Mobile menu

KudoZ questions - who gets to see them first?
Thread poster: Margaret Lagoyianni

Margaret Lagoyianni
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:34
English to Greek
+ ...
Apr 22, 2002

Just want to clarify a point. Do moderators get first viewing of questions i.e do they see them before they are posted to general view on proz? Surely, if this is so, they have an unfair advantage - or is this an advantage of becoming platinum?

Many thanks in advance!

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 13:34
SITE FOUNDER
Everyone gets immediate access to the questions Apr 22, 2002

...and emails go out as quickly as we can send them, in no particular order. As long as things are operating smoothly, the maximum period of time that would pass before an email notice goes out is about ten minutes.

An additional delay may occur at your email provider. The free services--hotmail, yahoo, etc.--will typically add a delay of 5 to 15 minutes.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:34
English to German
+ ...
Henry's right Apr 22, 2002

...and while he certainly doesn\'t need justification, I\'d like to add a few thoughts.

Actually, my first reaction when I read this post was: \"How did she get this idea?\"

On second thoughts, it might sometimes appear as if moderators/Platinum members had some sort of \"fast-track\" access.

Not so.

The reason why you will find quite a few mods/Platinum members among the fastest answerers is because many are permanently online. To give you an example, I have a permanent Internet connection, and my e-mail client scans the mail server every 60 seconds. Even so, I frequently find myself second or third, even if I knew the answer straight away.

Rest assured: it\'s a level playing field. What\'s more, people should be looking at the best (rather than the quickest) answer. Which is why we keep recommending to ProZ users to keep questions open for at least a few hours: the person best qualified to answer a question might be the one with the slowest connection.

Margaret Lagoyianni
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:34
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 22, 2002

Thankyou Henry and Ralf for putting me right on this.

Guy Bray  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:34
Member (2002)
French to English
Time Zone Counts Too Apr 23, 2002

You may have overlooked the time zone effect. Most questions evidently come from Europe and Eastern N. America. Those of us who live in the Pacific Zone almost invariably come late to the party. When I get up in the morning there\'s rarely an unanswered query, and at night there\'s little action: everyone else is in bed.

Then again, you guys don\'t get to live in California.

Yubing YANG
English to Chinese
+ ...
Yes, time zones and timetable make the difference Apr 23, 2002

According to my working schedule in China, Beijing time, I always found Kudoz questions answered already provided by other warm-hearted translators when I try to offer my help. But it\'s good to read others and offer your judgement or provide your answers.

xxxivw
English to Hungarian
+ ...
.. and some of us NEVER see the questions.. Apr 24, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-04-22 17:28, Henry wrote:

...and emails go out as quickly as we can send them, in no particular order. As long as things are operating smoothly, the maximum period of time that would pass before an email notice goes out is about ten minutes.

Sadly, this delay in my case has been an indefinite period of time, that is I am not receiving them at all; and from other threads here on ProZ I know I\'m not the only one. We are simply not getting ANY KudoZ questions or, as a matter of fact, job postings.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-24 19:00 ]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ questions - who gets to see them first?

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs