Mobile menu

Advice for a new translator
Thread poster: Rocío Caparrós Sánchez
Rocío Caparrós Sánchez
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 6, 2003

Hello everybody:

My name is Rocio, and I am a young translator who is beginning to star a profesional career in the difficult world of the Translation. I studied Translation and Interpreting, but I find quite difficult to get some experience translating, because for all the jobs they ask for some experience.
That is my problem.

I don't know what to do, because I would like to get some experience but I don't know how.

My languages are Spanish, English, French and Italian.

Thank you for all your advices.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Anne Seerup
Ireland
Local time: 07:59
English to Danish
+ ...
Keep at it! Dec 7, 2003

We have all been there. It can be very frustating in the beginning, but you need to keep at it. Try to enhance your cv to show the experience you have the best possible way. Think it through you must have something you are good at or specialised in.
Keep experiementing with different CVs until you get a positive reaction from the customers. But be prepared that I may take quite a while before you get any response - I still get responses from customers I contacted over a year ago.
Also reading through the postings here at Proz is an excellent way of getting advice.
This is the way I got into the trade and it is going quite well.

Best of luck

Anne
Rocío Caparrós Sánchez wrote:

Hello everybody:

My name is Rocio, and I am a young translator who is beginning to star a profesional career in the difficult world of the Translation. I studied Translation and Interpreting, but I find quite difficult to get some experience translating, because for all the jobs they ask for some experience.
That is my problem.

I don't know what to do, because I would like to get some experience but I don't know how.

My languages are Spanish, English, French and Italian.

Thank you for all your advices.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 08:59
Member
English to Dutch
+ ...
Getting Established forum Dec 7, 2003

Hi Rocho,

You may want to have a better look at some of postings in the Getting Established forum.

Your question has been asked by many other ProZ members and quite a few have received interesting advice.

Go to e.g.:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/new&ViewTopic&post=16094#16094

Good luck and have a nice weekend!


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Lucinda  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:59
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hang in there, Rocio! Dec 7, 2003

The beginning is difficult for all of us. It takes a whilem, perhaps even a couple of years. I first translated only part-time because I was not sure that I could survive on it full-time.

The experience part is a bit more difficult; How can you accept jobs without experience and how can you obtain experience without having done jobs? - You may wish to accept a few smaller jobs pro-bono, perhaps for a non-profit organization or your church. Ask them up front if you can mention them in your CV as references and the work (without giving out confidential details)as part of your portfolio. They get your expertise for free and should be amenable to that.

Someone else also said to hone your CV and keep polishing at it until it is perfect. I would also suggest to perhaps narrow down the language combinations that you cover a bit. Perhaps no more than 2 is best. That way you really get good at translating into those languages - also narrow down your areas of expertise, if you have picked a large group. Then study and research as much as possible in those areas- mention your continued studying in those areas as well on your CV. This shows potential clients that you keep abreast on new developments in your area of expertise.

I hope that this helps a bit. Good luck and don't give up.

Lucinda


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:59
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
About your CV Dec 7, 2003

Hi Rocío!

First, of all, don't give up. Beginning is hard for everybody, but you will see that very soon work will come, and we will see you in pajamas at noon, with sore eyes from working all night long, forgetting the way from your home to the bakery, and with no more friends than those in ProZ.

I checked your CV, and I want to give you some suggestions:

Put first your language pairs and specialization. Then, professional experience, recent first. Then your academic data, courses, etc. Include data as daily output, equipment (PC, scanner, fax), software and CAT tools (Wordfast to begin, the free version) etc.
Personal data, address, etc., at the end.

Make a more attractive CV. Your name highlighted and in a box would be fine. Use the power of Word to make a high-visibility document, or make it in Acrobat. Also include your ProZ site and e-mail, both in your business cards and your CV.

Hope it helps

Regards

Edwal

http://www.proz.com/pro/4951
http://www.proz.com/home/4951

[Edited at 2003-12-07 16:41]

[Edited at 2003-12-07 16:48]

[Edited at 2003-12-08 16:19]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Birgir Davidsson
Iceland
Local time: 07:59
English to Icelandic
Edwal... Dec 8, 2003

The link at the bottom of your mail apparently goes to my proz page instead of yours!
The way I see it, the only difference between our pages is "/" at the end of the url:
http://www.proz.com/pro/4951 this goes to your page while
http://www.proz.com/pro/4951/ goes to mine!
This is weird...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 08:59
Member
English to Dutch
+ ...
This always happens with new members Dec 8, 2003

Birgir Davidsson wrote:

The link at the bottom of your mail apparently goes to my proz page instead of yours!
The way I see it, the only difference between our pages is "/" at the end of the url:
http://www.proz.com/pro/4951 this goes to your page while
http://www.proz.com/pro/4951/ goes to mine!
This is weird...


Don't worry, in a couple of days, we'll all be directed to Rocho's ProZ page.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:59
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Already corrected :) Dec 8, 2003

Evert DELOOF-SYS wrote:

Birgir Davidsson wrote:

The link at the bottom of your mail apparently goes to my proz page instead of yours!
The way I see it, the only difference between our pages is "/" at the end of the url:
http://www.proz.com/pro/4951 this goes to your page while
http://www.proz.com/pro/4951/ goes to mine!
This is weird...


Don't worry, in a couple of days, we'll all be directed to Rocho's ProZ page.


Ok, I already corrected it. No idea about why, but anyway... And who's Rocho?

Edwal


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Rocío Caparrós Sánchez
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much Dec 9, 2003

Thank you very much for all your support and I will do all my best to begin a career in this world.

Thanks for all your suggestions about my profile and my CV, I will take them into account.

I'll keep in touch.

Rocio (not "Rocho" )


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice for a new translator

Advanced search


Translation news





Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs