Thread poster: AAAmedical
AAAmedical
AAAmedical  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 07:59
English to Dutch
+ ...
May 27, 2002

I would like to know what\'s a resonable % extra charge for weekend work.

I have a disagreement with an agency about that so I would like to know if I ask too much or if they are trying to....

Thanks

Ann

bochkor
bochkor
Local time: 01:59
English to German
+ ...
1½-2 times May 27, 2002

Well, having no concrete experience in the freelance world regarding this, I would take \"time and a half\" from the U.S. employment world as a basis. Some unions even have negotiated contracts with \"double time\" for certain holidays (not all). So 1½-2 times your original rate sounds fair to me.

Karin Adamczyk (X)
Karin Adamczyk (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
French to English
What is your weekend worth to you? May 27, 2002

I have a disagreement with an agency about that so I would like to know if I ask too much or if they are trying to....

It all depends on what is fair enough for you to give up your weekend.

It also depends on how the work is presented.

I arrange my work so I don\'t have to work weekends, but I can if I want to get ahead. In this case, it i
... See more

It all depends on what is fair enough for you to give up your weekend.

It also depends on how the work is presented.

I arrange my work so I don\'t have to work weekends, but I can if I want to get ahead. In this case, it is not fair to charge a weekend rate because there is *no need* to work on the weekend, it is simply my choice.

However, if the work is presented on a Friday afternoon and the client wants it Monday morning, obviously the work has to be done on the weekend. I only accept such jobs if I don\'t already have plans for the weekend (rare) and if the work can be completed in one day. Saturday is totally off limits because it is our family day, except under very special circumstances that must be arranged well in advance. In this case, and when work at night is required, I charge 50% extra.

You also need to be careful that working these extra hours does not affect your other deadlines by making you too tired to do a good job.

HTH,

Karin Adamczyk
Collapse

bochkor
bochkor
English to German
+ ...
How much vs. if May 27, 2002

I think there are 2 different issues here. One is whether to impose a weekend surcharge at all, the other is how much.

How much I already answered above, but whether to charge it or not, I can say that it depends on whether you have a lot of jobs, hence are in the position to turn down a few (then yes, I would, definitely) or you are happy about every single job that comes in, because you don\'t have enough (then I would not).

But the goal, the direction
... See more
I think there are 2 different issues here. One is whether to impose a weekend surcharge at all, the other is how much.

How much I already answered above, but whether to charge it or not, I can say that it depends on whether you have a lot of jobs, hence are in the position to turn down a few (then yes, I would, definitely) or you are happy about every single job that comes in, because you don\'t have enough (then I would not).

But the goal, the direction we translators should take is definitely towards charging weekend rates, because any disruption to our holidays should be compensated as in any other profession. So we should certainly try to get agencies and direct clients used to paying extra for weekends, so it becomes a natural, just like brushing your teeth.
Collapse

Bilingualduo
Bilingualduo  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Organise your work - don't charge more May 27, 2002

Hi Ann,

I would agree with Karin\'s advice. It depends what your weekend is worth to you. If one is starting out in the business, it is probable that you will want to go the extra mile and put in weekend work. In time, as one becomes more established and has a steady and reliable source of clients, you will probably want to keep some time for yourself and so, why not the weekend?

If you are able to organise your week and the work within it, you\'ll find
... See more
Hi Ann,

I would agree with Karin\'s advice. It depends what your weekend is worth to you. If one is starting out in the business, it is probable that you will want to go the extra mile and put in weekend work. In time, as one becomes more established and has a steady and reliable source of clients, you will probably want to keep some time for yourself and so, why not the weekend?

If you are able to organise your week and the work within it, you\'ll find that you don\'t have to work weekends, unless you want to - and/or unless you are asked to take on an urgent job. Urgent projects are usually subject to a rush fee which is agreed beforehand at a rate you should set for yourself. The choice is then yours whether or not to accept the work.

Organise your work in such a way as to leave yourself some time for the finer things in life (*not* that I am *in any way* suggesting working 20 hour days, 7 days a week is not the pinnacle of an ideal life style! Heaven forbid!)

The other point Karin made is also a truesim to live by. Don\'t tire yourself out too much by accepting weekend/overnight work which will mean you giving less than your best to work which you have taken on for the rest of the week.

Buon lavoro,

B.W.

Collapse

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
50% extra May 27, 2002

My policy is the same as Karin\'s, above. Overtime is defined as having to work on a weekend or stay up past my bed time in order to meet a deadline. The cost is 50% above my normal fee, in other words time-and-a-half. The client is always informed before I start the job that an extra charge will be involved to meet the deadline, and then they have the choice to say (1)OK, (2)regular charge, and the deadline is extended, or (3)no, they will look for someone else.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
2 cents from working in conferences... May 27, 2002

I started in congress and conference work, and this was never a question of WHAT DAY, because if we all took the weekend off, obviously congresses and summits would get nowhere (we could take other days off, with even a paid holiday once in awhile). But what was expected of us was a basis; i.e., 3,000 words/day. So if we did more than that on the same occasion or for the same client, the excess was obviously overtime, with the 50% that GoodWords says. (Note that another client B will not have to... See more
I started in congress and conference work, and this was never a question of WHAT DAY, because if we all took the weekend off, obviously congresses and summits would get nowhere (we could take other days off, with even a paid holiday once in awhile). But what was expected of us was a basis; i.e., 3,000 words/day. So if we did more than that on the same occasion or for the same client, the excess was obviously overtime, with the 50% that GoodWords says. (Note that another client B will not have to pay surcharge on the work you did for A). However, Karin\'s right, the advantage of being freelance is being able to decide I WON\'T WORK AT WEEKENDS. (In such a case, you should discount the weekends when you negotiate your deadlines).Collapse

Marijke Mayer
Marijke Mayer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
agree with Karen . . . May 27, 2002

. . .if the work is presented on a Friday afternoon and wanted on Monday morning, I would have no hesitation negotiating an extra charge. However, I know that in the government agency I am temping at, they took a very dim view of the fact that a translator charged double. Everybody expects us to work for the same rate, so my advice is to arrange your work so you don\'t have to work weekends and if presented with work, explain the situation, and I would charge at least time and half.

... See more
. . .if the work is presented on a Friday afternoon and wanted on Monday morning, I would have no hesitation negotiating an extra charge. However, I know that in the government agency I am temping at, they took a very dim view of the fact that a translator charged double. Everybody expects us to work for the same rate, so my advice is to arrange your work so you don\'t have to work weekends and if presented with work, explain the situation, and I would charge at least time and half.

Marijke
Collapse

Ian Wood
Ian Wood  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 14:59
Japanese to English
+ ...
this may sound stupid but... Jun 1, 2002

isn\'t the beauty of freelancing the fact that you choose your weekends. I like to take advantage of the fact that I can take the family places that are normally too crowded on the weekends, so working on weekends is actually a plus in some ways.

Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
on the beauty of freelancing Mar 10, 2003

Quote:

On 2002-06-01 15:53, swampbag wrote:

isn\'t the beauty of freelancing the fact that you choose your weekends. I like to take advantage of the fact that I can take the family places that are normally too crowded on the weekends, so working on weekends is actually a plus in some ways.

I actually have the same policy as a couple of my colleagues above, i.e. I will charge an extra 50% on jo... See more
Quote:

On 2002-06-01 15:53, swampbag wrote:

I actually have the same policy as a couple of my colleagues above, i.e. I will charge an extra 50% on jobs that I accept on a Friday for delivery over the weekend or the following Monday. My clients are aware of this policy beacuse it is spelled out in the document listing my rates, and I will always make sure to remind them of it before accepting such a job (and often the tight deadline will magically evaporate on contact

I never charge extra for working on weekends under any other circumstances, i.e. when I am choosing to work on a weekend because it suits my schedule. Sure, there is beauty in choosing your weekends. But if you are working full-time and a client sends you a job on a Friday for delivery the following Monday, then it is no longer a matter of choice. I will charge extra, or graciously turn down the job.

S. ▲ Collapse

ckatsidonis
ckatsidonis  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
50%... Mar 11, 2003

Hi,

I just happen to have had the case this week-end: the work arrived at 10.30 PM and had to be given back on Monday very early (Bangkok time!). I was asked if I could take care of a text and I said yes, only if 50% week-end extra was applied to the total price. If you work with professionals, they should understand this and agree.

However, if you work on week-ends because you want to, that’s your decision. Last week I had a similar case: a very short text to t
... See more
Hi,

I just happen to have had the case this week-end: the work arrived at 10.30 PM and had to be given back on Monday very early (Bangkok time!). I was asked if I could take care of a text and I said yes, only if 50% week-end extra was applied to the total price. If you work with professionals, they should understand this and agree.

However, if you work on week-ends because you want to, that’s your decision. Last week I had a similar case: a very short text to translate, received on Thursday and that had to be sent back on Monday. I took a little bit of my Sunday evening time to do it, but the client had let me plenty of time to do it during the first two days. It depends on how you organize your life.

Regards

Charalambos
Collapse

Emma Gledhill
Emma Gledhill
Switzerland
German to English
+ ...
Agree Mar 26, 2003

..with the majority here.

Assuming the problem is short deadlines rather than poor time management on my part, my policy is if a job cannot be done within normal office hours then a surcharge applies. The level just depends on the client but is usually around 50%.

Just because you are freelance does not mean that clients should be able to take undue advantage of your flexibility. After all, you are running a business, not practising a hobby (usually!), i
... See more
..with the majority here.

Assuming the problem is short deadlines rather than poor time management on my part, my policy is if a job cannot be done within normal office hours then a surcharge applies. The level just depends on the client but is usually around 50%.

Just because you are freelance does not mean that clients should be able to take undue advantage of your flexibility. After all, you are running a business, not practising a hobby (usually!), in which case your clients should be expecting you to work more or less the same office hours they do, not in \'your own time\', for want of a better phrase, without adequate compensation.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

extra charge for weekend work

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »