Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Client trying to change payment units; has this happened to anyone else before?
Thread poster: Aisha Rishi

Aisha Rishi
Pakistan
Local time: 21:02
English to Urdu
+ ...
Dec 28, 2003

I did a 71 page proofreading and editing job for a an egyptian company a month ago. On the PO it was stated 70 pages, 10 USD per Page, 10 hours deadline.

The pages turned out to be 71, so I invoiced them for 71 pages, that is 710 USD. They accepted 71 pages.

Now when its nearly time for the payment, I got an email from them saying, there has been a mistake and that it was supposed to be 10USD per hour and not pages, so they will only pay me 100USD.

I told them, it wasn't my mistake, and it was stated on the PO and I agreed with those terms. and I will be expecting full payment in 710 USD.

They didnt say anything after they sent the PO, didnt say while I was doing the job, never mentioned anything when I sent the invoice and now all of a sudden now that it is time for the payment, they are telling me that there was a mistake. I couldnt believe for a second how conveniently they are telling me that they wont be paying me 610USD and just 100USD instead.

I am staying firm on this point. But I just wanted to share it with you guys and wanted to know if this has ever happened to anyone else and how you tackled it.

Direct link Reply with quote

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:02
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Spirit versus letter Dec 28, 2003

I just wanted to share it with you guys and wanted to know if this has ever happened to anyone else and how you tackled it.

Something like this happened to me once -- in reverse. I miscalculated the figures and agreed to do a translation at a fraction of my normal rate. I told the agency that as I had made a mistake, I would stick to my under-estimate. But they told me not to be silly, and to charge the proper rate. That taught me a useful lesson - check your figures, but also to stick to the spirit of the agreement, not the letter.

[Edited at 2003-12-28 21:06]

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:02
Member (2005)
German to Spanish
You work 10 hours and wanna have 710 USD?...in Pakistan? Dec 28, 2003

azure_8 wrote:

I did a 71 page proofreading and editing job for a an egyptian company a month ago. On the PO it was stated 70 pages, 10 USD per Page, 10 hours deadline.

The pages turned out to be 71, so I invoiced them for 71 pages, that is 710 USD. They accepted 71 pages.

Now when its nearly time for the payment, I got an email from them saying, there has been a mistake and that it was supposed to be 10USD per hour and not pages, so they will only pay me 100USD.

I told them, it wasn't my mistake, and it was stated on the PO and I agreed with those terms. and I will be expecting full payment in 710 USD.

They didnt say anything after they sent the PO, didnt say while I was doing the job, never mentioned anything when I sent the invoice and now all of a sudden now that it is time for the payment, they are telling me that there was a mistake. I couldnt believe for a second how conveniently they are telling me that they wont be paying me 610USD and just 100USD instead.

I am staying firm on this point. But I just wanted to share it with you guys and wanted to know if this has ever happened to anyone else and how you tackled it.

Scott Li  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 00:02
Member (2005)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Spirit versus letter Dec 29, 2003

[quote]azure_8 wrote:

On the PO it was stated 70 pages, 10 USD per Page, 10 hours deadline.

quote]

I think it was a mistake made by the agency. Otherwise, 10 hours deadline would not be mentioned and the rate sounds too good from an Egytian market.

Perhaps your e-mail exchange prior to the confirmation can help to clarify the situation.

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:32
English to Tamil
+ ...
It is not similar Dec 29, 2003

It would have been similar if the agency had taken azure_8 into confidence and offered to pay 710 dollars and azure_8 declining the offer and opting for 100 dollars. It is not so. The situation is exactly the reverse.
Further, talking of spirit and all that is fine, provided the difference is not as high as 610 dollars out of 710 dollars. Had they offered 100 dollars at the outset, azure_8 would definitely have refused the work.
It is clear that the agency is trying to trick the translator out of payment legitimately due to her. Don't let them get away with it azure_8. Good luck.
Regards,
N.Raghavan

Lars Peter Linton wrote:

I just wanted to share it with you guys and wanted to know if this has ever happened to anyone else and how you tackled it.

Something like this happened to me once -- in reverse. I miscalculated the figures and agreed to do a translation at a fraction of my normal rate. I told the agency that as I had made a mistake, I would stick to my under-estimate. But they told me not to be silly, and to charge the proper rate. That taught me a useful lesson - check your figures, but also to stick to the spirit of the agreement, not the letter.

[Edited at 2003-12-28 21:06]

Aisha Rishi
Pakistan
English to Urdu
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Exactly Dec 29, 2003

I know they are trying to trick me now, because if it really was a genuine mistake, they would have said someting right after the PO was sent. I wouldn't have done the job in the first place if they would have offered me just 100USD for 71 pages. And it took me nearly 20 hours to do the job, because they sent the wrong file first and I was in the middle of the proofreading when they sent the right and told me to start the proofreading again. And out of good will I didnt say anything to them. I don't work hourly anyway, I always charge per page and that is my normal rate. As for "Toledo" what is wrong in charging 10USD per page in Pakistan?????????? I have been charging it for a long time IN Pakistan, and none of my clients seem to object.

PO is a contract, and if they were too sleepy and so un professional as to when they were making it and have woken up just when its time for the payment, they should suffer the consequences too. This is business my friends, you snooze you lose.

If it was a small difference, I might have considered it, but we are talking about 610USD here.

Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:02
Spanish to English
The agency should be made to honor their written agreement Dec 29, 2003

Yes, I hadn't answered this before, because fortunately enough I have not had a similar situation, but surely it is unacceptable that an agency gives a written agreement for a certain sum of money that then refuses to honour that contract. I am surprised at the comments from people. So what if she is in Pakistan. It is still a broken contract. Agencies take a cut off the price paid for our work, and I don't begrudge them that because they are supposed to be efficient and business-like. In Mexico it is normal that they take 40%, and they are welcome to it. But if they are going to be inefficient that is their problem, not the translator's.
And it seems to me that the translator in this case must have legal recourse, considering the agreement was in writing.

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Exactly Dec 29, 2003

On the PO it was stated (...) 10 hours deadline

And it took me nearly 20 hours to do the job

Which?

Marc

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
It's an error Dec 29, 2003

azure_8 wrote:

I\'m sure it was an error of the agency, for 2 important reasons: 1, if it was to be paid per page, they did not need to mention 10 hours deadline.
2 10 USD per page is really too much for a simple proofreading/editing. In Italy you get 10 USD as an average rate to TRANSLATE one page.
And as other colleagues said, it is definitely too much for Egypt.
hth
Giusi

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:32
English to Tamil
+ ...
Indeed Toledo? Dec 29, 2003

Toledo wrote:You work 10 hours and wanna have 710 USD?...in Pakistan?

I am really amazed Toledo. So according to you we from the sub-continent are not fit to earn that kind of money?
Here is a clear example of a firm PO in black and white. It is clear that the agency is quite dishonest. azure_8 will do well to put the agency in the blueboard. It is worse than Bluebird.
And as for the deadline, it is the common practice to give deadline even for the word rate. What is the big deal about it? And the high page rate is mainly for the tight deadline. Azure should indeed have charged for more pages including the pages done in the wrong file sent at first.
Go to it madam. Don't let them cheat you of your money. It is not the first time that this is happening to you. I remember your earlier posting when you did some very urgent work at dawn and afterwards they said that your bill was too much. I even wrote you an email giving you moral support and you thanked me.
Regards,
N.Raghavan

Paul Stevens  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:02
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
What about a compromise offer? Dec 29, 2003

azure_8 wrote:

I know they are trying to trick me now, because if it really was a genuine mistake, they would have said someting right after the PO was sent. I wouldn't have done the job in the first place if they would have offered me just 100USD for 71 pages. And it took me nearly 20 hours to do the job, because they sent the wrong file first and I was in the middle of the proofreading when they sent the right and told me to start the proofreading again. And out of good will I didnt say anything to them. I don't work hourly anyway, I always charge per page and that is my normal rate. As for "Toledo" what is wrong in charging 10USD per page in Pakistan?????????? I have been charging it for a long time IN Pakistan, and none of my clients seem to object.

PO is a contract, and if they were too sleepy and so un professional as to when they were making it and have woken up just when its time for the payment, they should suffer the consequences too. This is business my friends, you snooze you lose.

If it was a small difference, I might have considered it, but we are talking about 610USD here.

It does seem a rather high rate for Egypt to me, although I have no personal experience of having done work for an Egyptian agency. Perhaps people with personal experience wih Egypt could comment.

Also, quite clearly the mistake is the agency's and you could continue to insist on them paying you the rate on the PO. If you are prepared to have a long, drawn out process, probably involving collection agencies and/or lawyers, then by all means stick by your guns.

But, if the agency insists that it is not going to pay the full price agreed, it MAY be advisable to offer a compromise price of, say, US$400-500, PROVIDED THAT you only put it forward as an offer for a limited period of say 10-14 days, during which time you would have to receive full settlement.

Doing this would be entirely up to you, of course, and you may be 100% against the idea, but I offer it as a possible solution and a way of potentially getting a much quicker (albeit reduced) settlement of your invoice and avoiding unnecessary hassle and collection/legal costs.

Aisha Rishi
Pakistan
English to Urdu
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes I remember you. Dec 29, 2003

The problem I had with the Australian company was genuinely a confusion because I never got a written PO from them accepting my rate. I gave them one chance, said to them that I want a PO everytime they send me work and when my rate is accepted they send me acceptence email and only then I will do the translation. Since that day I have been getting regular work from them and have had no problem at all. And they actually pay me the very next day I send the invoice.

Germany
Member (2005)
German to Spanish
I am just asking, 10 USD for page is OK, but... Dec 29, 2003

...I understand in your question that you have 10 hours to do this Job, this means 71 USD per hour?? or do I missunderstood your posting?

________________-
As for "Toledo" what is wrong in charging 10USD per page in Pakistan?????????? I have been charging it for a long time IN Pakistan,...

Germany
Member (2005)
German to Spanish
Maybe my english is not gut enough Dec 29, 2003

I am sorry, sub- or super- continent, if a translator get so much money for a prooreading (I am speaking of 71 USD per hour)something is wrong in system, with all my respect for India or Pakistan, or it is a mistake from the agency.

I was only surprise, sorry if I offensed you

[quote]Narasimhan Raghavan wrote:

I am really amazed Toledo. So according to you we from the sub-continent are not fit to earn that kind of money?
_________
I am sure some people get this money and more

Aisha Rishi
Pakistan
English to Urdu
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ok, now we understand you. Dec 29, 2003

[quote]Toledo wrote:

I am sorry, sub- or super- continent, if a translator get so much money for a prooreading (I am speaking of 71 USD per hour)something is wrong in system, with all my respect for India or Pakistan, or it is a mistake from the agency.

I was only surprise, sorry if I offensed you

Narasimhan Raghavan wrote:

_________
I am sure some people get this money and more

The way you posted it before sounded sarcastic. The point is not how much is being charged per hour. Point is, what was written on the PO, and what I charge. When the company makes a PO, they should double check it before sending. They should contact the translator as soon as they reliaze their mistake, even when the translator send the invoice, they should check it, if it is right. But to mention is right before the payment time, makes them sound guilty, even if it was a genuine mistake.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Client trying to change payment units; has this happened to anyone else before?

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs