Thread poster: Rick Henry
Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:20
Italian to English
+ ...
Jul 16, 2002

I have a situation that I can\'t seem to resolve regarding one agency in Italy. I\'m owed for two jobs that are seriously past due and I\'m not getting any response at all from the agency in question. I\'d be interested in hearing any success stories (or failures, for that matter) on collecting past due bills in other countries. Believe me, if I were physically there, I\'d show up on their doorstep. But as it stands, since I can\'t seem to get any response from them (and I know they\'re stil... See more
I have a situation that I can\'t seem to resolve regarding one agency in Italy. I\'m owed for two jobs that are seriously past due and I\'m not getting any response at all from the agency in question. I\'d be interested in hearing any success stories (or failures, for that matter) on collecting past due bills in other countries. Believe me, if I were physically there, I\'d show up on their doorstep. But as it stands, since I can\'t seem to get any response from them (and I know they\'re still in business), I\'m at a loss as to what else to do.

Thanks for any suggestions.

R.

==
Collapse

Valeria Verona
Valeria Verona  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 17:20
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Have you tried phoning them? Jul 16, 2002

Do you have any contact in Italy to help you?

It\'s a very difficult situation. My suggestion? Don\'t give up easily and keep being on their back!!

Asking for help here is a good move, too.

Good luck

Valeria

Erika Pavelka (X)
Erika Pavelka (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
My experience Jul 16, 2002

Hi Rick,

It\'s always frustrating to be in such a situation. When you say that you aren\'t getting any response from them, I assume you mean that they haven\'t bothered to answer your e-mails/phone calls.

What I\'ve done in the past for really outstanding invoices is one of two things, depending on the client:

1. (usually for direct client) Send them a fax stating that they have 10 days to pay invoices X, Y and Z in full, and if they
... See more
Hi Rick,

It\'s always frustrating to be in such a situation. When you say that you aren\'t getting any response from them, I assume you mean that they haven\'t bothered to answer your e-mails/phone calls.

What I\'ve done in the past for really outstanding invoices is one of two things, depending on the client:

1. (usually for direct client) Send them a fax stating that they have 10 days to pay invoices X, Y and Z in full, and if they fail to do so, you will have to take appropriate measures.

2. (works well for agencies) Send them a fax stating that you will post their name, full contact info and the circumstances of the situation on translation forums A and B, newsgroups C and D, mailing lists E, F and G (you get the drift ). Agencies that use the services of many translators abroad don\'t want anything bad about them to get out on the Net.

Good luck and let us know what happens!

Erika

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-16 18:22 ]
Collapse

Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:20
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for the replies... Jul 16, 2002

Thanks for the replies. I\'ve already actually put them on a couple of forums and mailing lists. I normally don\'t like doing that sort of thing, but... when I initially started \"reminding\" them of the past due invoices, I was pretty much (well, OK, outright) lied to concerning the payment. I was told that they\'d already sent the first payment via wire transfer to my bank. When I asked for them to send anything that might help me resolve the problem with my bank is when the problem really... See more
Thanks for the replies. I\'ve already actually put them on a couple of forums and mailing lists. I normally don\'t like doing that sort of thing, but... when I initially started \"reminding\" them of the past due invoices, I was pretty much (well, OK, outright) lied to concerning the payment. I was told that they\'d already sent the first payment via wire transfer to my bank. When I asked for them to send anything that might help me resolve the problem with my bank is when the problem really started. They wouldn\'t provide anything, and effectively stopped communication. This was months ago, and any communication I now send is ignored. I know they receive the emails... I get no bounced mail from them. Truthfully, it\'s not all that much money (less than 1K), but it really burns me that they do this. Just looking on our own Blue Board shows how they\'ve consistently done this to other translators as well. I don\'t know how they\'ve managed to stay in business with the kind of reputation they\'ve earned (a reputation I was unaware of when I accepted the job, obviously).

Thanks for at least letting me blow off a little steam.

Quote:

On 2002-07-16 18:21, epavelka wrote:

2. (works well for agencies) Send them a fax stating that you will post their name, full contact info and the circumstances of the situation on translation forums A and B, newsgroups C and D, mailing lists E, F and G (you get the drift ). Agencies that use the services of many translators abroad don\'t want anything bad about them to get out on the Net.

Good luck and let us know what happens!

Collapse

Carla Trapani
Carla Trapani
Local time: 23:20
English to Italian
+ ...
from Italy... Jul 17, 2002

Luckily... I only had two problems of this kind with an happy end, even though after some months... I just kept on bothering them until they have paid.

If the agency is in Italy.. I\'m in Italy... If there is anything I can do for you... just ask

Good luck!

Carla

Tenten D
Tenten D  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:20
English to Japanese
+ ...
I am also trying to chase up >>Italian agancy Jul 25, 2002

I wonder if it\'s the same agency or not.

Mine is so far 1 month due. (job was done in the beginning of June)

I sent an invoice to them in the middle of June, asking which way she would like to pay (cheque or bank transfer) and got a reply immidiately, \'ok, money is on its way\'. She didn\'t mention how she\'ll pay,

so I first assumed she would pay via Paypal.

But after 3 wks, no money, no mails.

So I am now chasing up, sending a mail with my b
... See more

I sent an invoice to them in the middle of June, asking which way she would like to pay (cheque or bank transfer) and got a reply immidiately, \'ok, money is on its way\'. She didn\'t mention how she\'ll pay,

so I first assumed she would pay via Paypal.

But after 3 wks, no money, no mails.

So I am now chasing up, sending a mail with my bank detail. So far no reply.

In BlueBoard, some said they weren\'t paid yet, some said it was paid.

mmmmm...

Collapse

Tenten D
Tenten D  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:20
English to Japanese
+ ...
Have you not been paid yet? Aug 21, 2002

I got paid after two months.

I kept e-mailing to them with my Brit

Bank account and other details.

And at last, got a letter from my bank

telling me that I got Euro payment.

What a relief.

Quote:

On 2002-07-25 09:11, Tenten D wrote:

Mine is so far 1 month due. (job was done in the beginning of June)... See more
I got paid after two months.

I kept e-mailing to them with my Brit

Bank account and other details.

And at last, got a letter from my bank

telling me that I got Euro payment.

What a relief.

Quote:

On 2002-07-25 09:11, Tenten D wrote:

Collapse

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
Rick, Aug 22, 2002

If you know or can figure out who their client is, tell them you will contact the client directly if they don\'t pay by such and such a date.

Worked like a charm for me with a German agency!

I assume this is the first time you\'ve worked for them?

Good luck,

Trudy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Collection procedures/ideas...I\'m owed by an agency in Italy

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »