Reply to Williamson
Thread poster: Carolin Dierksmeier
Carolin Dierksmeier
France
Local time: 22:40
English to German
+ ...
Feb 27, 2002

I wouldn\'t usually consider myself as having an I-fixation, but if you just don\'t get started in the job you want to do and you are on the brink of unemployment after years of hard work at university, you just can\'t avoid getting a little bit egocentric...

Collaboration among translators is a really nice thing, but I personally have the feeling that this is a profession where competition and resentment is particularly well-developped. I noticed that even when I was still at university : in the last year, teachers suddenly were much less ready to help us or to give us practical advice, knowing that we\'d soon work in the same business and might take away some of their work... Since I have left university I have never even contacted them (although I have thought about it - just for advice, of course).

I\'ve actually thought about setting up a little translation agency with friends (who have other language pairs), but we\'re all beginners, so it might be a very risky.

Anyway I\'m sure that even if you work alone, it certainly is very important to have a little network of colleagues you can ask for help and exchange ideas with(and maybe work with the same clients).

After all, nothing but your computer 24 hours a day and 7 days a week is a rather sad perspective. Maybe that\'s why we all spend so much time on proz.com ???

All the best from Paris,

Carolin

P.S.: Why is everybody so fond of interpreting ? I think translating is definetely much more interesting!!! Sorry...

Direct link Reply with quote

Karin Walker  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Interpreting vs. translation Feb 28, 2002

\"Why is everyone so fond of interpreting?\"

Because you can make more money, of course!

I love translating too, but interpreting is my big passion - it\'s so exciting (well, it can be...), you are in direct contact with your audience, you get to see more of the world (well, of Germany... in my case).

Carolin, I\'m also about to start out freelancing after 3 years in-house - e-mail me privately if you want to chat about it. See my profile for details.

Carolin Dierksmeier
France
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Falsche Taste Feb 28, 2002

Oups. This was a reply to the \"How independent are you ?\" topic... Must have pressed the wrong button. Well, never mind...

Egmont
Spain
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
HEPLING OTHERS Feb 28, 2002

You begin to help other people when you become an adult person.

Then, if you are young...

May I help you?

Carlos Moreno  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 15:40
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You will find this kind of people in all walks of life Feb 28, 2002

But you will also find nice, caring people, who will do their best to make friends with you, to help you do your work, to help you grow. I invite you to think of your colleagues with love, knowing that they are human beings on their own road to self-fulfillment, and pardon their childish jealousie. When they say \"this is mine\", they are speaking out their immatureness. Let´s share all the beautiful things we have in life, let\'s do our work with love, and let\'s help make this world a better place to live. Who will win? All.

Your friend,

Carlos H. Moreno

Erika Pavelka  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:40
French to English
Hi Carolin Feb 28, 2002

Quote:

Collaboration among translators is a really nice thing, but I personally have the feeling that this is a profession where competition and resentment is particularly well-developped.

This statement surprises me. You say you felt this already when you were nearing the end of your course, which is a real shame, but that\'s the only environment you experienced it in.

There are so many forums and mailing lists that exist for translators where colleagues can help each other out, and I\'ve never, ever come across any resentment between colleagues. Not all people get along, obviously, and there are sometimes flame wars on mailing lists, but I\'ve never seen any resentment.

Quote:

I\'ve actually thought about setting up a little translation agency with friends (who have other language pairs), but we\'re all beginners, so it might be a very risky.

If your translation course was like mine, then you didn\'t have any courses on being in business for yourself. It\'s probably best that you start freelancing so you can build up your business and learn the trade. Running an agency is very demanding and time-consuming, and it\'s best to have some experience in business before venturing into that area.

Quote:

P.S.: Why is everybody so fond of interpreting ? I think translating is definetely much more interesting!!! Sorry...

Because interpreting pays better, offers a different mental challenge and is short and sweet (it doesn\'t last for days).

Good luck,

Erika

xxxwilliamson
Dutch to English
+ ...
War without guns Feb 28, 2002

I have experienced about the same: all my classmates were enemies with daggers in their eyes to see would would obtain their degree with graduation paper and who without (meant that you needed an extra year to make the graduation paper). After school, I never met any of them.

In what aspect does the business-world differ from the last year of Carolin\'s T&I class? The business-world (covered with a lot of so-called \"ethics\") is actually \"war within guns\", a game of money and power.

If one competitor can kill another or take a competitor\'s market share, will he hesitate?

Antonella Andreella  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
The same for me Feb 28, 2002

Competition and teachers not so willing to help.

Bye

Antonella
[addsig]

Patricia Myers
United States
Local time: 13:40
English to Catalan
+ ...
I agree with Williamson Feb 28, 2002

I noticed the same thing when I was in college. Lots of competition and enemies. For some reason most students (not all because there are exceptions) were more concerned about other people\'s grades and work than theirs. If they had the chance to criticize you they did. I won\'t get into this topic because there\'s no point, but I\'ll tell you that I never expected to find this kind of behaviour in a university. People just have no life.

Eugenia Corbo  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Different experience! Feb 28, 2002

I thought I\'d mention that my college and post-college experience was quite different! I did not experience that sort of competition. On the contrary, I experienced collaboration with fellow students, which continued after graduation 8 years ago. We still share jobs, give advice to each other, give each other input about samples done for prospective clients/employers, look for work for each other, share resources. Some of our former professors would even share work with recent graduates who needed to gain experience, take a look at our samples, give advice, write recommendation letters, etc.

I don\'t think I could work as a translator if I felt everyone around me is a competitor and not someone I can learn from and someone I can help out.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-02-28 20:08 ]

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO)
German to English
+ ...
This has been my experience too! Feb 28, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-02-28 16:50, eugecorbo wrote:

I thought I\'d mention that my college and post-college experience was quite different! I did not experience that sort of competition. On the contrary, I experienced collaboration with fellow students, which continued after graduation 8 years ago. We still share jobs, give advice to each other, give each other input about samples done for prospective clients/employers, look for work for each other, share resources. Some of our former professors would even share work with recent graduates who needed to gain experience, take a look at our samples, give advice, write recommendation letters, etc.

I don\'t think I could work as a translator if I felt everyone around me is a competitor and not someone I can learn from and someone and I can help out.

I guess it all depends on the right choice of school!

xxxwilliamson
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yes, it does, but... Mar 1, 2002

It does depend on the right choice of school. But, how many T&I-schools are there in Austria: 1 or 2?

In a country, where there are 9 T&I schools and where every school gets a subsidy per student capita, no registrar or director is ever going to tell you that the school is not a member of C.I.U.T.I., that its professors are mainly PhDs in Germanic, Romanic and Slavonic philology, living in an ivory tower (with the exception of the professor who taught economics and finance). On the contrary, they will minimize the importance of the schools that are a C.I.U.T.I.-member. I recently phoned all of them and if you mention the fact that they are not a member of C.I.U.T.I. or fall rather low in the A.I.I.C.-rankings, they try to minimize these important facts.

You are 18 years old, you do not know anything about the world of T&I, let alone the professional world and you have make a decision with consequences for your entire life...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reply to Williamson

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs