Need advice on returning to translation!
Thread poster: Rosseon
Rosseon
Rosseon
Local time: 18:50
Swedish to English
Nov 15, 2004

I have about eight years experience translating Swedish to English but have not taken on a project for the last two years. I will begin teacher training next week and translating will suit that work both financially and in terms of intellectual stimulation. However, I am a little worried about getting and doing new work given that I am a little out of practice. I really want to get back into it but how do I balance that with telling the client that I'm out or practice? If anyone has any nuggets ... See more
I have about eight years experience translating Swedish to English but have not taken on a project for the last two years. I will begin teacher training next week and translating will suit that work both financially and in terms of intellectual stimulation. However, I am a little worried about getting and doing new work given that I am a little out of practice. I really want to get back into it but how do I balance that with telling the client that I'm out or practice? If anyone has any nuggets of advice I'd be grateful.Collapse

Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:50
English to German
Don't worry too much... Nov 15, 2004

...it will all come back very soon. If I were you, I would simply allow myself more time for the first translations because you will probably need more time than before. This way, you can make sure that your quality is as high as before.

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:50
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Do not advertise the 2 year absence from translation scene Nov 15, 2004

Marion Schimmelpfennig wrote:

...it will all come back very soon. If I were you, I would simply allow myself more time for the first translations because you will probably need more time than before. This way, you can make sure that your quality is as high as before.

Exactly!
And I would not stress the fact that you have not been translating for 2 years. Most clients probably would not even ask or mind. If asked - admit, but do not advertise the fact. After all, what matters is the 8 year experience before that. And as Marion already mentioned - it will all come back very soon, all you need is just get going.

Good luck!
Burrell

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need advice on returning to translation!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »