Mobile menu

Germany - translation + teaching - Rentenversicherung
Thread poster: Louise Mawbey
Louise Mawbey  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:21
German to English
Feb 21, 2005

I work as a freelance translator in Germany. As I am freelance I am not obliged to pay into the German state pension scheme and so I have my own private pension policy.

As I am actually a trained teacher my son's school have asked me if I would be interested in supply teaching. They usually employ supply teachers on a 400 EUR per month basis, freeing them from the need to pay into the pension scheme. However I have heard that all teachers who earn over this 400 eur have to pay 19.5% of their earnings into the state scheme (other freelancers do not have to do this).
With my translation work and teaching work together I would earn more than 400 eur althought the teaching part would be less than 400 euros. Does this mean that I would have to pay this 19.5% or not?

Does anybody have any experience with this? All help would be gratefully received.

Direct link Reply with quote

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Post in German forum as well? Feb 21, 2005

Hi Louise,

Perhaps it might be a good idea to post this in the German forum as well since this issue is very specific to Germany.

My 2 cents worth,

Steffen

Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
A good idea Feb 22, 2005

Thanks, Steffen, I think that's a good idea. Just means letting everyone know how bad my written German is though!!

AnnikaLight  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
This site might help... Feb 23, 2005

Hi Louise,

Check out this site: http://www.erwin-denzler.de/sv-dozenten/

Hope this helps

Annika

Caroline Brügge
Germany
German to English
Bundesversicherungsanstalt Tel. No. Feb 24, 2005

I rang up the "Bundesvericherungsanstalt für Angestellte" because I was thinking of teaching English and they told me that the 19,5 % applies to the money earnt by teaching.
You can ring them up on their service telephone: 08003331919.
Hope this helps!

Caroline

Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
400 Basis Feb 25, 2005

Thanks everyone for your input.

I later found out that the teaching work would be on the "400 EUR basis" and not freelance. The IHK told me that as a freelancer you are allowed to take on one 400 EUR job without having to pay into the social security system, so that's solved the problem for me. I hope that you, Caroline, can somehow get round the 19.5% too.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Germany - translation + teaching - Rentenversicherung

Advanced search

Translation news

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs