Mobile menu

Medical and Dental Insurance for Freelancers
Thread poster: ejprotran

ejprotran
Local time: 11:01
English to Japanese
Jun 4, 2002

Could anyone tell me what types of medical and dental insurance programs specifically designed for freelancers are available in the US?

I\'d appreciate any inputs from you all.

Satoshi

Direct link Reply with quote

Patricia Myers
United States
Local time: 19:01
English to Catalan
+ ...
ATA Jun 4, 2002

There is some information at ATA\'s website. http://www.atanet.org.

You can also purchase an individual or family plan from any insurance company. I don\'t know where in the USA you live so I can\'t really help you. I have information about insurance companies here in California but don\'t know much about other states.

Good luck,

Patricia

Kaori Myatt  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:01
Member (2004)
English to Japanese
+ ...
””N‘O‚Í Jun 5, 2002

Blue cross blue shieldȂǂłȃvƂ܂Bł͂낢vdg݂ςĂ̂ł͂Ɛ@܂A܂荂ȂāAǂ̕a@łĂ̂ł悩łB

A{ɋA\\肪NɈxłȂA{̊COsҕی̕łBdeductibleȂBiZ҂̂ŁA{ɋA\\肪ȂȂʂłB

If you can\'t read this Japanese message, Sorry.

Kaori

Sonya Gerisch  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:01
Member (2004)
German to English
Try The Translators and Interpreters Guild Jun 5, 2002

Hello,

I am a member of The Translators and Interpreters Guild and members can get group rates on insurance. The Guild is part of The Communication Workers of America AFL-CIO, so they do have some clout when negotiating for insurance. Here is the link:

http://www.ttig.org

I don\'t remember if they specifically have insurance information on there, but there is information on how to become a member.

I am a member of the certification committee, so feel free to contact me as well.

Sonya Gerisch

gerisch@att.net

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-05 18:01 ]

Mark Oliver  Identity Verified
Indonesian to English
+ ...
TTIG Group insurance Jun 5, 2002

TTIG does not have much info on their website, other than a suggestion to call their 800 number for information related to \"two comprehensive group insurance packages\" : 1-800-992-0367.

I am not enrolled myself, so can\'t really offer more info than that.

ejprotran
Local time: 11:01
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
To all Jun 6, 2002

Thank you for all the helpful suggestions

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hi Satoshi Jun 14, 2002

The problem with health insurance in the USA is that it is terribly expensive.

If I were you, I would go to GOOGLE and type :\"self-employed, health insurance\". You\'ll get lots of hits and you will be able to shop and get the best rates.

Good luck!

Suzanne Couture  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:01
Spanish to English
Medical Insurance Oct 23, 2002

Greetings :^)

I spoke with an agent today from the NASE (National Association for the Self-Employed), which seems to offer a reasonably priced plan for hospitalization and accidents at least. They have a discount card for routine office visits and prescription drugs, included in the same package. The price I was quoted was under $100/month. Here\'s the Web site if you\'d like more information: http://www.nase.org/

Good luck!

Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
I have a plan through health.net that I'm pretty happy with. Oct 24, 2002

Of course, it all depends on where you live - health.net only serves CA, AZ, OR and the northeast of the US.

But the plan only costs me 57 dollars a month. This is for medical and drug. There are plans available with dental and vision included, but that bumps up the cost considerably (triples it in my case).

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Other considerations Oct 25, 2002

I would look at factors beyond just price. What is the use of a cheap plan if you can\'t go to the doctor you want? I pay extra (and I mean *extra* because this is for my whole family) to get a PPO, i.e. freedom to choose my doctors, from a very well-known company that is accepted by nearly all doctors. This company has been very easy to reach and talk to when I need information. I feel that the extra is worth it.

sebastian lantos  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
what state are you in? Jan 28, 2003

waht state are you in?

Melissa Field  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:01
German to English
+ ...
my experience w/ NASE Jan 31, 2003

Hi!

I called the people at NASE about a year ago to get quotes on insurance. They sent over a salesman who talked (for hours!!) and jotted down lots of somewhat vague data on a legal pad. He said that he could not give me anything in writing, but he pressed me to make a decision and write him a check right then, which made me very uncomfortable. I thought - maybe it was just the pushy salesman that put me off, but not long afterward, my sister had a similar experience with a NASE insurance agent in the state where she lives.

In just the last few weeks, there was an interesting article in the Wall Street Journal about NASE and other similar groups who sell their own insurance and then raise the rates drastically. If I remember correctly, the insurance company is owned by the same company who runs NASE - but don\'t quote me on that. All in all, I am wary about them now.

After getting lots of quotes from different companies, I decided to go with a high-deductible insurance plan to get lower monthly premiums. That\'s really just a matter of choice, but so far it is working out alright for me. There are a few websites that will let you compare quotes.

Best of luck to you!

Melissa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Medical and Dental Insurance for Freelancers

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TransPDF.com PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs