc etc etc. So obviously that shows that he doesnt want to give me work but want to save his money and do it himself. I have no problem with that. but as I said not by learning from me and then dumping me, and when I know that there are very few of us that can work around that program, obviously I will be losing major clients. I dont think I am being selfish here.

[Edited at 2003-09-21 13:44]

United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
If my posting is read carefully Sep 21, 2003

It is clear that I was NOT saying "be generous" with this information, in fact I said that it seemed sensible that you should wish to keep it for yourself in the situation you describe.

I mentioned generosity in a different sense

It's quite clear from my posting that I DON'T think your attitude in the situation you describe is selfish.....

and that I am sure that you would help people WHEN it wasn't bad for you.

[Edited at 2003-09-21 23:25]

lien
Netherlands
Local time: 18:44
English to French
+ ...
Say Sep 21, 2003

you do not have time to answer his questions as you are busy doing his translation.

When he comes again, you tell him you have spend more than one year to learn this program by yourself and he is free to do the same but you are not going to show him how and that he knows very well why (with a piercing look in the eyes)and that "will you stop bothering me with that, I made it clear that I have not the time and no intention to teach you.

Aisha Rishi
Pakistan
English to Urdu
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
great advice Sep 21, 2003

lien wrote:

you do not have time to answer his questions as you are busy doing his translation.

When he comes again, you tell him you have spend more than one year to learn this program by yourself and he is free to do the same but you are not going to show him how and that he knows very well why (with a piercing look in the eyes)and that "will you stop bothering me with that, I made it clear that I have not the time and no intention to teach you.

I like that, i might as well do that pretty soon, lol

giogi
My way of joking is to tell the truth. It's the funniest joke in the world." Sep 21, 2003

....Speak frankly, plainly...that's the best way to get rid of anybody. I do believe it.
Good luck!

sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:44
English to French
Curiosity Sep 22, 2003

What program are we talking about here?

Anyway, you have no obligation to teach anyone anything, and

sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:44
English to French
Curiosity Sep 22, 2003

What program are we talking about here? You are picking my curiosity.

Anyway, you have no obligation to teach anyone anything, and a simple:

"If you have questions about the software, Please contact the software producer, because I don't have time to give a course. It's their job to help you use the software you bought. I am nice, but I am not a free hotline"

On the other hand, remember that knowing how to use a commercially available software is not a trade secret. That being said, you are not supposed to do any hand holding to anyone if you don't feel like it.

Aisha Rishi
Pakistan
English to Urdu
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MS Office Sep 22, 2003

sylver wrote:

What program are we talking about here? You are picking my curiosity.

Anyway, you have no obligation to teach anyone anything, and a simple:

"If you have questions about the software, Please contact the software producer, because I don't have time to give a course. It's their job to help you use the software you bought. I am nice, but I am not a free hotline"

On the other hand, remember that knowing how to use a commercially available software is not a trade secret. That being said, you are not supposed to do any hand holding to anyone if you don't feel like it.

It is Microsoft Office. Making a combination of Ms Office 2002, and windows 2000 or xp and doing different tricks in it to make it work in my language. It is not that easy as it sounds. As I said I spent hours and hours on the net trying to figure it out for about a year. I do know MSOffice pretty well, especially Word, Excel and Publisher but its really complicated to make it work for this particular language, and especially with the pathetic microsoft keyboard layout, it doesnt make any sense at all, lol

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Keyboard layout Sep 22, 2003

Have you heard of a shareware program called "Keyboard Layout Manager"?
I have used it successfully to alter the layout of a Cyrillic (Russian) keyboard to one which suits my requirements better.
It can be downloaded from:
http://www.klm.freeservers.com/
or
http://solair.eunet.yu/~minya/Programs/klm/klm.html

United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
Thank you Jack Sep 22, 2003

I hadn't found that particular one, and it should be be very useful to me (since some of my fonts give nicely arranged keyboard layouts and a few give ones that are rather awkward). I knew there were things that did something like that, around....

Best wishes
Giuli

[Edited at 2003-09-22 09:02]

Aisha Rishi
Pakistan
English to Urdu
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes thats the one i use now Sep 22, 2003

Jack Doughty wrote:

Have you heard of a shareware program called "Keyboard Layout Manager"?
I have used it successfully to alter the layout of a Cyrillic (Russian) keyboard to one which suits my requirements better.
It can be downloaded from:
http://www.klm.freeservers.com/
or
http://solair.eunet.yu/~minya/Programs/klm/klm.html[/quote]

Its a great program, and with that I made the phonetic keyboard layout, so its much easier now.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to deal such kind of a person?

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs