Thread poster: Yelena.

Yelena.  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:17
English to Russian
+ ...
Oct 1, 2003

Hi

I have just had a request for a translation of a birth certificate with my certificate of authenticity for an American client to be presented to INS. I have done such translations before and my certificates of authenticity were accepted by the Home Office, etc in the UK without any problem. Do you think this would work for the US or I'd better say no - not to disappoint the client?

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:17
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Ask the client Oct 1, 2003

Dear Yelena,
ask the client and let them know about the situation. However, in my opinion I do not think this would be a problem. If you only certify/notarize that your translation is correct to the best of your abilities and that you are a certified translator, it does not matter where do you get this certification/notarization: in England, America or New Zeland. But you should notify your client first, so they are comfortable with that as well.
Good luck,
Monika

Yelena. wrote:

Hi

I have just had a request for a translation of a birth certificate with my certificate of authenticity for an American client to be presented to INS. I have done such translations before and my certificates of authenticity were accepted by the Home Office, etc in the UK without any problem. Do you think this would work for the US or I'd better say no - not to disappoint the client?

Thanks!

Lucinda  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:17
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
It may vary from state to state Oct 1, 2003

I often translate and certify official documents for California much the same way as Monika is referring to (certifying to its authenticity and my credentials) and it is perfect, not a problem. However, I heard that several states have their own way of doing things, so it is best to check first. The client who lives in that state is perhaps the best person to check that out ahead of time. Better to be safe than sorry!

Good luck!
Lucinda

DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:17
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
I agree that I would ask the client to establish exactly what procedure they need, and Oct 2, 2003

give you instructions (not out of unkindness, but for practical reasons, as suggested).
UK certification (as you know) is a simple declaration by a translator, competent to know, that they have made / it is, a true & accurate translation of the source, sometimes with qualifications, etc attached - it isn't notarized by an official, notary, solicitor/lawyer, etc (although a UK certificate could easily be notarized or sworn in the UK if either of those were required - as legal registration of what the translator is declaring), and the translator must have the linguistic knowledge to do it, but isn't a "special certifying or sworn translator".
I have the impression that US certifying may involve some kind of legal notarizing or similar, and have always been on the look out for this possibility. If this is so, I would imagine that it could be satisfied in the UK (by you visiting a notary, solicitor or commissioner for oaths?), once it is made clear exactly what the end-user will require.
Apart from asking the client to establish what they need and give you instructions, I guess the US Consulate might be a good source of information.
Best wishes
Giuli
~Eng Russ Geo~

[Edited at 2003-10-02 14:34]

protolmach  Identity Verified
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
Might be a problem, I think there was some relevant info on their website .... Oct 3, 2003

Very often in some states (in the U.S.) DMVs require that driver's license should be translated and notarized only by an interpreter from their list.

Regards,
Elana Pick

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

UK vs US document certification

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs