Spain
Local time: 21:09
French to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 12, 2004

Hello all,

I received this message today, supposedly from an agency:

Respected Madam,

I am herewith attaching the sample documents, but you will be paiid for it.

Please send it by this evening.

Regards,

XXXXX

The "documents" are two files of more than 2000 words.

That is all. No purchase order, no nothing. Besides,
... See more
Hello all,

I received this message today, supposedly from an agency:

Respected Madam,

I am herewith attaching the sample documents, but you will be paiid for it.

Please send it by this evening.

Regards,

XXXXX

The "documents" are two files of more than 2000 words.

That is all. No purchase order, no nothing. Besides, the agency e-mail address is [email protected]

I looked for the angecy on the Blue Board-nothing. I Googled it- nothing either!

It sounds too fishy for me. What do you think? Better leave it?

Thanks a lot in advance.

[Edited at 2004-06-12 10:10]
Collapse

Jesús Marín Mateos
Jesús Marín Mateos  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
Have a go.... Jun 12, 2004

Maria:
It sounds strange but remember the 'not guilty until proven'...
Why don't you get back to them and ask them for the PO and more details...payment....rates...and everything..
I have had clients that seemed a bit weird at the beginning but are now good customers of mine....
Good luck...

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:39
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Did you check the attachment for virus? Jun 12, 2004

If you get any unsolicited attachments, do check it for virus before downloading it.
If the test is negative, proceed then with further steps. Search for the agency's references in any of the payment practice lists.
Regards,
N.Raghavan

Maria Belarra
Maria Belarra  Identity Verified
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No viruses.. Jun 12, 2004

Just two nice Word documents for an innocent translator to translate.

I followed your advice Jesus, and wrote back asking for details and a purchase order. I'll keep you posted.. but it still sounds fishy. I even don't know in which country are they based

Thanks a lot, Jesus and Narasimhan!

[Edited at 2004-06-12 11:16]

Maria Belarra
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Answer! Jun 12, 2004

Respected sir (I am not a sir!),
i am expecting this work but the client has still not confirmed. i can offer u an indian rate ie RS 0.75 as the client is offering in india if u are ready to work then it is ok .you can send me your account number of any private bank ex XXXX,XXX etc we will deposit the money in your account after 30 days of credit.

regards

I had asked specifically for a PO. Now it seems even fishier. Too unprofessional, in a
... See more
Respected sir (I am not a sir!),
i am expecting this work but the client has still not confirmed. i can offer u an indian rate ie RS 0.75 as the client is offering in india if u are ready to work then it is ok .you can send me your account number of any private bank ex XXXX,XXX etc we will deposit the money in your account after 30 days of credit.

regards

I had asked specifically for a PO. Now it seems even fishier. Too unprofessional, in any case. Fortunately, I'm busy enough this week to be able to say no.

But I'm curious now. Is the rate normal? Too low? Suspiciously high?

Strange...

[Edited at 2004-06-12 11:29]

[Edited at 2004-06-12 11:32]
Collapse

Casey Butterfield
Casey Butterfield  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
sounds like a scam Jun 12, 2004

Very fishy. Don't send them your account number Pepa, whatever you do.

Richard Benham
Richard Benham  Identity Verified
France
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
At that rate, why even bother to wonder whether it's legitimate? Jun 12, 2004

But I'm curious now. Is the rate normal? Too low? Suspiciously high?

Frankly, the rate seems too low even by Indian standards. In any case, I can´t see any virtue in someone living in Western Europe working for € 0.014 per word.

It was pretty obvious even from the initial approach that it was coming from an Indian agency. (I mean, "Respected Madam,..."?)

All in all, even if the agency is legitimate, which seems unlikely, do you really want or need to work at this rate?

Maria Belarra
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Conclusion: better leave it Jun 12, 2004

It does seem a legitimate agency (allegedly a Proz user although I cannot find them anywhere), but I said no, before I knew what the rate was. They seemed not at all trustworthy.

€ 0.014 per word.

I did not know the exchange rate between rupees and euros nor the usual rates in India. Of course it is not worth to work at such rates, but I was just curious.. This seems far too low!

Bad rates plus insecure work conditions is a certain way to lose translators trust.

Thanks, everyone, for sharing my amazement and offering good advice.

Gayle Wallimann
Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Currency converter Jun 12, 2004

Maria Belarra wrote:
I did not know the exchange rate between rupees and euros...

Hi Maria,
Glad to hear that you let it go, it does sound very fishy.
By the way, there is a link to a currency converter here on proz.com. Go to the heading "Tools" click on "Utilities" and there you will see a sentence that says "You will find a currency converter here". Click on the word "here", and there you are. Convert anything that you want to your heart's content
Regards,
Gayle

[Edited at 2004-06-12 14:32]

Maria Belarra
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Gayle Jun 12, 2004

It is very useful indeed! Although I still would have needed the help of lovely colleagues to know whether this was standard in the country of origin or not, i.e., if the agency was just abroad or really cheeky

Maria

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
stay away from them Jun 13, 2004

you would be mad to follow that up:-)

take the position that you are a professional and that you will only deal with professionals....referring to the fact that we operate businesses and others expect of us that we behave professionally, so we should also expect others contracting our services to behave professionally

our professional commitment is that we turn in quality translations on time, in return we can/should expect purchase orders, even if emails, that give ful
... See more
you would be mad to follow that up:-)

take the position that you are a professional and that you will only deal with professionals....referring to the fact that we operate businesses and others expect of us that we behave professionally, so we should also expect others contracting our services to behave professionally

our professional commitment is that we turn in quality translations on time, in return we can/should expect purchase orders, even if emails, that give full contact details for the individual or company contracting our services

apart from that, we are very vulnerable to non-payment, and the only way to deal with that problem is to assess enquiries on the basis of their professionalism

my penny's worth:-)
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Contacted by non-existant agency

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »