Scam e-mail - 'job offer' combined with CAT tools at big discounts
Thread poster: Matthew Kinnersly

Matthew Kinnersly  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:50
Japanese to English
Jul 18, 2005

I got an e-mail today offering a stream of jobs (all at rates too low to take). Nothing unusual there, but the mail also stated that to take their jobs I would have to use "Trados 6.5/7 freelance, Transit XV pro, Deja Vu X 7.0 pro, SDLX 2005 pro, MS Office XP/2003, Adobe Creative Suite 2 Premium 2005, QuarkXpress 6.0/6.5. " It then went on to offer to sell me any of these I don't have at big discounts. This is obviously a variant on the usual pirate software spams, but it passes itself off as a purchase order for translation work. I expect it goes without saying that this is a scam to be avoided. Did anyone else get this kind of thing?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-07-18 06:44]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:50
English to German
+ ...
Can you forward the message to me? Jul 18, 2005

Hi Matthew,
This sounds familiar - can you please forward the message to me, together with the full IP headers (see pobox.com/fullheaders.mhtml for details)?

Thanks, Ralf

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:50
English to German
+ ...
Known to ProZ.com staff and moderators Jul 18, 2005

Hi again,
Having seen the body text of this message, I can confirm that we're aware of such schemes, and have blocked those responsible from using ProZ.com. Of course, any messages sent outside ProZ.com are beyond our control - in general, you should be vigilant: if something sounds to good to be true, that's usually because it is.

Cheers, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam e-mail - 'job offer' combined with CAT tools at big discounts

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs