Mobile menu

Learning Turkish as a Foreign Language
Thread poster: g_bahadir
Local time: 00:06
English to Turkish
+ ...
Aug 4, 2005

What are the reasons that motivate people to learn Turkish as a foreign language?Where and why did you start learning Turkish?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-08-05 01:15]

Direct link Reply with quote

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:06
Turkish to English
+ ...
I lived in Turkey Aug 5, 2005

My answer is a simple one: I learnt Turkish because I lived in Turkey for a long time. If you ask why I decided to work in Turkey, then there is also a very simple answer. I had the offer of a job in Turkey at a time (1987) when there was high unemployment in my own country of the UK and I was unable to find work there.
In short: instrumental motivation.

klghemil ghseil
Equatorial Guinea
Local time: 23:06
Berlin plus holiday Aug 13, 2005

I first started learning Turkish because of a relationship with a native speaker and the possibility of moving to the country, I carried on learning it because I live in Berlin where Turkish is the second language (majority language in my part) and I want to understand what people are saying around me and possibly add it to my vanilla EN/DE/FR to do integration work in Berlin. Is really rewarding to start to understand overheard conversations!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Learning Turkish as a Foreign Language

Advanced search

Translation news

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info » PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs