Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Do you work at home? Have children? How do you manage?
Thread poster: Piotr Turski
Piotr Turski
Piotr Turski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 09:24
Member (2003)
English to Polish
+ ...
Jun 28, 2002

Do you work at home? I do. Do you have children? I do. Though my almost-two-years-old daughter Basia is a good child (this photograph was taken about a year ago), I sometimes I end up working the night shift. How do you manage to work with your kids around?

Piotr

Here\'s an interesting link: http://homeworkingmom.com/kids.htm

Heather Starastin
Heather Starastin
Canada
Local time: 03:24
German to English
Good question... Jun 28, 2002

... and one to which I wouldn\'t mind a few answers, either! Thanks for the link, by the way - it looks really interesting.

I work from home at the same time as looking after my 15 month-old son, Felix. I have yet to find a way to be able to work in the absence of husband or babysitter - earlier Felix used to roar when I sat down at the PC, but didn\'t mind me sitting near him with the laptop. However, these days (since he can stand) that isn\'t possible, because he has to g
... See more
... and one to which I wouldn\'t mind a few answers, either! Thanks for the link, by the way - it looks really interesting.

I work from home at the same time as looking after my 15 month-old son, Felix. I have yet to find a way to be able to work in the absence of husband or babysitter - earlier Felix used to roar when I sat down at the PC, but didn\'t mind me sitting near him with the laptop. However, these days (since he can stand) that isn\'t possible, because he has to get his hands on everything - tries to pull the laptop off my lap, disappears with the cordless mouse if I turn my back for 2 minutes... And if I deposit him in the playpen and sit down at the PC, he screams his head off too.

It works for a short time if I\'m firm with him and tell him that Mummy has to work now, but obviously you can\'t expect hour-long cooperation from a child of that age...

So now I work during my husband\'s lunch break (he comes home for two hours), after he\'s finished work and after Felix has gone to bed. It isn\'t ideal, but I keep telling myself it\'ll get better in another 18 months when he can go to the Kindergarten...

Heather
Collapse

Johann Kristjansson
Johann Kristjansson  Identity Verified
Iceland
Local time: 07:24
English to Icelandic
My experience is similar. Jun 28, 2002

Although my wife is working at home as well, I often end up working in the evening and into the night. But I have the opportunity to rest well into the morning instead.

In my opinion, the privilege of being able to work at home, overrules the inconvenience of having the kids around you for the most part of the day.

I\'m happy.

Jóhann

Paul Roige (X)
Paul Roige (X)
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nothing is completely perfect... Jun 28, 2002

...but when my six-month old Elena gives us a vocal solo, man, that makes me work harder!! I also find her as the perfect excuse to give myself a break, which I often forget to take, good then for my health. Stop, take her and Goophy Bear, play for ten minutes and back to work. Used to be \"smoko\", now it\'s \"babyoco\"...

Daddy for ever

Andreia Silva
Andreia Silva  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:24
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Not so easy sometimes Jun 28, 2002

I have 2 daughters- one has 5 years old, Helena, and the other, Maria, has 9 months.

Helena now play with her toys alone or with a friend. Although she needs attention, she knows that I need to work. With Maria is a bit different. I still breastfeed her. So, I spent lots of time with her. But even though, I work 10 hours. How? My husband is always with me. He now just works half time. He has been a great help. He takes care of them, make the meals, go shopping, everyhting when I need t
... See more
I have 2 daughters- one has 5 years old, Helena, and the other, Maria, has 9 months.

Helena now play with her toys alone or with a friend. Although she needs attention, she knows that I need to work. With Maria is a bit different. I still breastfeed her. So, I spent lots of time with her. But even though, I work 10 hours. How? My husband is always with me. He now just works half time. He has been a great help. He takes care of them, make the meals, go shopping, everyhting when I need to work hard.

It is difficult to manage, but it is possible.

There is nothing better than to raise our children at home.

As I always say, they are my treasure.
Collapse

gdangelo
gdangelo
English to Spanish
YOU/IT CAN WORK! Jun 29, 2002

I have a 9 year old son and... just one advise: remember that YOU are in charge!

Sorry if it sounds strange but that is my experience. Before he went to day-care and kindergarten (2-3 years old) I used to work \"the night shift\" and it was very hard. Then I learned to do \"office work\" (bills, some research, phone calls, and all those little tasks that can be interrupted and resumed without much difficulty) while he was around. And I did the HEAVY concentration work while he rested (
... See more
I have a 9 year old son and... just one advise: remember that YOU are in charge!

Sorry if it sounds strange but that is my experience. Before he went to day-care and kindergarten (2-3 years old) I used to work \"the night shift\" and it was very hard. Then I learned to do \"office work\" (bills, some research, phone calls, and all those little tasks that can be interrupted and resumed without much difficulty) while he was around. And I did the HEAVY concentration work while he rested (naps, favorite TV show, my husband was around, visit to friends and whatever) and now that he is in school most of the day... well, we have both learned to enjoy my \"flexible\" schedule. He knows that some days I am just not available (though physically present) and that some days I can go to the early movies or to the zoo or just biking around with him ALSO because of my WORK.

It can be hard but IT CAN WORK and even if at times it seems impossible YOU CAN WORK! with your small kids around. I just love taking those 5 minutes in between phrases just to hug him, have a chocolate milk, walk the dog together...

Good luck!

Gabriela

Collapse

Guiri
Guiri
Spain
Spanish to English
Not too many problems Jun 29, 2002

but the biggest with my 18-year-old son is computer sharing, likely to get worse next year when he begins software engineering at college. \"nd computer now ordered - only solution.

Guiri
Guiri
Spain
Spanish to English
Not too many problems Jun 29, 2002

but the biggest with my 18-year-old son is computer sharing, likely to get worse next year when he begins software engineering at college. new computer now ordered - only solution.

Ann VDP
Ann VDP
French to Dutch
+ ...
Sometimes it's difficult, but it's worth the effort Jun 29, 2002

This thread is both interesting and amusing. It\'s good to know that there are other people who share the same problem/joy.

When I was pregnant of our eldest, it was pretty clear to me that I did not want to continue working long hours for a boss - since this would prevent me from seeing my baby grow & develop. So I decided to go back to my first love, which is translating. I was rather happy with my choice too... I would have the opportunity to be with my children, to see
... See more
This thread is both interesting and amusing. It\'s good to know that there are other people who share the same problem/joy.

When I was pregnant of our eldest, it was pretty clear to me that I did not want to continue working long hours for a boss - since this would prevent me from seeing my baby grow & develop. So I decided to go back to my first love, which is translating. I was rather happy with my choice too... I would have the opportunity to be with my children, to see them grow and develop... AND have a professionally fulfilling life as well.

In the first few months it is rather easy. Except for the breastfeeding and the diaper changing, I had plenty of time to develop my new business... But when the baby started walking, all of a sudden I did not seem to have enough feet, hands nor eyes to look after him and to get some work or administration done at the same time. Luckily my husband and I joined forces which enabled me to continue working for at least 6 to 10 hours a day.

In the mean time my eldest has started kindergarten and now there\'s our second baby - 20 months today - who takes a lot of looking after. By now, our routine has evolved to a nearly perfect level. When my husband\'s at work, I work when the baby\'s resting. When my husband\'s at home (he works in shifts), he looks after the kids. This gives me some \'time off\' to get some work done.

It is not easy, but it can be extremely fulfilling. I especially enjoy the \'slow\' days, when there\'s not much work, and I am able to play with them, to go out for a stroll or to go shopping together. There\'s no way I could ever be 100% housewife, but this combination work-family can be ideal - provided that you have an understanding partner who is willing to make some sacrifices as well. It\'s especially demanding when it is very busy and I hardly have the time to eat. At those days I am physically present, but I don\'t have the time to give them long hugs, to give them their bath, to play with them,... and this can be rather frustrating.

But all in all, I do think that this combination work-family is as good as it gets... Sometimes it\'s difficult, but it is definitely worth the effort. And when the kids will both go to school, we will have almost \'normal\' working days. I will most probably crack a bottle of champaign when our youngest starts kindergarten as well...

Kindest regards,

Anneken
Collapse

Silvana Parascandolo
Silvana Parascandolo  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
Sleepy Jun 29, 2002

I have two children, one is two and one is four. My working day (as a translator) starts at 9.00pm, when they are both in bed. I have tried various other solutions but they have all turned me into an irritable mother and/or a bad translator. Now I never try to work during the day (I check e-mails and jobs but I don\'t translate) and I am quite happy with my double life. It is true that sometimes I am very very sleepy but it is also true that the children are only little for a short time!
<
... See more
I have two children, one is two and one is four. My working day (as a translator) starts at 9.00pm, when they are both in bed. I have tried various other solutions but they have all turned me into an irritable mother and/or a bad translator. Now I never try to work during the day (I check e-mails and jobs but I don\'t translate) and I am quite happy with my double life. It is true that sometimes I am very very sleepy but it is also true that the children are only little for a short time!

Ciao!
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:24
German to English
+ ...
Stay at home dad Jun 29, 2002

The solution that worked out for us is that my husband is a stay-at-home dad. We cut our expenses wherever we can so he can look after our daughter while I work at home in a separate room. We eat meals together and, like others have mentioned, I use slow days to go out and have fun with them. She barges in sometimes because she likes to \"work\" with me, but the hassle has been minor. We love the benefits.

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:24
German to English
+ ...
Stay at home dad Jun 29, 2002

The solution that worked out for us is that my husband is a stay-at-home dad. We cut our expenses wherever we can so he can look after our daughter while I work at home in a separate room. We eat meals together and, like others have mentioned, I use slow days to go out and have fun with them. She barges in sometimes because she likes to \"work\" with me, but the hassle has been minor. We love the benefits.

mónica alfonso
mónica alfonso  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
Difficult but... Jun 29, 2002

it speaks very well about all of you, pals.

This is an ISSUE, bringing up children responsibly, I mean.

I have 5 (five, yes) children, but the youngest being 15, they do not cry any longer when Mummy is working (I\'ve come to think they prefer Mummy working rather than nagging

Well, no magic recipe for parenting, mind you. The only truth is that they sooner or late grouw
... See more
it speaks very well about all of you, pals.

This is an ISSUE, bringing up children responsibly, I mean.

I have 5 (five, yes) children, but the youngest being 15, they do not cry any longer when Mummy is working (I\'ve come to think they prefer Mummy working rather than nagging

Well, no magic recipe for parenting, mind you. The only truth is that they sooner or late grouw up and stop \'bothering\' while you work. Don\'t worry, this is a question that solves in due course.

Congratulations to everybody: if you are worried it is because you are good and caring parents.

Mónica

Collapse

Joeri Van Liefferinge
Joeri Van Liefferinge  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Even better: both stay at home! ;) Jun 29, 2002

My wife quit her job to raise our child (or hopefully in the future: children), so she\'s home all the time. We met in school, where we were both studying to be a translator. She does not work as a translator, but she proofreads my translations, which has nothing but advantages: (1) I can spend more time with our little son and (2) my texts are proofread by a second person, which is good for the quality of my (our) work.

So, our children have and will have both of their parents home al
... See more
My wife quit her job to raise our child (or hopefully in the future: children), so she\'s home all the time. We met in school, where we were both studying to be a translator. She does not work as a translator, but she proofreads my translations, which has nothing but advantages: (1) I can spend more time with our little son and (2) my texts are proofread by a second person, which is good for the quality of my (our) work.

So, our children have and will have both of their parents home all the time (boy, are they gonna hate us once they reach puberty ), it\'s good for the quality of my/our work and we are both happy that we don\'t have to get up at six o\'clock in the morning and waste three hours in traffic every day. I cannot but admit it: we\'re a very happy family!
Collapse

Jessica Klingberg
Jessica Klingberg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:24
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Making It Work Jun 29, 2002

Yup, I\'m also a stay-at-home mom and freelance translator. There is no chance in heck I could ever get any work done while my son is around (he\'s 21 months old). He wants constant attention, and if I even go near the computer he immediately starts climbing on my lap, thinking we\'re going to play with a CD-ROM, he grabs the mouse, punches the keys on the keyboard, etc. The only way I have been able to make this work is to put him in a Mom\'s Day Out program (I\'m in Florida, don\'t know if th... See more
Yup, I\'m also a stay-at-home mom and freelance translator. There is no chance in heck I could ever get any work done while my son is around (he\'s 21 months old). He wants constant attention, and if I even go near the computer he immediately starts climbing on my lap, thinking we\'re going to play with a CD-ROM, he grabs the mouse, punches the keys on the keyboard, etc. The only way I have been able to make this work is to put him in a Mom\'s Day Out program (I\'m in Florida, don\'t know if they have these programs anywhere else) two mornings a week. This program gives me a few hours to myself (to work) and is not prohibitively expensive like regular daycare. I\'m able to work while he\'s in school and after I pick him up, when he takes his naps.

Still, sometimes I\'ve exhausted all my hours working and I am STILL not done. So I also have to put in some late nights (and getting up the next morning at 7 is murder!) My husband also helps out on the weekends by taking my son to the park for a couple of hours so I can continue to do work.

It\'s not easy doing this, but I think it is easier (at least for me) than going to work 40+ hours a week in an office, and cramming quality time with my son in the evenings when I am tired.

In a sort of fraternizing way I\'m glad to hear there are other fellow translators going through the same stuff!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you work at home? Have children? How do you manage?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »