Mrudula Tambe
Mrudula Tambe  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 16:19
English to Marathi
+ ...
In memoriam
Feb 22, 2006

As a part of the translator community I have type for many hours sitting in the chair. What I observe is that my chair inclination is wrong. It is backward as an 'easy-chair' instead of being straight. So I made necessory changes in my sitting arrangement. Have you people thought about it atleast once in a while?

Veronika Hansova
Veronika Hansova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 12:49
Member (2006)
English to Czech
+ ...
Physical exercise, yoga, whatever, just move!!! Mar 4, 2006

Sure I did. I used to have terrible problems with my back. I used do yoga before I started my translation career (:-))) and now humble got to it. So I do some yoga every day, stretching or even doing some physical exercising just to straighten my back, get tired physically (having problems falling aspeel in the evening when I am tired mentally but not physically). Regarding my chair - it is profiled and shaped and somewhat rocking.
I would definitely recommend you some exercising.
... See more
Sure I did. I used to have terrible problems with my back. I used do yoga before I started my translation career (:-))) and now humble got to it. So I do some yoga every day, stretching or even doing some physical exercising just to straighten my back, get tired physically (having problems falling aspeel in the evening when I am tired mentally but not physically). Regarding my chair - it is profiled and shaped and somewhat rocking.
I would definitely recommend you some exercising.
Good luck.
Collapse

Claudia Krysztofiak
Claudia Krysztofiak  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Tai Chi!!! :-) Mar 4, 2006

Ha, I did the one and only right thing: I married a Tai Chi trainer and everytime he sees me sitting in my chair working I get some kind and loving remark as e.g.: Sit straight! Drop your shoulders! Stretch your neck! Breath deeply!

Whenever I find the time between two assignments I can visit the training grounds, so I almost have sort of a social life.

I can only recommend this course of action: Go hunt
... See more
Ha, I did the one and only right thing: I married a Tai Chi trainer and everytime he sees me sitting in my chair working I get some kind and loving remark as e.g.: Sit straight! Drop your shoulders! Stretch your neck! Breath deeply!

Whenever I find the time between two assignments I can visit the training grounds, so I almost have sort of a social life.

I can only recommend this course of action: Go hunt yourself an unmarried Tai Chi trainer!

Have to stop now and get my back straight.
Collapse

Ghislaine CATHENOD
Ghislaine CATHENOD  Identity Verified
English to French
Exercice !!! Mar 9, 2006

http://www.backrelief.ca/ gives some simple exercices that are very easy et really helpfull for back /neck/ shoulder ... pains.

But I think I'm also going to buy a new ergonomic keyboard.

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Very aware of the problem Mar 16, 2006

When I worked as a nursing auxiliary I became very aware of how much damage we do to our backs on a daily basis - sitting in a poor position, lifting things incorrectly, making incorrect movements. Lots of little things. Exercise and awareness of the problem is definitely the way to go. And Pilates, maybe....

[Edited at 2006-03-16 20:02]

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:49
German to English
+ ...
Chiropractic Mar 17, 2006

I have had problems with my shoulders and neck, but go to a chiropractor once a month, which really helps.

CathyFS
CathyFS  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:49
German to English
+ ...
I use a kneeler chair Mar 18, 2006

I bought a neeler chair so that most of the weight is taken off my back. They take a few weeks to get used to (at least, in my case), but it realyl is a fantastic chair. And it ony cost me 80 euro. I don't use it all the time though - I alternate between that and a standard kitchen chair, which has a special back support attached to it. I originally bought the back support insertion for my car, but now that I work from home I use it at my PC instead. I also go for physiotherapy every so often ju... See more
I bought a neeler chair so that most of the weight is taken off my back. They take a few weeks to get used to (at least, in my case), but it realyl is a fantastic chair. And it ony cost me 80 euro. I don't use it all the time though - I alternate between that and a standard kitchen chair, which has a special back support attached to it. I originally bought the back support insertion for my car, but now that I work from home I use it at my PC instead. I also go for physiotherapy every so often just to keep my back and neck in check, I find it really beneficial.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much do you care about your spine?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »