Agents for translators
Thread poster: Jonathan Widell
Jonathan Widell  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:47
Member (2003)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Jun 19, 2005

I just received an email from somebody who says he is a recruitor. I think he means that he is offering his services as an agent for translators. I also think he says he wants me to pay him a 35% commission.

I have never heard of agents for translators. I am also very mistrustful of unsolicited mail from a address. However, for an independent translator like me, an agent would not be such a bad idea.

I have never heard that such agents even existed. Are there translators who actually use them? If so, where can I get one?

Direct link Reply with quote
Kevin Fulton
United States
Local time: 16:47
German to English
Do your own marketing Jun 20, 2005

Ideally speaking, translation agencies act as an interface between translators and end clients. They seek out both clients and service providers (translators). Agencies take a large percentage of the fee because they assume the risk of collecting payment in addition to marketing translation services.

Good agencies send jobs to translators they know (or assume) to be competent in specific areas.

An individual acting on your behalf as an agent less likely to be discriminating when it comes to placing jobs with you, since he/she is working on a commission basis; unless this individual is familiar with your language combination, you could be deluged with jobs for which you are unqualified.

Your best bet is to contact regular translation agencies, sending a CV listing your qualifications and experience. In addition, spend some time marketing yourself to direct clients. Many translators balance their clients between agencies and direct customers.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agents for translators

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs