Can you "freeze" your VAT in Italy?
Thread poster: Elvira Schmid
Elvira Schmid
Elvira Schmid  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:52
English to German
Jun 29, 2005

I am VAT registered in Italy and am thinking of moving to Ireland for tax reasons. Would I have to cancel my business here or could i "freeze" it so I would not pay any VAT or similar while I am away?
I would register in Ireland for the time I am there.

cfdrtg
cfdrtg
Local time: 19:22
English to German
+ ...
What would happen Jun 30, 2005

is that you do not pay VAT since you do not invoice in Italy, but you will still have to pay all the expenses due from the past year, such as INPS (contributo previdenziale), income taxes, accounting costs at least for one more year (e.g dues from 2004 in 2005). After that, if there is no movement on your Partita IVA, the account "freezes" itself.

Keep in mind that if you close you VAT no. in Italy, there might be problems to get hold of your INPS funds later (if you started paying
... See more
is that you do not pay VAT since you do not invoice in Italy, but you will still have to pay all the expenses due from the past year, such as INPS (contributo previdenziale), income taxes, accounting costs at least for one more year (e.g dues from 2004 in 2005). After that, if there is no movement on your Partita IVA, the account "freezes" itself.

Keep in mind that if you close you VAT no. in Italy, there might be problems to get hold of your INPS funds later (if you started paying from the beginning, it is next to 10 yrs. of pension funding). I would recommend you check with your accountant, if an occasional Italian invoice might not be helpful to maintain your INPS account going.

Good luck
Daniela
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can you "freeze" your VAT in Italy?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »