Sven Wagener  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:44
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Nov 9, 2004

Dear colleagues,

I know this topic has been discussed on several occasions, but I am still not sure what to do.

I have been offered the following project:

- translation of consultation leaflets, assessment records and managements guides.

In total this adds up to twelve different parts and a total of approx. 750 pages.

I have of course calculated how much I would normally charge (given the number of words per page and my rate per source word) and I have calculated how long I would it would take me to get the job finished. How much extra time would be reasonable, if I don't want to work every single day for the
next, e.g. three/four months?

Second, when writing the offer, would you write an overall offer for the project, or would you state deadline, price for every single booklet, leaflet etc?

Third, are there any good sources, which give me an idea how to write a really professional offer?

I would really like to do the job, at the same time I have never done such a large project.

I would be really grateful for any ideas.

Sven Wagener

Direct link Reply with quote

Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
One idea... Nov 9, 2004

Hi Sven!

I don't have time to answer all of your questions right now, but here's one idea:
Sven Wagener wrote:

Second, when writing the offer, would you write an overall offer for the project, or would you state deadline, price for every single booklet, leaflet etc?

Ask your customer how they need the offer to be structured, and if they have different deadlines for the different booklets, etc.

AFIK that's the only way to make sure that your offer is in line with what the customer actually needs.

HTH

Alison

Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
some ideas Nov 9, 2004

Hi Sven,

Sven Wagener wrote:
How much extra time would be reasonable, if I don't want to work every single day for the next, e.g. three/four months?

Count the days you calculated taking business days only (leaving out weekends/holidays and any day you wouldn't want to work) (i.e, you have at least 8 days a month that correspond to weekends, so add this to your net calculation)

This depends on how the client wants it and wants the material back. As Alison suggested, ask the client.

Third, are there any good sources, which give me an idea how to write a really professional offer?

This also depends on how you sort the second question. But as a general rule, you'll have to include your details, the client details, the job details, estimated time & cost, payment terms, terms of service and all the details that you consider relevant for the other party to know/evaluate.

Hope this helps and you get the job!!
Grace.

ps. given that it's a big job, don't forget to aks for advance payment and/or several payments, or you'll have to wait for months before you see any of your hard earned money.

[Edited at 2004-11-09 13:58]

Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
my experience Nov 9, 2004

For past large projects, I gave the client my total estimate of time and fee, plus a separate broken down version of it. This had the advantage of

(a) justifying the overall high cost - once you see it broken down in a detailed list of tasks/sections and timeframes, it's easier to appreciate the work and time involved. In my case, the client needed to stay within a certain budget, so we agreed together on which parts to skip to stay within his limit.

(b) establishing milestones, with partial deliveries - it makes it easier both for you and your client to follow up its status and ensure you are on track

(c) establishing amount of monthly invoice

HtH,
Roberta

ps. I added some buffer time, to cover any problems that might arise; I calculated this as 1 extra working day per estimated week of work, so 2 weeks for a 3-months projects. If you can then deliver 2 weeks ahead of the agreed deadline, you'll have a happy client; if you need this buffer time after all, you are covered and will still deliver on time.

[Edited at 2004-11-09 20:32]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How would you approach this project

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs