https://www.proz.com/forum/being_independent/4277-what_is_a_canadian_international_postal_money_order_looking_like_please.html

What is a Canadian international postal money order looking like, please?
Thread poster: fcl
fcl
fcl
France
Local time: 15:28
German to French
+ ...
Aug 1, 2002

Hello,

I got from a Canadian client a money order I could not cash in France. I can not find the word \"international\" anywhere on the money order form I got and I suspect this to be a home money order.

Could someone give me a pointer to a picture of such an order or tell me if \"international\" is supposed to be specified somewhere on it.

Thank you in advance,

Francois

Rishi Miranhshah
Rishi Miranhshah  Identity Verified
Canada
English to Punjabi
+ ...
Yes, it's supposed to be Aug 2, 2002

Hi Francois,

Just got an International MO made, it does have the words, quite bold, \"INTERNATIONAL MONEY ORDER\".

All best...

fcl
fcl
France
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Rishi and one more question Aug 3, 2002

Hello Rishi and thank you for your answer.

Now my problem is to figure out if this first time client really made an error or if he is a bad payer. One thing that puzzles me is that at the Post Office they should have seen that destinatary was in Europe and MO could not be cashed, right? So is it possible to just get blanks MO forms, fill them in and send them in an enveloppe at no costs, just the stamp? Or did my client had to actually pay the amount to the Post office and e
... See more
Hello Rishi and thank you for your answer.

Now my problem is to figure out if this first time client really made an error or if he is a bad payer. One thing that puzzles me is that at the Post Office they should have seen that destinatary was in Europe and MO could not be cashed, right? So is it possible to just get blanks MO forms, fill them in and send them in an enveloppe at no costs, just the stamp? Or did my client had to actually pay the amount to the Post office and error was both his and the office clerk\'s?

TIA,

Francois
Collapse

Erika Pavelka (X)
Erika Pavelka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:28
French to English
Perhaps just an honest mistake Aug 6, 2002

Hi François,

Your client may have made an honest mistake. Perhaps they don\'t even know that international money orders exist, so they just asked for a \"regular\" money order at the post office.

Can you not write to your client and explain the situation?

Good luck,

Erika

fcl
fcl
France
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Having my doubts Aug 19, 2002

Well Erika, explaining this and sending back the MO is what I have done, of course. Now, it seems that it takes them forever to send me back anything cashable. This is why I would like to know if blank forms are freely available or if they actually had to pay the full amount to get it.

TIA,

Francois

Midori Wilson
Midori Wilson  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 22:28
English to Japanese
+ ...
Canadian Money Order Aug 19, 2002

Hi Francois,

I bought a MO for US a while ago from a Canadian post office, and if I remember correctly, they asked me how much in US I wanted to send, and they put in the amount into their computer system and print the money order with the amount in US. So, I would imagine they would do the same for other countries. The only thing I had to add was the name of the receiptor. Like I said, it was a while ago, so it MIGHT have changed,but that\'s what happened to me. HTH

fcl
fcl
France
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK, just one more bad payer! Aug 31, 2002

Thank you to those who answered.

Francois

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is a Canadian international postal money order looking like, please?

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »