Thread poster: Anna Mattsson

Anna Mattsson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 21:46
Member (2003)
French to Swedish
+ ...
Mar 11, 2004

I just wanted to say that this agency finally paid me after polite requests and after I'd had my translation checked by two independant translators. The agency admitted their mistake, so victory to me!! Again, thank you for all your support.

[Edited at 2004-07-23 19:50]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Inform others Mar 11, 2004

Give them what they deserve:

1. Inform other translators about them on various listings.

2. Send the link(s) to the agency.

3. Tell them that you will remove your comment only when they settle your account.

You could also consider a "no cure no pay" debt collection agency.

After what I have read, Italian agencies usually pay after 60 or 90 days, so please avoid them in the future...:)

Good luck with getting back (your money).

[Edited at 2004-03-11 23:11]

Todd Field  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:46
Member (2003)
Portuguese to English
Quantify the situation Mar 11, 2004

Here is what I suggest:

1) Ask them for specifics about what was allegedly wrong with the translation.

2) Solicit a neutral third party opinion (i.e. have someone else proofread it and comment).

3) If substantial proof arises that your translation was acceptable, suggest that the agency pay immediately. Tell them that you will post negative feedback in public Internet forums such as the Proz.com Blue Board if they do not.

All of this, of course, if (and only if) you have an agreed purchase order with payment terms that have been clearly violated.

Collecting delinquent money is part of the profession. The more you take emotion out of it and make it a logical, professional, systematic process, the better results you will usually get.

Good luck!

Todd

Nenija Hasanic
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Bosnian
+ ...
To make it short... Mar 11, 2004

I'd like to support Todd's and Monica's advice. Be professional in any given situation! That is the only way to stay in this industry.

Good luck!

Nenija Hasanic

Anna Mattsson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2003)
French to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Mar 11, 2004

Thank you all so much for all your good advice and support. I will write the client an email tomorrow... and I will keep you posted on how it all turns out.

[Edited at 2004-03-12 07:34]

Suzanne Blangsted  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:46
Danish to English
+ ...
non-payment Mar 12, 2004

Please use the Blue Board and post your complaint so all translators can see what you went through, also if you by chance should receive payment. There are unfortunately a lot of agencies that will request a job and not pay, so we should know who they are. Please use the Blue Board. I did once for an agency and then got my payment within 30 days. The agency receives an automatic copy of what you write.

Garboktrans
Spain
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
Other lists Mar 12, 2004

Here are other places where you can post the name of this agency (and tell them you are going to do so) so that everyone knows of them:

TCR list - tcr@yahoogroups.com
Ted Wozniak's payment practices forum - ppmoderator@trwenterprises.com

Good luck!

bergazy  Identity Verified
Croatia
Croatian to Italian
+ ...
Do you have an Agreement &Purchase Order? Mar 12, 2004

If the answer is "Yes" then you should act according to its Terms&Conditions.
Otherwise, you are in trouble.

Italian market is not a paradise, sometimes...

xxxKirstyMacC
Local time: 20:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
Quantum meruit/quantum valebant - the doctrine of substantial performance Mar 12, 2004

Meaning, in the UK at least - I don't know about Italy, though they're Latin expressions - that, if you have done the bulk of the job right, then you are entitled to get paid either for 1. what was deserved (quantum meruit) or 2. what the job was worth (quantum valebant).

If you translated 100 pages in a rush, and 1 page is wrong, then the clients have to cough up 99% of the bill. However, one or two key-words wrong is another matter. Some agencies just won't negotiate, so have to be 'blue-boarded' and boycotted.

Otherwise, hit 'em with Tayfun's typhoon.

Tayfun Torunoglu wrote:

A work is done and it must be paid,
Just invoice and get your money.

[Edited at 2004-03-11 22:38]

[Edited at 2004-03-12 17:37]

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:46
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Don't send the links Mar 13, 2004

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad wrote:
1. Inform other translators about them on various listings.
2. Send the link(s) to the agency.

Ivan, what you suggest is:
1. Illegal (it's called blackmail)
2. Contrary to the regulations of most of the translation blacklist, which specifically require that information posted on the list be not sent to people not members of the list.

EKM
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Keep cool and slam them hard if necessary Mar 13, 2004

I would go with Todd and Monica's advice. If that fails, slam them with all the power you have (Blue Board, other forums, never failing to mention their disgraceful behaviour when the subject comes up).

Apart from their failure to pay you, any agency as slow as this to respond to their translators' e-mailed inquiries should recieve a bad Blue Board remark and be entered into black lists ASAP.

nuclear
Local time: 22:46
English to Russian
+ ...
Fully agree with Mårten Dalhed Mar 13, 2004

[quote]Mårten Dalhed wrote:

- though I had been in a position of an agency (job placement) for a number of years, my free-lance soul revolts against such conduct

And I know for fact that such methods work with "bad customers".

Also, concerning them being illegal - if you do things right, there is no way of claiming that sharing you motivated opinions with colleagues and earnestly notifying the agency about that is against the law.

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Job accepted, terms accepted Mar 13, 2004

Hi Ivan,

After what I have read, Italian agencies usually pay after 60 or 90 days, so please avoid them in the future...:)

The point here is non-payment and not after how many weeks Italian agencies normally pay.

Giuliana

Rodger GIANNICO
France
French to English
Non payment in France Mar 14, 2004

Don't know if this is relevant to the issue, but for future reference: the translator in France is solely bound by a “relative obligation”, i.e. due diligence, as opposed to an “absolute obligation”, i.e. a strict liability to achieve a given result (cf. previous debates in these forums on this question). The French courts generally rule in favor of the translator on questions of payment: the work was done, payment is due. If the quality of the translation is an issue, it then falls upon the party claiming such poor quality to file suit against the translator on that particular issue. I was once called upon to give an expert opinion on a translation that was, well, pretty lousy. The court nevertheless ordered the agency to pay the translator.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agency finally paid me!!

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs