Elke Fehling
Elke Fehling  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:38
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Oct 21, 2003

Hi everybody,

I did a small job for an American subsidiary of a translation agency I use to work for. They ased me to calculate my invoice in Euros and then convert it to USD.

The translation agency had asked my for a price per word, when I made my offer I didn't think of the fact that a money transfer from the US to Germany is much more expensive than within Europe.

What can I do now?
(How) can I make sure that the clients takes over the costs for
... See more
Hi everybody,

I did a small job for an American subsidiary of a translation agency I use to work for. They ased me to calculate my invoice in Euros and then convert it to USD.

The translation agency had asked my for a price per word, when I made my offer I didn't think of the fact that a money transfer from the US to Germany is much more expensive than within Europe.

What can I do now?
(How) can I make sure that the clients takes over the costs for the money transfer?
And: what exchange rate am I supposed to use?

The purchase order they sent me doesn't mention any of these points...

Thank you for your help!

Elke
Collapse

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
PayPal? Oct 21, 2003

Try to get paid via PayPal.

Regards,
Gerard

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
A few answers... Oct 21, 2003

Hi Elke,

Did they mention any specific instruction as to when conversion from euro to US dollars should take place?

What can I do now?
(How) can I make sure that the clients takes over the costs for the money transfer?

The only thing you could do is ask them, but since you forgot to agree on this, one could argue that the costs incurred at your end are your problem. As an alternative, you're showing a PayPal logo on your profile - why don't you ask them to pay via this route?

In the absence of any specific agreement, I would tend to use the middle market rate at the invoice date.

HTH, Ralf

Aisha Rishi
Aisha Rishi
Pakistan
Local time: 09:38
English to Urdu
+ ...
you can check the rates from x rates Oct 21, 2003

Elke Fehling wrote:

Hi everybody,

What can I do now?

The purchase order they sent me doesn't mention any of these points...

Thank you for your help!

Elke

http://www.x-rates.com It is a good site and they update the rates daily and they are usually close to the bank rates.

Other than that, you can ask to be paid through PayPal or ask for a cheque, if you can cash dollars, i.e.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Invoicing (Euros) in USD

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »