Thread poster: Elías Sauza

Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 15:38
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 9, 2004

I was wondering whether an average of 3 on the Blue Board is a good score to bid on a job posted by an agency. I would definitely not work for an agency for which three persons out of five have given a low rate to an outsourcer, but 120 people think it is worth the while. I'm aware that not all translators enter scores after having worked for a given agency, but I believe the proz BB is representative in this case.

[Edited at 2004-08-09 14:24]

Direct link Reply with quote

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Let them have fun Aug 9, 2004

Everybody has the right to gain his own experience.

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 18:38
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Another fact Aug 9, 2004

Elías Sauza wrote:
... but 120 people think it is worth the while.

Another fact is that many ProZ members think that the BB for US$ 0.50 or 50 BrowniZ is too expensive and prefer living dangerously.
Some other haven't discovered the BB yet.

Claudia

Todd Field  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:38
Member (2003)
Portuguese to English
One possibility... Aug 9, 2004

A few agencies deliberately pay their "preferred" translators on time while delaying payment to others.

The motives for classifying translators into two very distinct groups can of course vary, but are often linked to obvious things like quality of work, ability to meet deadlines and translator "compatibility" with the agency (in terms of having competitive rates, high demand language pairs matching the jobs the agency receives, translator location/ease of making payments, etc.).

This approach to project outsourcing can result in two clear-cut categories of BB ratings: one group of blue 5's and another group of glaring pink 1's. While some may find such business practices questionable, I have seen it before on a couple of occasions.

Without knowing the particulars of the agency you are referring to, this could be an explanation for the information you are seeing.

Good luck to you either way!

Todd

Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
check other payment practices lists Aug 9, 2004

Todd and Monica Field wrote:

A few agencies deliberately pay their "preferred" translators on time while delaying payment to others.

Completely agree, Tod, that's why I don't rely only on the BB and whenever I'm contacted by an agency I have no references about, I check 2 or 3 more payment practices lists. The more opinions you have the better you can decide whether to go for it or not.

Cheers,
Grace

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:38
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Those who do not give reviews Aug 10, 2004

Harry, Claudia, Todd and Graciela have all made excellent comments.

Here is my own: if there are 120 reviews, but not a single one has complained about not getting paid then I say it is a very good bet. If there are complaints about lateness only I still say go for it. 120 is a lot. Furthermore, there most certainly are several out there who did not put up a review. This is good news. When a translater gets done wrong, s/he will be screaming bloody murder all over the Net. The Blue Board is likely to be one of the first places to complain.

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:38
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Pardon me, Edward, but ... Aug 11, 2004

... Elías wrote in his initial posting:

"... I would definitely not work for an agency for which three persons out of five have given a low rate to an outsourcer, but 120 people think it is worth the while. ..."

... which I read as "a total of five people have rated the outsourcer, of whom three submitted a bad rating" and "120 people placed a bid" for the job referred to by Elías.

So the low-high ratio is rather 3-2.

Steffen

[Edited at 2004-08-11 09:00]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bidding on a job posted by a low-rated agency

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs