Thread poster: Sonja Tomaskovic
Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:41
English to German
+ ...
Apr 5, 2004

Hello,

I accidently stumbled upon this site www.verbingo.com .

From the information on their website, this "translation resource exchange" was created by an agency.

Am I completely mistaken or are they actually taking money from translators to complete projects for them?

As far as I could see, they charge 0,50 US$ (sold in packages of 20 bids = 10 US$) for each bid. For the job that has been posted in my language pair, the creator of Verbingo IS the outsourcerer himself.

Has anyone ever "won" a bid on Verbingo? Any comments?

Regards,

Sonja

[Edited at 2004-04-05 21:39]

Direct link Reply with quote

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:11
English to Tamil
+ ...
Judge for yourself Apr 6, 2004

Let me reproduce one job post from that site:
"Translation English-Tamil & viceversa
Date posted: 04/04/2004
Language pairs: English-Tamil
Description: I am a native Tamil speaker. I am equally good at English. I am willing to undertake jobwork of translation of English to Tamil and viceversa. Reasonable rates and accuracy guaranteed.
Requirements:
Date when job will be awarded: All the time.
Vendor contact name: R.Venkatachalam.
Vendor URL:
You must be logged in to place bids on this job."
This is no job posting but an offer of services. Anybody interested?
Regards,
N.Raghavan

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:41
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Comments... Apr 6, 2004

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:

Has anyone ever "won" a bid on Verbingo? Any comments?

I've never bid on Verbingo, but it looks to me that you have to pay to bid, but this does not guarantee you the job. The name itself "VerBINGO" is quite revealing, insn't it? Nevertheless, even here on ProZ non Platinum members have to pay in BrowniZ to bid. It's still a form of payment, since non Platinums have to spend hours on the site collecting BrowniZ to invest in bidding. This increases the site traffic which in turn means more revenue for the owner. I think you are paying ProZ for the privilege to bid... I suppose. Is this right? I don't know.

Giovanni

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Verbingo - any comments? Apr 6, 2004

See here for more of their "products":

http://www.translationcareers.com/

Draw your own conclusions.

Marc

English to Tamil
+ ...
There is one vital difference Apr 6, 2004

In Proz, one can limit oneself to just one job and spend about 100 Brownies, which one can earn easily by taking active part in the Proz activities. If you extend the logic of Verbingo, you have to spend 2000 Brownies at one go and bid for a chunk of 20 jobs. Something stinks in this bunching and it sounds too commercial without much promise of commercial returns.
It only goes to show how great our Proz portal is and I am happy to belong to it.
Regards,
N.Raghavan
Giovanni wrote

I've never bid on Verbingo, but it looks to me that you have to pay to bid, but this does not guarantee you the job. The name itself "VerBINGO" is quite revealing, insn't it? Nevertheless, even here on ProZ non Platinum members have to pay in BrowniZ to bid. It's still a form of payment, since non Platinums have to spend hours on the site collecting BrowniZ to invest in bidding. This increases the site traffic which in turn means more revenue for the owner. I think you are paying ProZ for the privilege to bid... I suppose. Is this right? I don't know.

[Edited at 2004-04-06 17:19]

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am paying Proz Apr 6, 2004

... but if an agency is putting out a job offer, and wants me to pay them directly for having the "honour" of placing a bid, then all I can say is: deduct it from my fee!

This saves me a lot of time and money for using my credit card!

Sonja

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No... Apr 6, 2004

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

I think you are paying ProZ for the privilege to bid... I suppose. Is this right? I don't know.

Giovanni

I am sorry, but your wrong with this. I am paying Proz because:

- I can access the BlueBoard
- I have access to a lot of resources
- I think they're doing a great job and deserve the money!

Sonja

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
not personal... Apr 6, 2004

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:

I am sorry, but your wrong with this. I am paying Proz because:

- I can access the BlueBoard
- I have access to a lot of resources
- I think they're doing a great job and deserve the money!

Sonja

Hi Sonja,

you misunderstood me. I didn't mean you as in yourself, but as in "one". ProZ non platinums are paying for the privilege to bid for jobs (for the reasons explained in my previous message) and I don't think this differs a lot from Verbingo. It's just a different way of charging "customers".

Giovanni

Claudia Digel  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
There are two main differences Apr 6, 2004

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

and I don't think this differs a lot from Verbingo. It's just a different way of charging "customers".

Giovanni

I think there are two main differences:

As a non-platinum ProZ member I pay per bid, i.e. I only have to pay if I want to bid for an existing job that is interesting to me. Verbingo, on the other hand, asks you to pay for 20 bids in advance as Narasimhan pointed out. They don't guarantee you though that there will be as many (or any) job offers for your language pairs. While at ProZ I might have 'wasted' my BrowniZ (or money) if I don't get the job, there is a high chance that at Verbingo I will indeed lose my money because they won't offer any jobs that I consider suitable or interesting.

Secondly, what I find a lot more worrying is that this web site is hosted by a translation agency and from what I have seen most (if not all) of the jobs offered are from this translation agency. So they do indeed ask you to pay them for being able to bid for their jobs, as Sonja said, which makes the whole offer highly suspect.

I, personally, wouldn't even consider bidding for jobs that are offered on this web site.

Just my 2 cents...

Claudia

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
still paying... Apr 6, 2004

Claudia Digel wrote:

I think there are two main differences:

As a non-platinum ProZ member I pay per bid, i.e. I only have to pay if I want to bid for an existing job that is interesting to me. Verbingo, on the other hand, asks you to pay for 20 bids in advance as Narasimhan pointed out. They don't guarantee you though that there will be as many (or any) job offers for your language pairs. While at ProZ I might have 'wasted' my BrowniZ (or money) if I don't get the job, there is a high chance that at Verbingo I will indeed lose my money because they won't offer any jobs that I consider suitable or interesting.

Claudia

Yes, fine, but you are still paying to bid, on both sites. Different system (one might be better than the other), but the bottom line is that you are still lining the owner's pockets. It's a service and as such you have to pay for it, even if ProZ.com might seem free at first.

Giovanni

English to Tamil
+ ...
Another vital difference Apr 6, 2004

It distresses me to see that this Verbingo site is being compared to Proz. In Proz, not all jobs are to be quoted through Proz, requiring one to to pay in Brownies; you can always bid through a separate email to the outsourcer. And the outsourcers are not the site owners.
In fact any similarity between the two sites is the one obtaining between chalk and cheese, and it is obvious, which is which.
Regards,
N.Raghavan

[Edited at 2004-04-06 18:19]

Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
I'm glad you said that :) Apr 6, 2004

Narasimhan Raghavan wrote:
In fact any similarity between the two sites is the one obtaining between chalk and cheese, and it is obvious, which is which.
Regards,
N.Raghavan

I never thought I'd see the day when the profession is being marketed as a gizmo on late-night TV...

It's enough for me to not want to read any further.

Regards,

Susana Galilea
Accredited Translator, EUTI
sgalilea@ispwest.com
www.accentonspanish.com

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
differences... Apr 7, 2004

Narasimhan Raghavan wrote:

It distresses me to see that this Verbingo site is being compared to Proz.

I only said that you have to pay to bid on both sites (directly or indirectly) and that's where the similarity ends. And I also said that they are, indeed, two different systems. But obviously you read only the parts that you wanted to read....

Giovanni

English to Tamil
+ ...
Let me try once again to clarify Apr 8, 2004

In Proz things are much more transparent. You get to know who the outsourcer is and if you want you can bypass Proz and bid directly to the poster of the job. (It is another matter if the poster had insisted on quotation through Proz only and he therefore does not like your approaching him directly).
This is just not possible in Verbingo.
Just concentrating on the question of paying and trying to club both the sites into one folder is equivalent to taking a trivial view. Let me explain.
In mathematics there is an operation called factorization. A complicated expression such as (x3+3x.2y+3x.y2+y3) is to be factorized. The answer expected is (x+y).(x+y).(x+y). But if you write 1 multiplied by (x3+3x2y+3xy2+y3), it too is factorization but it is called a trivial solution and the concerned student gets a big zero. I tried it in the class once just for the heck of it and was ordered out of the class after being subjected to some sarcastic remarks from the teacher.
In the same manner you are saying one pays in both cases. But one payee is straightforward and above board and the less said about the practice of the other payee the better it is.
Regards,
N.Raghavan

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not too personal Apr 8, 2004

Dear all,

this thread wasn't meant to get too personal, so please try not to offend each other, and don't take the whole thing too serious.

I have checked the agency's BlueBoard rating, and found that they received one positive (5) mark.

I know, one grading isn't enough to be sure they are serious, and definitely not enough to run them down.

However, I do wonder why they decided to create this "resource exchange". Just to offer their own jobs? Are they sick and tired of searching for the right translator for the job? Do they want to make more profit? Did they hire an overeager business consultant?

No matter why, it is much easier to simply deduct $20 from a payment than make a translator pay in advance. At least, that's my point of view...

Sonja

[Edited at 2004-04-08 19:03]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Verbingo - any comments?

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs