https://www.proz.com/forum/being_independent/29382-how_many_have_liability_insurance.html

How many have liability insurance?
Thread poster: Tess Whitty
Tess Whitty
Tess Whitty
United States
Local time: 13:00
Member (2004)
English to Swedish
Feb 14, 2005

Hi!

I am considering getting a professional liability insurance against errors and omissions. But is it worth it? How many of you have an insurance of some sort?

This question is especially directed to freelancers in the US, considering the legal climate here.

I would be really grateful for your input. Thanks!

Kathi Stock
Kathi Stock  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:00
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
I do. Feb 14, 2005

I do have a liability & ommission insurance. It was required by the Dallas county in order to be listed as court certified interpreter. I guess it was just a precaution by the Dallas county, I never had to use my policy so far (I got the policy 3 years ago).

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 21:00
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Mine does not cover the US! Feb 15, 2005

I have a policy as a member of the IoL.

It does not cover liability in the USA, but that is not a problem for me, as European clients keep me busy enough.

I live in Denmark, but am not entitled to the very advantageous terms insurers offer to Danish State Authorised Translators.

However, when I talked to insurers to explore the market, both Danish and British insurers agreed that a very tiny language error can be enormously expensive, and translators are no
... See more
I have a policy as a member of the IoL.

It does not cover liability in the USA, but that is not a problem for me, as European clients keep me busy enough.

I live in Denmark, but am not entitled to the very advantageous terms insurers offer to Danish State Authorised Translators.

However, when I talked to insurers to explore the market, both Danish and British insurers agreed that a very tiny language error can be enormously expensive, and translators are not always aware of them, although technically responsible. (Think of zeros in doses of medicine and the like...) Wrong figures in the source text are not the translator's responsibility, but typing errors in the translation obviously are.

On the other hand, insurers find that translators and proof readers catch most errors, and that they rarely have to pay damages in practice.

I've caught my mistakes at the proof-reading stage so far (or another proof reader has) but I am not good at figures, and I happily renew my insurance each year.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How many have liability insurance?

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »