Mobile menu

Tax filing in Canada- Need some advice
Thread poster: Ahmed Ismail

Ahmed Ismail  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:31
English to Arabic
+ ...
Apr 18, 2005

Dear fellows

Now, I am preparing to file the tax these days as a self-employed. (I am doing it on my own)

I would appreciate to help me out with these queries.
- This is my first time to file the tax as "self-employed" working from home. DO I need to send my tax forms via post and enclose a copy of ALL the receipts, invoices, check slips,..etc or I donot have to do that?

- If the answer to the above questions is no, can I do it electronically then?

- I am subcontracting some translators overseas to help my with the translation. Would this be under salaries and wages line? or would be considered under other expsenses line?

Thanks in advance

[Edited at 2005-04-18 21:27]

Direct link Reply with quote

Vladimir Dubisskiy  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:31
English to Russian
+ ...
advice Apr 18, 2005

You can go to any post-office and pick the Guide to to do the tax return. It's all explained there.
Very briefly - there is no need to include everything but you may keep it to provide if asked later.

I would not advise to do it electronically - it can be more expensive and then you will never be sure whether they get it or not. Re. subcontracting and else - better take the Guide it will be explained there, because nobody knows what Tax Form you are filling and what is your status - Guide will tell you (if not - go to any Revenue Canada office and pick as many guides and forms you need).

Hope it will help,

Direct link Reply with quote

Louise Dupont  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:31
Member (2004)
English to French
Don't forget the deductions... Apr 19, 2005

If you have a home office, you can deduct a percentage of the utilities (electricity, phone bills, Internet bills....), if you use your car you can also deduct a percentage of all the gas bills, license...
Depending ont the province you live in, it can be different.

Good luck!

Direct link Reply with quote

Ahmed Ismail  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:31
English to Arabic
+ ...
What about the receipts' copies? Apr 19, 2005

Thanks Vladimir and Louise for your replies.

As far I understand now, I donot need to enclose copies of the receipts with my tax return. Just to keep them if asked for in the future.

Direct link Reply with quote
Erika Pavelka  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:31
French to English
No receipts Apr 19, 2005


You never enclose business receipts with your income tax return. The only receipts you enclose are RRSP investment slips, charitable donation slips and any slips from clients (like a T4A).

Since it's the first time you're filing as a self-employed worker, I would suggest getting an accountant to do it. They know everything about our situation (what can be deducted as an expense, for example). For me, it's a peace-of-mind investment. I entrust my tax return to the experts (just like I appreciate clients entrusting their translations to me).

Good luck,


Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tax filing in Canada- Need some advice

Advanced search

Translation news

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs