https://www.proz.com/forum/being_independent/38027-promotional_christmas_gifts.html

promotional Christmas gifts
Thread poster: Lincy Luyten
Lincy Luyten
Lincy Luyten  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:40
French to Flemish
+ ...
Oct 18, 2005

Hey,
I wonder if it is common to send promotional Christmas gifts to clients and agencies you work for as a freelance translator or do you just send a card?
I am not sure whether it is useful to send gifts and, if so, what do you send? Do you send gifts with your business name on it or wine?
Thank you for answering.

Aleksandra Kwasnik
Aleksandra Kwasnik  Identity Verified
Germany
Polish to German
+ ...
Another X-Mas-Thread Oct 18, 2005

Hi Lincy,
this is a good question, I'm also starting to think about it
See also this thread: http://www.proz.com/post/198189.

[Edited at 2005-10-18 19:29]

Michele Johnson
Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Scrooge perspective :( Oct 18, 2005

I'm going to go out on a limb here: No I don't think it's common, nor do I think it's particularly desirable or even well-received. Although I'm not even an egency, you can't imagine the kind of crap I've received, i.e. standing in line for an hour at the post office at xmas to pick up.... *another* calendar! That didn't fit in my regular mailbox! Great!

I think a sincere, hand-written holiday card makes a much better impression (and is a much better reminder of your existence) tha
... See more
I'm going to go out on a limb here: No I don't think it's common, nor do I think it's particularly desirable or even well-received. Although I'm not even an egency, you can't imagine the kind of crap I've received, i.e. standing in line for an hour at the post office at xmas to pick up.... *another* calendar! That didn't fit in my regular mailbox! Great!

I think a sincere, hand-written holiday card makes a much better impression (and is a much better reminder of your existence) than a keychain, a dayplanner, etc. I would be sure to be generic enough, i.e. not everyone celebrates Christmas.

I have in the past ordered customized holiday cards with my business name printed inside, to which I typically add a hand-written personalized note. You can easily order these online; email me for details if interested.
Collapse

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:40
German to English
+ ...
I agree with Michele! Oct 18, 2005

[quote]Michele Johnson wrote:

I'm going to go out on a limb here: No I don't think it's common, nor do I think it's particularly desirable or even well-received.

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Another thread Oct 18, 2005

Client gift ideas

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:40
German to English
At most, send out holiday cards Oct 19, 2005

You can buy UNICEF cards relatively cheaply. Presents can get complicated and expensive.

AWa (X)
AWa (X)
English to German
+ ...
Gifts must not be expensive Oct 19, 2005

Kevin Fulton wrote:

You can buy UNICEF cards relatively cheaply. Presents can get complicated and expensive.

I send gifts to my direct customers, but they're not that expensive: I send truffles made at a Cafe in town. The name the truffles are sold under includes the name of the town I live in. I'm sure the clients don't have any other contacts here, so they will connect the name with my business.
I'm even contemplating using cards with a view of the town for the season's greetings. This way, clients can recognize the gifts as a sort of "my trademark" (unless they think "Oh, no, truffles again!") and I'm promoting my hometown.

Julie Allison
Julie Allison  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
My opinion is cards are fine for clients Nov 3, 2005

I don't believe it to be commonplace to send gifts etc to agencies. However, if you have direct clients, such as local business and business networking contacts, then it is quite usual to send a Christmas card with your business name on it. Corporate gifts - possibly but, personally, they would have to be a very good client before I spend too much money.
A card is fine and it keeps your name in front of the client's eyes and makes them feel valued. Just another way of keeping in touch and
... See more
I don't believe it to be commonplace to send gifts etc to agencies. However, if you have direct clients, such as local business and business networking contacts, then it is quite usual to send a Christmas card with your business name on it. Corporate gifts - possibly but, personally, they would have to be a very good client before I spend too much money.
A card is fine and it keeps your name in front of the client's eyes and makes them feel valued. Just another way of keeping in touch and making sure your clients and potential clients don't forget you and know who to call when they require the services you offer.
Collapse

wiangube
wiangube
Local time: 22:40
English to Spanish
It's possible Dec 6, 2007

Lincy Luyten wrote:

Hey,
I wonder if it is common to send promotional Christmas gifts to clients and agencies you work for as a freelance translator or do you just send a card?
I am not sure whether it is useful to send gifts and, if so, what do you send? Do you send gifts with your business name on it or wine?
Thank you for answering.

I'm also a freelancer, and I use to give corporate gifts. The only issue is the budget, so you should do a careful and comprehensive research to select good cheap items. I check this site very often:

http://www.corporategift.com/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

promotional Christmas gifts

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »