https://www.proz.com/forum/being_independent/27545-agents_for_literary_translation.html

Agents for Literary Translation
Thread poster: Jesús Marín Mateos
Jesús Marín Mateos
Jesús Marín Mateos  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 13, 2004

Dear colleagues,
I know this subject has come up on several occasions but as I am trying to move onto the literatry translation field and have failed a couple of attempts I was wondering if any of you have had any experience with agents.
In www.writersmarket.com it says the following:
'A new translator who is not yet established may want to work through an agent'.
Although I have se
... See more
Dear colleagues,
I know this subject has come up on several occasions but as I am trying to move onto the literatry translation field and have failed a couple of attempts I was wondering if any of you have had any experience with agents.
In www.writersmarket.com it says the following:
'A new translator who is not yet established may want to work through an agent'.
Although I have several years experience in translation I am a new-comer as far as the translation of books is concerned.
Well, I'd appreciate all the feedback you may possible offer and if you know named agents who work with translators that would also be great.
Many thanks.
Collapse

Pablo Grosschmid
Pablo Grosschmid  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
authors, not agents Dec 20, 2004

Agents represent authors, and famous authors can impose their translators for certain languages; select the authors you would like to translate; see if existing translations of their works into Spanish are substandard, and try to contact/meet/convince them that you can do better.

For non-living authors or public domain works, publishing houses are the place to go (awfully difficult), if you want to do literary translations into Spanish as a hobby (rates are very low because quality
... See more
Agents represent authors, and famous authors can impose their translators for certain languages; select the authors you would like to translate; see if existing translations of their works into Spanish are substandard, and try to contact/meet/convince them that you can do better.

For non-living authors or public domain works, publishing houses are the place to go (awfully difficult), if you want to do literary translations into Spanish as a hobby (rates are very low because quality does not matter).
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agents for Literary Translation

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »