charging per page?
Thread poster: Aisha Rishi

Aisha Rishi
Pakistan
Local time: 17:05
English to Urdu
+ ...
Nov 2, 2003

I usually charge my clients per word or per 1000 words, but recently a new client is asking me to give him my rate per page.

I am not really comfortable with it, as once a client squeezed all the text on one page with small font whereas it was a 3 page text. Is there a set rule as to how many words per A4 page are normal and above that would be counted as next page, and the font size too?

Thanx

Direct link Reply with quote

Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:05
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
calculating by the page Nov 2, 2003

In Italy, we charge by the "cartella", which would be a page. However, the "cartella" is equivalent to 1500 keystrokes, spaces included. Therefore, if the customer manages to squeeze 4500 keystrokes onto an A4 -- font size about 8! -- that's 3 "cartelle".
So go ahead and establish what your "page" is worth in words (about 250) or keystrokes and explain this to your customer.

xxxIanW
German to English
+ ...
Send a sample page Nov 2, 2003

Hi there,

Here in Germany, we use "lines" of 55 characters, which often causes confusion among customers. Because of this, I have a sample page with the sentence "This is a test page" repeated over and over again until it makes 50 lines exactly. Perhaps it might be a good idea to do something like that in your case?

All the best

Ian

lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
german norm Nov 2, 2003

the norm is 60 keys strokes with spaces ! per line or 1800 characteres per page, with spaces ! This way it does not matter how big is the font, every 1800 characteres you have a page.

Adriana Pruneda
Mexico
Local time: 07:05
French to Spanish
+ ...
Charging per page Nov 2, 2003

In Mexico we price by page... you set the amount of words per page -ie. 220 for a Letter size page- and set the price accordingly. I did the same in Switzerland if a quote per page was requested.

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:05
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The same in Venezuela Nov 2, 2003

cbolton wrote:

In Italy, we charge by the "cartella", which would be a page. However, the "cartella" is equivalent to 1500 keystrokes, spaces included. Therefore, if the customer manages to squeeze 4500 keystrokes onto an A4 -- font size about 8! -- that's 3 "cartelle".

Once upon a day, there was a girl studying translation at the School of Modern Languages, in Venezuela. There was no PC (or almost) nor word count software. Most of the translations were done using an archaic instrument called "typing machine" There was a measure for the translation: the "cartilla", of 60 keystrokes, 25 lines... Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

Regards,

Clarisa

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 08:05
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
250 words Nov 2, 2003

in Chile.

In fact we count by words but we used to count by pages, the price is given per page but everybody knows that it's the price for 250 words.

Agnieszka Hayward
Poland
German to Polish
+ ...
A standard translation page Nov 2, 2003

here in Poland is usually calculated as 1800 keystrokes (including spaces, commas etc.) of the TARGET text. (MS Word provides you with the necessary statistics). It is 1600 characters for a particularily difficult technical text (to be agreed with client) or 1125 for sworn translation.
Hope that helps a bit.
Good luck
-Agnieszka-

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:05
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Try to adjust your price Nov 3, 2003

If the customer wants to pay by page, you have to find out how many words or keystrokes his page consists of and make up your price accordingly.

CELC Inc
Local time: 21:05
Japanese to English
+ ...
Japanese - English Nov 3, 2003

The industry standards in Japan seem a funny mix of per word/character and per page, but it comes down to what everyone else is saying, what is a "page?" In most cases, a "page" is not a physical entity but an arbitrary number of characters. However, because I often subcontract with printing firms and am therefore considered in their bidding for projects, I am often obliged to quote by the "A4 printed page" for an initial estimate (because they have no idea how many words there will be in the end as the client has yet to specify) and then give them another estimate based on word count later.

Thus, it depends on the reason for which your client is trying to have you quote by the page -- if it's just to short shrift you, choose an arbitrary number of words/characters per page and quote by that. If the reason is that your client just needs a broad sweeping picture and is willing to listen to reason later on, it could be worth your while to be cooperative and earn some brownie points.

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
german norm Nov 3, 2003

lien wrote:

the norm is 60 keys strokes with spaces!

Not in Germany.

Marc

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:35
English to Tamil
+ ...
There are pages and pages Nov 3, 2003

One text I had to translate contained 1000 words. I did not face any problems but the agency that gave me this job had an embarrassing time on account of this. His client had told him the text contained 30 pages and this gentleman had blissfully agreed for a deadline of 4 days. I could only imagine his face (he was in New Delhi and me in Chennai, some 2000 kms away), when I told him that the wordcount was 30,000. I lectured my client on the need to be careful and not agree to deadlines on the basis of such vague details. I agreed to a deadline of 10 days and he had a tough time convincing his client. He managed somehow.
The moral is clear: Never agree to quote on a vague basis of just pages as understood by laymen. Ask the client to email or fax the document and quote on the basis of the words.
Regards,
N.Raghavan

[Edited at 2003-11-03 10:18]

Zdenka Ivkovcic  Identity Verified
Croatia
Member (2004)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Same in Croatia. Nov 3, 2003

tygru wrote:

here in Poland is usually calculated as 1800 keystrokes (including spaces, commas etc.) of the TARGET text. (MS Word provides you with the necessary statistics). It is 1600 characters for a particularily difficult technical text (to be agreed with client) or 1125 for sworn translation.
Hope that helps a bit.
Good luck
-Agnieszka-

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 15:05
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Same in Baltic States Nov 4, 2003

:
here in Poland is usually calculated as 1800 keystrokes (including spaces, commas etc.)
-Agnieszka-

Uldis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

charging per page?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums