Mobile menu

How to charge for working in-house a few days a week?
Thread poster: Joeri Van Liefferinge

Joeri Van Liefferinge  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 19:16
English to Dutch
+ ...
Aug 8, 2002

Hi everyone

A client of mine asked me if I would be interested in working in-house for them, one or two days a week, for the next eight months. The head of the translation department is going on maternity leave and they would like to hire me to replace her.

I would be interested, but as this is the first time I got such a request, I was wondering how to charge for this.

The most logical thing would be (1) to charge by the hour or (2) per day and agree on a minimum and a maximum number of hours per day.

I am inclined to set a price per 8-hour day, but should I, in that case, start counting when I leave home and stop counting when I return, or should I only count the hours I spend with the client? If the client was only ten minutes away, I wouldn\'t bother, but with this client, I would lose two hours per day in the car or the train, so I guess it\'s worth talking about.

Thanks in advance for everyone who can help me here!

Joeri

Direct link Reply with quote

Erika Pavelka  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:16
French to English
Per-day rate Aug 8, 2002

My significant other, also a translator, is working in-house at a client\'s office this week.

He is being paid a set amount per day (based on 8 hours), which does not include transportation (about 30 minutes with subway and walking each way).

In your case, I think it would only be fair to add extra to the amount for transportation, considering the distance you have to travel.

I hope that helps a bit,

Erika

Jeremy Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:16
French to English
+ ...
Maybe not what you want to hear, but... Aug 8, 2002

My first thought is that if you work in a company, you get paid for the time that you (should) spend working, ie: time spent in the office.

However, you may be eligible for travel compensation. Here in Paris, I get half of my public transport costs refunded by my company, so it would be worth raising the issue with the employer.

Good luck.

Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:16
English to Finnish
+ ...
Something to think about... Aug 8, 2002

Have you thought of how it would affect the work coming from your other clients, if you commit yourself to working on-site for one client for as long as eight months? I would think it would be very difficult for you to get involved in any bigger projects from other clients unless you are willing to work in the evenings + weekend.

If you decide to accept the offer, I think you should charge for the travelling. Whenever I work on-site at a client I charge per hour.

Good luck.

Minna

Uwe Schwenk
Local time: 12:16
English to German
Just one additional note Aug 8, 2002

When you are working for a certain amount of time 1 or 2 days a week as you stated over a longer period of time, you want to make sure on whether you will be a contractor or whether you are counted as an employee, because that can have some implications for social security, insurance, Taxes, etc.

You defintely want to check into this.

HTH

Uwe

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-08 19:48 ]

xxxNermina
English to Bosnian
+ ...
hourly + expenses Aug 9, 2002

that\'s how i\'ve done it and it worked great. sometimes i\'d spend more than 8 hours, sometimes less, but you get fairly reimbursed. i would charge travel expenses, such as gas mileage or public transportation costs, because you\'re not a full-time employee, and as a contractor you should have the right to payment of such expenses.

nermina

Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:16
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
a base salary Aug 9, 2002

I have worked three different times as an in-house translator and two of these times I got paid a base salary and they even paid for a hotel room, since it would be really far for me to travel there and also paid for food expenses. I was working very long hours though (12-16 hrs per day) and this was for a very special project.

The other time I only got paid a base salary and no travel, hotel or food expenses. I guess it is different all the time. I guess you can ask whatever works best for you.

Monika Martens
Italian to Albanian
+ ...
compensation for transportation Aug 9, 2002

That\'s what my employer calls the extra payment I get for my 1 hour and 30 minutes a day I spend driving to my work and back home.

It\'s a bit less than what I get per hour of translation and linguistic coordiantion, but it covers my fuel expenses and a part of my frustration when I am blocked in the traffic

Monika
[addsig]

Karin Walker  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Agree with Uwe Aug 9, 2002

Maybe this is because we\'re both in Germany, where this would probably be standard, but..

I did this for four months and I would definitely recommend you get a temporary part-time contract. Depending on where you are, you might be eligible for social security, holiday benefits etc. which you would not get if you worked for a fee each day. Also, you\'d probably appreciate the security of a contract if you are being asked to spend a couple of days a week for eight months away from your regular client base. What if they suddenly decide you\'re not required any more and ask you to leave? This would be very easy for the company if you had no contract (= no planning security). Eight months should definitely mean entitlement to leave, even if you\'re part time.

Just my two cents worth.

Alan Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Hourly plus expenses Aug 10, 2002

I regularly work in-house for a client (as well as from my office). I charge an hourly rate plus travelling expenses, plus lunch. Small snacks and coffee are also included

I need between 3/4 and 1 hour to get there. I accept that as part of the contract (as I said, they pay expenses). Of course, the expenses don\'t generally add up to the rate for one hour in the office, but hey, you can\'t have everything (can you?).

Joeri Van Liefferinge  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Aug 12, 2002

Thanks to everyone who contributed!

Joeri

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to charge for working in-house a few days a week?

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs