Mobile menu

which statute for would-be freelancer starting with few resources?
Thread poster: Glen McCulley

Glen McCulley
Local time: 17:18
French to English
+ ...
Jul 16, 2002

I\'m British living in France, about to (finally!) set myself up as a freelance translator.

Major worry: I\'m not starting rich, far from it (assedic/unemployment money)... so how can i start without potentially falling prey to no work/money in yet and no other resources, i.e. unemployment money (which, I imagine, will be stopped as soon as I get a siret number). As I\'m British, people are telling me to set the business up as if I were in England, that way tax etc. is lighter, it\'s uncomplicated, etc. etc., but I find it difficult to believe that the fisc in France will let you bill French companies and spend your money in France while paying taxes to England!

Thanks in advance for your welcome advice...

Direct link Reply with quote

Sara Freitas
France
French to English
Get informed! Jul 16, 2002

Before doing anything drastic like setting yourself up as a small business, get some good information from the French side (assedic and l\'hotel des impots in your town). See the following link for starters:

http://vosquestions.service-public.fr/fiche/827.htm

I am a US citizen in the same situation, and I inquired at the hotel des impots about income earned as a freelancer in the US...income earned abroad is subject to French income tax, but not \"charges sociales\" if you can prove you paid them in the source country. You also get a tax credit in France for any income tax paid in the source country. The general rule seems to be that the \"source\" of the income for tax purposes is where you are physically when you do the work. It would be good if you could get similar info from the UK before weighing your options. In France, you can also use a \"societe de portage\" for billing freelance work if you are not ready to go fully independent. They take care of \"charges sociales\" and VAT, for a smallish fee. Good luck!!

alx  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:18
English to French
+ ...
"only 5% of free resources are used by entrepreneurs"... Jul 16, 2002

...according to the Chambre du Commerce & de l\'Industrie, meaning that if you get the right info, it\'s actually not that complicated to set up a business in France. the CCI is the first step, then the Direction Departementale du Travail where you can fill in a \"Dossier Accre\" (Aide a la creation d\'entreprise pour les beneficiaires des Assedic): you can keep your benefits and start making a living from your linguistic activity.

If you are already equipped for work, you do need that much money to make the biz run. My advice is to write a business plan first so that you can convince others of how professional you are, when you need them.

Do not hesitate to contact me for help.

C Greene  Identity Verified
Partial member
English to French
+ ...
Also try the "Régime Spécial BNC" Jul 17, 2002

Hello Glen,

If you want to set up an enterprise, the Chambre du Commerce is the right place but, why not start as a simple freelancer? It\'s much easier and your local URSSAF office will give you all the details; additionally, if your turnover does not exceed Euros 27,000, you can benefit from the \"Régime Spécial BNC\" which entails minimum paperwork, simplified tax declaration, automatic 35% tax allowance and, if business were to start rather slowly, you could be exempt from paying your \"Cotisations URSSAF\" for a period of 2 years.

This could be the simplest solution to start with - you can always change your \'status\' later on.

HTH

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

which statute for would-be freelancer starting with few resources?

Advanced search

Translation news

Quiick
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs