https://www.proz.com/forum/being_independent/18249-changes_requested_by_client_after_completed_translation.html

Changes requested by client after completed translation
Thread poster: Jürgen Brauch
Jürgen Brauch
Jürgen Brauch
Germany
Local time: 15:40
Member (2003)
English to German
Feb 9, 2004

After completing a rather large technical translation and implementing the proofreader's changes, I receive the final client's comments requesting some global changes to be implemented by me. The issue is period/no period after bullet lists. Whereas my approach is consistent with the corresponding style guide instructions, the client's new instructions are not. Must I implement these changes, which will cost me approx. 2 hours, without additional payment for this?

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:40
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Charge for them Feb 9, 2004

Jürgen Brauch wrote:
...my approach is consistent with the corresponding style guide instructions...

Since you had complied with the instructions you had received, any changes to the translation should not be done for free: charge for them (after informing the customer that you intend to do so, and at what rate).

Riccardo

Gayle Wallimann
Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Agree with Riccardo Feb 9, 2004

I agree that you should charge for the changes. However, make sure that the end client is aware that you followed style instructions and that these are additional changes, custom-style. I would charge per hour.
Good luck, I know that it is an uncomfortable situation to be in, but it is not your fault as a translator.
Gayle

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
Period/non period Feb 9, 2004

Jürgen Brauch wrote:

The issue is period/no period after bullet lists. Whereas my approach is consistent with the corresponding style guide instructions, the client's new instructions are not.

Could someone once for all tell me what are the rules about the periods in a bullet list ? I could not find some consistent.

By the way, you charge by the hour. I have to do some change, moving text, and the client himself proposed to charge me by the hour.

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:40
English to German
+ ...
Agree with Riccardo and Gayle Feb 9, 2004

Their reasoning is sufficient, somewhere there has to be a limit of obligingness and this one is well defined, as you explained.

Carlos Moreno
Carlos Moreno  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 08:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
My fault / Client's fault Feb 10, 2004

Dear friend,

If it was a mistake you made, it is your duty to correct it, no charge. If it is a change the client requests, be it for cosmetic reasons, an error in the order, or a last-minute update, then by all means the client should pay for it.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Styles differ, but here're some pointers Feb 10, 2004

lien wrote:
Could someone once for all tell me what are the rules about the periods in a bullet list ? I could not find some consistent.

Styles differ from language to language, from science to science, and most importantly, from client to client (or from client's third grade teacher's superstition to client's third grade teacher's family tradition).

Or: Why do you put a space before the question mark? You see, some nations do, and some don't.

But let me give you a good rule of thumb for Afrikaans, and then you can comment.

1. If the sentence directly preceding the bullet list does not end on an ESP (for example a comma or nothing), then you can't have complete sentences in the bullet list, and therefore each bullet point (except the last) must start with lowercase and end on either a comma or a semi-colon.

2. If the sentence directly preceding the bullet list ends on an end-of-sentence ESP (like a full-stop), then you must have complete sentences in the bullet list, and therefore each bullet point must start with a capital and end with an end-of-sentence ESP (preferably a full-stop).

3. If the sentence directly preceding the bullet list ends on a colon, then you can chose whether to have complete sentences in the bullet points or not. From here onwards styles differ so much that I won't comment.

For example, if you choose not to have complete sentences in the bullet list, then some people consider the entire bullet list one long sentence and apply rules accordingly, whereas others don't.

ESP = CAT jargon for "end-of-segment-punctuation". In Afrikaans typical ESPs are colons, semi-colons, full-stops, exclamation marks and question marks (of which colons and semi-colons are not end-of-sentence ESPs).

[Edited at 2004-02-10 07:08]

Jürgen Brauch
Jürgen Brauch
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for all your answers Feb 10, 2004

Thank you all for your answers, which made the point very clear for me!
Jürgen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Changes requested by client after completed translation

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »