Mobile menu

GEOC-IT certificate - A Scam?
Thread poster: Hans-Henning Judek

Hans-Henning Judek  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:36
German to English
+ ...
Jul 29, 2002

I bumped into a very weird job offer on PROZ.

http://www.proz.com/job?id=24518

The conditions are almost to good to be true, and my basic philosophy in business is \"If somethings seems to be too good to be true, it usually IS\". So I poked a bit around.

First thing that makes me suspicious is that they require a certificate I and obviously nobody else has ever heard of (a discussion is ongoing in the French section, but I think this concerns everyone of us), the \"GEOC-IT Certificate\".

The website, they referred to, has been \"knit with hot needles\", meaning it is very basic. All the links are dead or leading back to the index page. So I wanted to find out, who the \"Commission\" is that will judge my abilities. No reference, no names, nothing.

Second this certificate will be granted by \"a group of translation agencies\". Who for heavens sake is giving these guys the authority, to perform these tests - and ask money for it?

Third, the outsourcer is using a public account, which is almost immediately flashing red lights. I can tell, because my ADSL provider is Yahoo Broadband in Japan, and my e-mail account is \"****@yahoo.co.jp\". Creates a lot of problems for me.

And last not least, the outsourcer FUZIA LTD. is supposed to be located in Japan - translating from German into Spanish. What a strange combination for this country. It is not listed on the Internet in Japan, neither in roman characters nor in Japanese (I checked Katakana and tried some Kanji combinations as well).

IMHO this smells very much like a scam. They are asking to pay $17 (or EUR 20) via PAYPAL. It has been widely discussed that the buyer of a service has little or no protection with PAYPAL, so almost no chance to get this money back, in case anything goes wrong.

The person asks for offers in 20 language pairs. With such juicy conditions, they are probably able to make a couple of thousand dollars quite fast.

Before I make my final judgement, I would like to ask the community if anybody has ever heard of this organization, and what your opinion is. Most probably this is a case for Henry to take care of, whom I have informed as well.

Direct link Reply with quote

Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 13:36
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
IMHO it's a new kind of Scam Jul 29, 2002

It seems in this case they try to make some money not from non-payment but simply from selling those \"certificates\".

The following line from their posting made me sure:

\"Requirements:

GEOC-IT certificate(Please only GEOC-IT from

http://www.geocities.com/geoc_it_cert/

Other versions of GEOC-IT will not be considered\"

Why just this certificate? The most reputable one?

We had a similar posting for the English>Russian pair. Now I can\'t find it as it has disappeared somewhere. But I remember it was said in it:

\"Australian version of GEOC-IT will not be considered\"

Rivals in fraud ?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-29 13:21 ]

Valeria Verona  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 07:36
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hans: Jul 29, 2002

I also saw the offer and the site and got the same impression as you did... mmmm... it doesn\'t sound good. But I know nothing. It\'s just intuition.

I\'d love to hear other peers\' opinions.

Greetings from Buenos Aires.

Valeria

Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 12:36
German to Romanian
+ ...
It looks indeed very fishy Jul 29, 2002

I was thinking the same as you.

I have dicussed such issues with my (non-translator) boyfriend.

He said, if a company is going to pull a scam, why not try to catch the big fish? And he is perfectly right.

Let\'s say, a company intends to get a job done without having the intention to pay. So then why bother to get a 0.01 translator, when they could get a 0.20 translator (this is all just hypothetical, for the sake of the example). So if they don\'t intend to pay anyway, at least they get a very good translator (maybe one who hasn\'t been on the Internet long enough, to know that there are unserious companies on the net.)

So if Fuzia doesn\'t intend to pay, at least they get a very good translation for free, not just some cheap translation.

I am sorry if I wasn\'t very clear or if I repeated myself, but I am not the best person to explain things.

xxxPaul Roige
Spain
Local time: 12:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
¿? Jul 30, 2002

Hi, this is the response I got from my enquiry to Geoc IT:

\"Dear Sir,

Thank you for your request.

The GEOC-IT certificate was founded by GEO, a group of

translation agencies.

Its purpose is to select highly skilled freelance

translators for teleworking.

Candidates are expected to:

1.) have at least 2 years of translation

experience

OR

an excellent education

OR

excellent recommendations from clients

2.) be available at least 200 days per year

for translation work

3.) have access to the PAYPAL payment system

Please note that the HS commission will carefully

validate all data provided in applications. The

commission will contact some of the organizations

and persons indicated in the applications.

Applications for the HS certificate must

include:

1.) A free-text application form. Format:

Microsoft Word file. The following information

is required: name,source language, target language,

mother tongue, date of birth, address, e-mail,

translation experience, education, academic

degree, date of application.

2.) A CV. Format: Microsoft Word file.

3.) A list of university certificates held

(including ID numbers)

Format: Microsoft Word file.

4.) Recommendations (if applicable).

Format: Microsoft Word files, must include

e-mail or phone of recommender

5.) The application fee (20 EUR or 17 USD)

Application fees of unsuccessful applications

will be returned to applicants. The application

fee must be transferred via PAYPAL to

geoc_it_cert@email.com

Please send your application via email to

geoc_it_cert@email.com

Remember to attach all necessary files.

Kind regards,

GEOC-IT Team\"

That I know of, there is no website with info about them. So far, I haven\'t been able to find out anything else about this \"group of agencies\".

This raises doubts. If by any chance the GEOC-IT Team happens to read this, why please don\'t introduce yourselves in ProZ ? Otherwise, no deal. Not throwing myne monies into the void, would you?

Tara

Alexandru Pojoga
Romania
Local time: 13:36
Japanese to English
+ ...
It's a scam. Aug 11, 2002

End of story.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

GEOC-IT certificate - A Scam?

Advanced search

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs