Freelance Editing, fair rate?
Thread poster: Rosanna Balistreri
Rosanna Balistreri
Rosanna Balistreri
Local time: 10:08
Nov 12, 2003

I have been contacted by someone to do some editing that involves the creation of abrtacts of journals on several topics (social sciences, politics, medicine, etc)
The abstracts are very short 150 to 200 words and the journals are in Italian. These abstracts are basically the English summaries of these Italian journals. they want to pay me $ 10 per abstracts. It sounds like to little money for each abstracts, does anyone know for sure?

Todd Field
Todd Field  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:08
Portuguese to English
Rates are a personal time investment/gain decision Nov 12, 2003

I believe you have to do two things when setting rates: charge fairly, but be flexible when it is to the mutual advantage of you and the agency/client you are working for. Simply put, if the compensation is equitable to your time investment, then you should go for it.

$10.00 per 150-200 words seems to be about an average per-word rate for editing in the U.S., assuming that the texts are in reasonable shape. The other route you can go is to charge a minimum fee for small jobs with a
... See more
I believe you have to do two things when setting rates: charge fairly, but be flexible when it is to the mutual advantage of you and the agency/client you are working for. Simply put, if the compensation is equitable to your time investment, then you should go for it.

$10.00 per 150-200 words seems to be about an average per-word rate for editing in the U.S., assuming that the texts are in reasonable shape. The other route you can go is to charge a minimum fee for small jobs with a very small word count, in which case $10.00 might be low.

In the end, it's really up to you as a freelancer. You have to decide for yourself depending upon the volume and compensation of the work in question relative to other potential jobs. Hope this helps and good luck.

Todd
Collapse

Nicolette Ri (X)
Nicolette Ri (X)
Local time: 19:08
French to Dutch
+ ...
This is what I receive Nov 12, 2003

25 € per abstract (not more than 250 words each).

Transflux (X)
Transflux (X)
French to English
+ ...
sounds like a tough job! Nov 12, 2003

Rosanna Balistreri wrote:

I have been contacted by someone to do some editing that involves the creation of abrtacts of journals on several topics (social sciences, politics, medicine, etc)
The abstracts are very short 150 to 200 words and the journals are in Italian. These abstracts are basically the English summaries of these Italian journals. they want to pay me $ 10 per abstracts. It sounds like to little money for each abstracts, does anyone know for sure?

Creating abstracts is no easy job! I would tread carefully. Do one, or at least look at one and then decide if the price is too low. After all you should charge by the hour and I'm sure that will work out much higher

Best of luck

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 11:08
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hard work Nov 12, 2003

I agree with Endymion - writing abstracts is hard work, especially if you're not familiar with the journal articles. Charging by the hour would be appropriate. To keep it simple, you could charge at least 20-25 Euro/USD per abstract - 10 is definitely not enough.

Pat Jenner (X)
Pat Jenner (X)
Local time: 18:08
German to English
+ ...
By time is the best way Nov 13, 2003

At least for the first few jobs, then you can perhaps work out an average. You don't say how long the original text is that you have to reduce to 150-200 words. I would have thought reducing in a ratio of two to one would be much easier than ten to one.

Rosanna Balistreri
Rosanna Balistreri
Local time: 10:08
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 13, 2003

Thank you guys for giving me your input on this matter. As far as your comment Pat, well the journals can be as short as 5 pages, but I have had even of 20 pages, and reducing those to a 200 word paragraph is a challenge. I am going to wait for the outcomes of my first delivery, and if the client is satisfied with my work, then I think I will feel more confident to set an hourly rate for next projects. Once again, thank you all very much !

[Edited at 2003-11-13 15:20]

[Ed
... See more
Thank you guys for giving me your input on this matter. As far as your comment Pat, well the journals can be as short as 5 pages, but I have had even of 20 pages, and reducing those to a 200 word paragraph is a challenge. I am going to wait for the outcomes of my first delivery, and if the client is satisfied with my work, then I think I will feel more confident to set an hourly rate for next projects. Once again, thank you all very much !

Collapse

Nicolette Ri (X)
Nicolette Ri (X)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Sorry Nov 14, 2003

I forgot to say that my texts are abstracts of newspaper articles - normal language, no scientific newspapers. They are to be resumed in max. 250 words (sometimes 150, sometimes 200 or 250, it depends of the length of the text). The first three or four are very difficult, but with some experience it's very interesting to do. And you can choose your own words.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Freelance Editing, fair rate?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »