https://www.proz.com/forum/being_independent/19527-certified_translations_for_mexico.html

Certified translations for Mexico
Thread poster: Mónica Guzmán
Mónica Guzmán
Mónica Guzmán  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 13:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 19, 2004

Hello,

My question is quite related to the one about certified translations in Australia, but in this case it is in Mexico.
I face the possibility of working for lawyers and notary publics in Mexico.
Are there any requirements the translation jobs they may offer to me may have to comply with?
In Argentina, translations used for official purposes are certified, in Buenos Aires city, at the Colegio de Traductores, and you have to be a certified translator to be able
... See more
Hello,

My question is quite related to the one about certified translations in Australia, but in this case it is in Mexico.
I face the possibility of working for lawyers and notary publics in Mexico.
Are there any requirements the translation jobs they may offer to me may have to comply with?
In Argentina, translations used for official purposes are certified, in Buenos Aires city, at the Colegio de Traductores, and you have to be a certified translator to be able to do that.
What is the case in Mexico?

Thank you to anyone who may help me.
Collapse

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
Perito traductor mexicano Mar 19, 2004

If your clients need translations certified for Mexico, they will ask a "perito traductor mexicano" to certify them.

The translator who does the certification will surely be Mexican. On the list for requirements to earn "perito traductor" status for Mexico, no. 1 is "tener nacionalidad mexicana"; to be a Mexican citizen.

So to answer your question,

there no legal requirements that you can fill in this respect unless you are a Mexican citizen and come to Mexico to fulfill the requirements for perito traductor status. I imagine that this is unlikely!

Most probably the Mexican clients will be asking you to do other translations that do not need to be certified. Of course if they happen to have end clients who need translations certified in Argentina, then you are the ideal provider.

[Edited at 2004-03-19 17:32]

Mónica Guzmán
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Which translations need to be certified? Mar 19, 2004

Thank you GoodWords for your reply.

That is very similar to what happens in Argentina with "perito traductores", and this is in the case of documents for trials.

What kind of translations need to be certified in Mexico? All legal documents?

Kind regards,

Mónica

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Depends on the <i>trámite</i> Mar 19, 2004

Mónica Guzmán wrote:
What kind of translations need to be certified in Mexico? All legal documents?
Mónica

Translations made for certain particular legal purposes or applications (such as applications to educational institutions) need to be certified. The client will know, because he or she is involved in the process and has been instructed to submit a certified translation. It would not be your responsibility as translator to decide whether or not the translation has to bear the sello de perito traductor. Here and here you can see some examples of processes that require a certified translation.

[Edited at 2004-03-19 17:37]

Mónica Guzmán
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Mar 19, 2004

Goodwords, thank you very much for your help. Regards,
Mónica

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Easy Mar 20, 2004

You certify it according to your own country. As a U.S. Federal Court Certified Intepreter (part of the job is also translating but the title is "interpreter"), I merely do a notarized statement in the USA attesting to same. Then it is sent to Mexico and accepted.

I have translated numerous legal documents to be forwarded to Mexican courts and they have been accepted. That I know, because I have received follow-up on the specific cases, including Mexican citizen criminals who have b
... See more
You certify it according to your own country. As a U.S. Federal Court Certified Intepreter (part of the job is also translating but the title is "interpreter"), I merely do a notarized statement in the USA attesting to same. Then it is sent to Mexico and accepted.

I have translated numerous legal documents to be forwarded to Mexican courts and they have been accepted. That I know, because I have received follow-up on the specific cases, including Mexican citizen criminals who have been convicted or extradited on the basis of documents I have translated, and that is not easy to accomplish.

Do it according to the rules in your own country. As far as I know there is no formal rule for a "perito" in Mexico. It may be anyone who is proposed to the court and accepted by the judge, competent or not.
Collapse

Mónica Guzmán
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Summing up. Mar 23, 2004

I think I understand better now what things are like in Mexico. I think, Henry, that the fact that your translations are valid there is because you are a certified translator in USA, where the documents come from, isn't that the case?

If documents were issued in Argentina, I could, as GoodWords says, be the certified translator for them.

So there is a limited scope of things I can do as far as legal documents are concerned in Mexico (nothing to be presented in trials, n
... See more
I think I understand better now what things are like in Mexico. I think, Henry, that the fact that your translations are valid there is because you are a certified translator in USA, where the documents come from, isn't that the case?

If documents were issued in Argentina, I could, as GoodWords says, be the certified translator for them.

So there is a limited scope of things I can do as far as legal documents are concerned in Mexico (nothing to be presented in trials, nothing to be presented at Universities or other educational institutions).

Thank you very much for your help.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Certified translations for Mexico

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »