Thread poster: Anne Seerup
Anne Seerup
Anne Seerup
Ireland
Local time: 23:59
English to Danish
+ ...
Feb 12, 2004

I have just registered for VAT as I am likely to exceed the 25 K this year. While I think the rules are pretty clear with regard to in-country transactions, I am confused as to whether and what to charge customers in other EU-countries and outside the EU.
The information is very scarce.

Having just spoken to a tax advisor who would charge me an extortionate rate for establishing my VAT liability and confirming what I might already know, I thought I would ask here first as the
... See more
I have just registered for VAT as I am likely to exceed the 25 K this year. While I think the rules are pretty clear with regard to in-country transactions, I am confused as to whether and what to charge customers in other EU-countries and outside the EU.

Having just spoken to a tax advisor who would charge me an extortionate rate for establishing my VAT liability and confirming what I might already know, I thought I would ask here first as there may be other translators living in Ireland who are familiar with these regulations.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:59
English to German
+ ...
Ample information from the Irish Revenue Feb 12, 2004

Hi Anne,

Have you had a look at the Irish Revenue website? Go to Information ... by Tax & Duty - Taxes & Duties - Value Added Tax. At the bottom of the page, you'll find a section entitled Reference Material, where you will find a link to the Guide to Value Added Tax. Chapter 4 (and particularly sections 4.4, 4.8 and 4.9) should be most relevant for you.

A comprehensive VAT Guide is available as a PDF.

HTH, Ralf

Anne Seerup
Anne Seerup
Ireland
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 12, 2004

Thank you Ralf - I was actually searching for that comprehensive guide but could not find it this morning.
The "simple" guide I have only explains VAT when services are supplied within Ireland.

So being a service provider I believe, I do not have to charge VAT to customers in other EU countries, provided these are businesses (I assume VAT-registered) AND the place of supply is in the other EU-State (chapter 4).

Anne

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Anne,

Have you had a look at the Irish Revenue website? Go to Information ... by Tax & Duty - Taxes & Duties - Value Added Tax. At the bottom of the page, you'll find a section entitled Reference Material, where you will find a link to the Guide to Value Added Tax. Chapter 4 (and particularly sections 4.4, 4.8 and 4.9) should be most relevant for you.

A comprehensive VAT Guide is available as a PDF.

HTH, Ralf

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:59
English to German
+ ...
German VAT rules Feb 14, 2004

Hi Anne,
So being a service provider I believe, I do not have to charge VAT to customers in other EU countries, provided these are businesses (I assume VAT-registered) AND the place of supply is in the other EU-State (chapter 4).

Obviously, I don't know the Irish VAT rules, but that's the procedure under German VAT laws. Although strictly speaking, you can run a business without being VAT-registered, the VAT ID is generally required as proof of the recipient's status as a business.

Have you tried your local IRS office for advice? They should know, and they don't charge for answering questions... That said, as soon as you reach a certain level of business, a tax advisor is often worth the investment.

Best regards, Ralf

[Edited at 2004-02-14 07:29]

Anne Seerup
Anne Seerup
Ireland
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 14, 2004

I am definitely considering hiring an account, and I am currently in the process of finding a good and affordable one - so until then I will have to deal with the VAT-issues myself and the somewhat impossible task of sqeezing information out of the staff at the local tax office.

Anyway I got a couple of helpful replies privately and along with the comprehensive pdf guide - I think I am well informed enough to go ahead.

Thank you all for your replies

Anne
Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Anne,

Obviously, I don't know the Irish VAT rules, but that's the procedure under German VAT laws. Although strictly speaking, you can run a business without being VAT-registered, the VAT ID is generally required as proof of the recipient's status as a business.

Have you tried your local IRS office for advice? They should know, and they don't charge for answering questions... That said, as soon as you reach a certain level of business, a tax advisor is often worth the investment.

Best regards, Ralf

[Edited at 2004-02-14 07:29]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Irish VAT rules

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »