*** from *** not paying invoices (staff: \"Use the Blue Board\")
Thread poster: Eva G. Breust
Eva G. Breust
Eva G. Breust
Germany
Local time: 21:41
English to German
+ ...
Jul 17, 2002

What can we do if agencies in non-EU-countries are not paying? Is there some collector we can tell to pass by and get the money for us?

This is also a warning for collegues, not to accept work for these people.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Use the Blue Board Jul 17, 2002

Please note that there is a special functional area on the site (use the \'Agency ratings\' link) where you can inquire about agencies, and post your own assessment. (The agency you mentioned is not listed there.)

On the \"Blue Board\" page, you will also find links to two mailing lists where you can share your experience.

Eva G. Breust
Eva G. Breust
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Jul 17, 2002

already done.

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Always tricky Jul 17, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-07-17 09:02, Eva Breust wrote:

What can we do if agencies in non-EU-countries are not paying? Is there some collector we can tell to pass by and get the money for us?

I had a similar very bad experience with a Czech company about 16 months ago; not really an agency, but they were the ... See more
Quote:

On 2002-07-17 09:02, Eva Breust wrote:

I had a similar very bad experience with a Czech company about 16 months ago; not really an agency, but they were the official outsourcers of a 8.000 UK £ job.

I know they got paid in full by the client (he informed me about this), but they never bothered to answer anyone or anything.

Have done anything possible, from lawyers to collection agencies, to sending someone there, and I did inform the Czech tax authorities in the end, as the amount they owed 6 translators (including me) was substantial.

Their company is no longer in existence (as far as I know).

Consider using the services of Intrum Justitia at http://www.intrum.com

They bought the collection activities of Dun & Bradstreet in the Czech Republic.

If Etrans is a normally listed company and you have substantial proof (most important: a Purchase Order), you should be successful. Unless they filed for bankrupcy, of course, or fled the country.

Such things do happen everywhere, unfortunately.

Another company (BTS Inc - US based) filed for bankrupcy only two weeks after I submitted a translation job. They were certainly aware of their terrible financial situation at that time, never told me anything and there was no way to know beforehand.

None of the available payment practices lists had any worrying info about this company, until it was too late.

In short, if a company doesn\'t pay, you should do whatever you can, but in the end don\'t be disappointed if all your efforts prove(d) useless.

Sometimes you may be lucky: about 6 years ago, an agency paid up after about one year, totally unexpected.

\'Temporary cash flow problems\' they called it.

Good luck anyway.

[addsig] ▲ Collapse

Eva G. Breust
Eva G. Breust
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
first bad experience Jul 17, 2002

Thanks for your details, I will find out about the web address you gave me.

You are right, things like that happen and I do about 50% of my work via Internet with people I have never seen and probably never will and generally people are very serious and professional.

TService (X)
TService (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
To Ralf Lemster... Jul 17, 2002

Sure there is a special forum for complaining about problems with agencies.

I tried it - it\'s quite impossible to find the information you\'re seeking.

I find it a immense better idea to post that kind of warnings in the present form - until the blueboard is of real help.

Regards;

Joern.

Egmont
Egmont
Spain
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
PAYMENT IN ADVANCE Jul 17, 2002

That could be the solution...
[addsig]

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 15:41
SITE FOUNDER
Use the Blue Board (Agency Rating on the main menu) Jul 17, 2002

See the FAQ for an explanation of why we must limit this type of discussion to the Blue Board.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 15:41
SITE FOUNDER
We are not permitting postings here. Jul 17, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-07-17 13:44, TService wrote:

I find it a immense better idea to post that kind of warnings in the present form - until the blueboard is of real help.

The Blue Board is not perfect, but neither is i... See more
Quote:

On 2002-07-17 13:44, TService wrote:

The Blue Board is not perfect, but neither is it as useless as you suggest. If you have ideas for improvement, we will implement them.

We are not able to permit payment practices postings here, for reasons explained in the FAQ. ▲ Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

*** from *** not paying invoices (staff: \"Use the Blue Board\")

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »