Mobile menu

To become a good interpretor for tourists
Thread poster: Frédéric Bégon

Frédéric Bégon
Local time: 23:28
English to French
+ ...
Mar 6, 2005

I am going to receive chinese tourists in France. I am French but I shall speak English to the young Chinese who will conduct the group. Then he will interprete into Chinese my cultural news about french monuments, traditions, arts of cooking and so on.
I am looking for your experience in this kind of activity as interpretor. Thank you in advance for every advice in order to do a good job.

Direct link Reply with quote

Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:28
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
a few tips Mar 6, 2005

I think it would be a very good idea to talk to the English-Chinese interpreter for a short while before you actually start the guiding through Paris. If you have the chance, of course.

During this initial talk, you could assess how well he/she understands English. You could list all the cultural expressions you are likely to use in your presentation... to make sure she/he understands them. They may all have heard about the Eiffel tower, but perhaps ratatouille needs some explanation.

Also, you could make a very good impression if you greeted the group in Chinese. You could say, for example, "ni men hao" (good morning/afternoon, plural form), or "huanying huanying" (you are welcome). Ask the interpreter for the pronunciation.

Good luck,

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

To become a good interpretor for tourists

Advanced search

Translation news

Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs