Thread poster: Inna Saveleva
Inna Saveleva
Inna Saveleva  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 04:46
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 19, 2004

I was offered a telejob but the payment terms are net 60 days while the norm that I most often saw on the web is net 30. Is it warning bells? On the one hand, I checked them to find out that they are not blacklisted in any PP mailing lists and have a good standing with another contractor from the Netherlands (though it was a one-time order only and a small one at that, so I cannot judge here). On the other, I will put at stake 4 weeks of labour and up to USD 5,000 if a take it. Than you.

Eva Blanar
Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 03:46
English to Hungarian
+ ...
What about an advance? Feb 19, 2004

Personally, I don't think that a 60 days' term is "normal", but I am afraid it is not exceptional.

Therefore, even though I never asked for an advance, I think that the size of the job and the long payment period might well entitle you to one: finally, you won't be able to make (much) money elsewhere, while working for them.

Perhaps our colleagues who have ample experience in this field could give advice about the reasonable amount/ level for such an advance...?

Romuald Pawlikowski
Romuald Pawlikowski  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
It is not so unusual (esp. French clients) Feb 19, 2004

Eva Blanar wrote:

Personally, I don't think that a 60 days' term is "normal", but I am afraid it is not exceptional.

I have two regular clients who have such a long term of payment. As these are "regulars", I do not really complain. The worst is the first time. Later if there is a steady flow of work from them you stop worrying.

An advance is a good idea taking into account the amount involved, however, be careful when formulating your request so that you don't put yourself in a position that you would have to reject the job if they are not willing to pay it.

Just my 2 cents.

Best,

Romuald

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
"Do they pay" is important. Feb 19, 2004

Inna Savelieva wrote:
I was offered a telejob but the payment terms are net 60 days while the norm that I most often saw on the web is net 30. Is it warning bells?

Not "how long do they take to pay", but "do they pay" is important. If you are prepared to wait that long for your payment, and if you are sure that they'll pay, then no warning bells need ringing.

Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
60 days - I wish! Feb 19, 2004

Sounds like GREAT terms! Here in Italy a lot of agencies pay at 90 days, which then get spun out into 100, 110, a couple of phone calls to beg for payment, 120...

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:46
Flemish to English
+ ...
Depends on the market Feb 19, 2004

Anglosaxon market (there are of course exceptions on that market), usually after 30-45 days, Germany : 30-45, Benelux : end of month +45-60.
Italy (thé record holder) 136 days.
This nothwithstanding the EU-regulation on late payments. If a customer pays after 30 days you are entitled to the interest-rate of the European Central Bank + your own percentage. But I am afraid that you will need a credit-collection agency to enforce that rule

Marie Christine Cramay
Marie Christine Cramay
Italy
Member (2004)
Italian to French
+ ...
It's perfectly true and it's a shame! Feb 19, 2004

cbolton wrote:

Sounds like GREAT terms! Here in Italy a lot of agencies pay at 90 days, which then get spun out into 100, 110, a couple of phone calls to beg for payment, 120...

Gayle Wallimann
Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
60 days end of month normal for France Feb 19, 2004

I agree with everyone above, it depends on your client's origin. My regular French clients pay 60 days end of month, and my oldest client pays 90-120 days (once it took 6 months) but he's an exception and we trust each other. I would ask for an advance in your case, if it's possible, since you don't know the client yet. He may be willing if you explain that you are not used to such payment terms. For example, 25% at 15 days, and the balance later. Good luck.

Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Czech to German
+ ...
Maybe... Feb 19, 2004

there is no general rule for one country to have late payers and another one with quick ones though there seems to be a certain tendency in Italy:(
I once had to wait for about two months for a small payment from the U.S. (and when it finally arrived it was a cheque and I had to pay banking-fees amounting to almost half of the sum...) but the Czech agency I use to work with pays me within one week!
As you do not know this client I also would recommend you to ask for a certain amount
... See more
there is no general rule for one country to have late payers and another one with quick ones though there seems to be a certain tendency in Italy:(
I once had to wait for about two months for a small payment from the U.S. (and when it finally arrived it was a cheque and I had to pay banking-fees amounting to almost half of the sum...) but the Czech agency I use to work with pays me within one week!
As you do not know this client I also would recommend you to ask for a certain amount to be paid in advance, moreover as you cannot be expected to live of nothing for such a long while!

Good luck!

Charlotte
Collapse

mishima (X)
mishima (X)
Local time: 10:46
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
What did you hope to achieve with your statement? Feb 19, 2004

Adela Vangils wrote:
Italy is different. Berlusconi said the other day that tax-evasion is morally excepted in Italy.

This thread is related to a completely different matter. Just wanted to be funny, or...

Mishima

As suggested by the Moderator, I am editing my comment above. Now I do hope Adela will edit his.

Mishima

[Edited at 2004-02-20 00:45]

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Suggestion: some fine print for the invoice in EU countries Feb 19, 2004

A member of my SC proposed this:

"This invoice shall be considered accepted if no reservations are made within fifteen(15) days. In accordance with 2000/35/EC dated 8th of August 2000, this invoice must be settled within (X days, as per national law), or shall accrue interest at the YY Interbank Offering Rate (increased by ZZ points, as applicable), along with any debt recovery costs".

And below, if other terms were agreed on, "an exception has been made for this invoic
... See more
A member of my SC proposed this:

"This invoice shall be considered accepted if no reservations are made within fifteen(15) days. In accordance with 2000/35/EC dated 8th of August 2000, this invoice must be settled within (X days, as per national law), or shall accrue interest at the YY Interbank Offering Rate (increased by ZZ points, as applicable), along with any debt recovery costs".

And below, if other terms were agreed on, "an exception has been made for this invoice, which is payable ...."

So OK, it sounds convoluted, but it's a way of psychologically preparing late payers for better times ahead...

[Edited at 2004-02-19 12:03]
Collapse

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:46
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Please, stay on topic Feb 19, 2004

Adela Vangils wrote:
Italy is different. Berlusconi said the other day that tax-evasion is morally excepted in Italy.

Adela,

mishima is right, your message is straying off the topic of this discussion, and also breaking the forum rules because in ProZ.com political discussions are not allowed.

For these two reasons I ask you (and all other participants), to not comment further and stay on the current topic.

You could also edit/delete your own posting and mishima may edit/delete the related comment. Thank you.

Gianfranco

[Edited at 2004-02-19 12:11]

Haluk Levent Aka (X)
Haluk Levent Aka (X)
Local time: 04:46
Japanese to Turkish
+ ...
We're lucky in this part of the World Feb 19, 2004

Well I guess it is (perhaps the only) a benefit of high inflation rate We are usually paid within 2 weeks in Turkey. If I were in your shoes I'd definately ask for and insist on 50% upfront and 50% on project completion.

cbolton wrote:

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
It is better... Feb 20, 2004

It is better to be unemployed and unpaid than to be employed and still unpaid. Ask for some money up front. If they do not agree then consider yourself lucky, and move on and do some work for people that you know will pay you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Payment Terms - how long is normal?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »