Thread poster: Anne Seerup
ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:45
English to Chinese
+ ...
What are they afraid of? Oct 2, 2003

Goo translation agencies would make payments within 30 days, even upon delivery.

Bad translation agencies are not afraid if you refuse to work for them just because they pay you late or do not pay at all since they can find plenty of translators (no matter those are qualified or not). That is why translators must meet deadlines while they do not have to. However, they would be afraid if all translators refuse to work for them. In other words, they are afraid if you put them on
... See more
Goo translation agencies would make payments within 30 days, even upon delivery.

Bad translation agencies are not afraid if you refuse to work for them just because they pay you late or do not pay at all since they can find plenty of translators (no matter those are qualified or not). That is why translators must meet deadlines while they do not have to. However, they would be afraid if all translators refuse to work for them. In other words, they are afraid if you put them on black lists, which are shared by thousands of translators through Internet.
Collapse

xxx xxx
xxx xxx
Local time: 05:45
I gather it is no use waiting too long before sending reminders ;-) Oct 4, 2003

I must admit that until now, I have not had any really bad experience regarding payment.

When I get a translation order, I confirm it giving my payment terms (14 days after receipt of invoice). In Germany, this is the normal delay for any kind of invoice (sometimes only 10 days, sometimes 3 weeks). Usually I get paid within a few days after delivery.

Since I think that European standard is 30 days and often, I do not discuss the date when I expect to be paid before ge
... See more
I must admit that until now, I have not had any really bad experience regarding payment.

When I get a translation order, I confirm it giving my payment terms (14 days after receipt of invoice). In Germany, this is the normal delay for any kind of invoice (sometimes only 10 days, sometimes 3 weeks). Usually I get paid within a few days after delivery.

Since I think that European standard is 30 days and often, I do not discuss the date when I expect to be paid before getting the order, if the money is overdue, I wait another two weeks. Until recently I had always got my money by then.

It was only a few days ago when I realized one agency was already 2 weeks late and I was hesitating how to proceed next. Having read your thread I decided that it was no use waiting any longer. So I send them a gentle reminder by fax, stating that they must have overlooked that payment was already due and giving them another week to credit my account with the money. They seem to have paid the same day, as my bank registered the payment the day after I send the fax!

So thanks, Anne, for bringing up this issue again, even if it has been discussed many times before. I seem to need some reminder of what are my rights, now and then, too!

Diane
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Has late payment become the rule?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »