Mobile menu

Paypal alternatives: what's Moneybookers.com like?
Thread poster: Adam Thomson

Adam Thomson  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:50
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Feb 21, 2004

Like many budding independents I am looking for a good global payments system. My heart has sunk reading some of the forum's stories about Paypal. Searching for alternatives I've looked at the Moneybookers.com site - and maybe there are others. Does anybody have personal experience of Moneybookers.com (or other alternatives to Paypal)?

Direct link Reply with quote

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Western Union Money Transfer Feb 21, 2004

I am still waiting for an opportunity to use Moneybookers.com, but I had a good experience with a Western Union payment to Asia, although you have to go to their office to pay or collect.
(But there was a fee of 10 % )

[Edited at 2004-02-21 15:36]

xxxchance
French to Chinese
+ ...
Have a look at this topic : Feb 21, 2004

http://www.proz.com/topic/10380?start=0

Have a nice weekend

Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your reference, which was helpful. But what do people think now? Feb 21, 2004

Chance's reference was of course helpful - and I notice founder Henry also commented. The question is, what do people think now? What's been recent experience? Has ProZ.com decided to adopt it (maybe I haven't looked carefully enough)?

xxxchance
French to Chinese
+ ...
Yes, ProZ.com adopt Moneybookers on the profile page Feb 21, 2004

See : http://www.proz.com/topic/13892?start=0

I have paid through moneybookers.com twice. It worked well: easy, fast and little fees. But I have no experience in getting any payment through it.

Antonella Andreella  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:50
German to Italian
+ ...
Used only once but... Feb 21, 2004

Hi all,

I'm having some problems getting payment, i.e. I added all bank details they asked me to, they confirmed the bank account was added successfully, and they day after they informed me they could not make any bank transfer to my bank account in Italy because one code was lacking... so I asked them to send a cheque.

However their Customer Service was very prompt and helpful, let's see

Antonella

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
No problems so far Feb 21, 2004

I have been paid via Moneybookers several times and the transfer to my bank account was always without problems.

Aquila Aurata
Hungarian to English
+ ...
Works for me Feb 21, 2004

Been using Moneybookers for sending and receiving payments for a year now - very satisfied with them. Unlike Paypal, Moneybookers have excellent customer service, nearly world-wide coverage and low fees.

Deborah Shannon  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
Transaction limits can be a problem Feb 22, 2004

Adam Thomson wrote:

Does anybody have personal experience of Moneybookers.com (or other alternatives to Paypal)?

Watch out for the transaction limits, that's my advice. (At the moment I can't withdraw all the credit on my account, even though they accepted the payment, because of transaction limits).

I'm now waiting to see whether the bank verification process will work, to increase the transaction limit. Like Péter I'm not keen on faxing my passport to them.

As with PayPal, it is unwise to let any amount of credit build up on a Moneybookers account, which is why I wish I'd been more careful about the limits now. Be aware that even though Moneybookers is regulated by the Financial Services Authority, it is not as safe as a bank. You leave money with them at your own risk i.e. there would be no guarantee of compensation if the company ever got into financial difficulties.

Deborah

Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
As the one who started this thread - maybe I'll go for "normal" bank transfers Feb 22, 2004

Deborah Shannon wrote:

Watch out for the transaction limits, that's my advice. (At the moment I can't withdraw all the credit on my account, even though they accepted the payment, because of transaction limits).

Deborah

Thanks to Deborah and the others for their experiences. This is gold dust.

I do get the impression that it's a good question whether the hassle of these Paypal-type services is worth it. In any case, I'm very grateful for all your input. Many thanks.

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Usefulness of the service Feb 22, 2004

Adam Thomson wrote:

I do get the impression that it's a good question whether the hassle of these Paypal-type services is worth it.

For me, Moneybookers is the only alternative to wire transfers and checks, because PayPal does not support users from Central and Eastern Europe. It is very useful in case of small payments, where the banking charges would be too high for both the sender and me.

Your situation is different, because you live in EU, so it depends where your clients are from. If they are from EU as well, the banking charges should be quite low, so there's no need to use an alternative payment service.

Also, not every client or agency is willing to pay via Moneybookers or PayPal.

So it's really an individual choice. You can open a Moneybookers account with the initial low transaction limit (i.e. without verifying your identity) and wait whether you will have some use for it at all.

arterm  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:50
Member (2002)
English to Russian
works exellent, id verification is very quick Feb 23, 2004

the system works perfect for me
Arterm

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:50
English to Russian
+ ...
moneybookers - easy and reliable service Feb 23, 2004

I think you should use moneybookers.
I have been using it for a year or so.

The problem of Limits? I see no problem at all. When you open an account with them you are entitled for 1000 eur turnover for every three motnhs. When I sent a scan of my driver license (Estonian one) my account was verified the next day and I am entitled now for 15000 eur for every 3 months.

As far as Paypal is concerned - I give an example and you decide yourself: 2 weeks ago 144 usd were transfered to me via paypal. 5.50 was deducted by paypal as arriving fee and only 102 arrived the bank account.

After that a friend of mine put this funds into moneybookers system and sent them to me. 0.50 eur as remittance fee was charged. In addition I paid 1.80 eur to make remittance from moneybookers to my bank account (I have ATM card with it - cashing out for free).

I am of the opinion that paypal is great system for those who is proud that they are overcharged. I vote for moneybookers and e-gold (www.e-gold.com)

Antonella Andreella  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
Update Feb 27, 2004

Hi all,

I just want to update my previous comment: I've just received my cheque, Moneybookers seems to be super speedy )))

Antonella

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Paypal alternatives: what's Moneybookers.com like?

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs